Sign in to follow this  
Grad Student

the political polarization endemic in the Diaspora

Somali Intellectuals' apathy to partake in somali affairs result single-voiced pundits with limited breadth of the scope to take over in opinion forming forum's, with the exception of this site of course. Believe it or not, I like this site for the simple fact that it offers a venue where dissenting or opposing ideas are freely discussed so long as one displays competence in the "colonial" language and not use "offensive" words. What can I say about the Somali-BBC? I will have to do more research on them.

Of course, the Somali Intellectuals are beaten squarely as they voices are not heard, but they are squashed as they are fettered by the apperantly clan-poralized, image-sensitive environment pravalent in the Diaspora, or are we really that poralized?

Again, prominence in opinion shaping arena depends on understanding of each other-"conditioned" perception of tribal differences. Somalis for some reason seem to relate to each other that is until we find out our a "natural opposing alliagances or belonging to different tribes. I am nowhere qualified to speak for Somali Intellectuals, afterall, I am still in undergraduate student for 6 full time years. But I have to wonder how many Somali intellectauls are actually reading this or frequent these sites that seem to shape the Somali diaspora opinion. Of course, not many. few weeks ago, I wrote a piece urging Somalis to express their opinions about the recent outcome or revelation in Somali affairs to no avial; The not-so-outstanding revelation of all this: Life is complicated, Somalis are busy. Not just busy. Super-busy. over-extended with unrelated priorities of family and career. And therein lies the problem-somali people's opinions are being shaped by ignorant bunch!