Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

Former President supports President Sharif

Som@li   

ex-president of Somalia hails Yemen supportive stance

[01 February 2009]

SANA'A, Feb. 01 (Saba) - Somalia's Former President Abdullah Yusef lauded here on Sunday the Yemeni attitudes supporting Somalia to bring security, stability and peace back.

During his meeting with the President Ali Abdullah Saleh, Former Somali President Yusef valued the President's stance sustaining Somalia in all events and at all levels.

He demanded the International community to present the requisite assistance to rebuild Somali and its institutions.

Yusef affirmed that he would assist the new president of Somali Sheik Sharif, asserting that the first task that should be on the table of the new president is bringing security and peace on the Somali land.

President Saleh asserted the significance of supporting the new President Sharif for reinforcing the national Unity and reconstructing the state of Somalia, accenting the importance of the solidarity of all Somalis to achieve that.

The meeting also reviewed the developments and the new situation in Somalia after electing Sharif as a new president.

AF/AF

Saba

Som@li   

Ex-Somali leader advises Sh. Sharif to confront Al Shabaab

1 Feb 1, 2009 - 8:37:36 AM

SANA’A, Yemen Feb 1 (Garowe Online) - Somalia's former leader has advised the incoming president to confront anti-peace groups, namely Al Shabaab hardliners, Radio Garowe reports.

Col. Abdullahi Yusuf resigned as Somalia's interim president in December, after four years in power that saw the rise of the country's Islamic Courts movement.

In a Sunday interview with Al Arabiya, ex-President Yusuf said "many problems" face the new administration, led by a former Islamic Courts chief, Sheikh Sharif Ahmed.

"Al Shabaab is a group that is against peace in Somalia and therefore is the number one problem facing Sheikh Sharif," the former president noted.

Yusuf described Al Shabaab, a breakaway faction of the Islamic Courts, as a "terrorist group," while suggesting that the especially insurgents are strong in the capital, Mogadishu.

When asked if he retired from politics, Yusuf said: "If Al Shabaab attempts to attack Puntland, I will return to the country and I promise to eradicate them."

Yusuf hails from the Puntland region, in northeastern Somalia. He made no mention of new Puntland leader Dr. Abdirahman Farole's refusal to recognize Sheikh Sharif as Somali president.

yusuf6_2.JPG

Col. Abdullahi Yusuf, ex-Somali President

Source: Garowe Online

NASSIR   

Farole must recognize the President and help him "pacify" or work with Al-shabab provided he accepts Kitaabka in wax lagu maamulo & to have a future plan to abolish the 4.5 system.

When asked if he retired from politics, Yusuf said: "If Al Shabaab attempts to attack Puntland, I will return to the country and I promise to eradicate them.

Lol. I laughed hard. He' s still too resolute, too Machiavellian.

Abtigiis   

kana waxay kaga dhagtay argagixiso, even when on his death bed.

It is not conviction; it is opportunism that drives him. Intaasu is leeyahay rer-galbeed ugu dhawoow. And he always had that prerogative of a harlot which he enjoyed with recklessness to paraphrase Baldwin.

He was here with the Ethiopians and US in his side and he left saying "Alshabaab baa dalka haysata" ,,,

I wonder what he would do markan kele ,,,, :D