Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Ethiopia swaps coffee for drugs

isnt khat haraam? its a drug/stimulant that harms you much in the same way alcohol does so why are people pretending its okay? why is it so acceptable?

Oooh well, the effects of khaat. Very sad story. When M. Siyad Bare banned it, i guess he knew something many did not understand. Since Mr. Bare is long gone, we cant blame him for not doing enough. Personally, Khaat is stinks. Dont see wat is the benifit in it. The funniest dilemma is that when you ask people the benefit of khaat, the answer is always the same which is "it makes us work hard long hours at night". Have you ever seen any work being done at all? People dont just wana face the fact. Khaat is very addictive drug. Yeah it is a drug. Just like Cocaine and Heroin.The saddiest thing is that Senerior Officials (which by the way happen to be addicted to khaat) are negligent to stop it and plus the business profit is good, real good. Hopefully we will soon have some thing like Opium War in China that brings about change in East Africa, specially Somalia. Dream On. I dont SOMALIS will ever have some one as good as Siyad Bare, He atleast new that Khaat was addictive drug. If you r a khaat eater and you reading this comment, i have an advice for you. "CHECK INTO THE NEAREST DRUG REHAB CENTER" ;)

N.O.R.F   

I just dont see gaad being banned in any part of Somalia. Too many ppl have become addicted including officials, controlling the drug is more realistic, having rules in place which govern amounts grown/sold/consumed etc. It will be difficult to monitor but some sort of framework is needed, plus jobs.

Liqaye   

intreasting tidbit.....

In an interview Mohamed Egal was asked why he did not ban khat even though he knew the adverse affects of it on the productivity of the economy and on the social fabric.

I remeber he turned round and pointed to the bodyguard nearest to him and said " they are the first men who would kill me if i ever itimated such a thing"

that really scared me.....for somalia.