Sign in to follow this  
Nationalist

AU will accept Somalia’s request for peacekeeping force

AU will accept Somalia’s request for peacekeeping force

- Monday, October 25, 2004 at 15:04

25 October 2004

ADDIS ABABA - The African Union is likely to accept a request by Somalia’s new President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed for a peacekeeping force of up to 20,000, but details have to be worked out, a senior official of the organization said.

An African Union fact-finding mission will go to conflict-ravaged Somalia next month as part of a process of drawing up a concrete peacekeeping plan, said Said Djinnit, African Union commissioner for peace and security.

“I am convinced and confident that the Peace and Security Council will in principle accept to support the request to undertake some peace support operations in Somalia to support institutions,†Djinnit said before the council began discussing Yusuf’s request Monday.

The Horn of Africa country has been divided into fiefdoms ruled by rival warlords since 1991, when longtime dictator Mohamed Siad Barre was ousted. Yusuf was sworn in on Oct. 14 after a 275-member transitional parliament elected him.

Source: http://www.khaleejtimes.com

Lads, don't start to cheer or wheep, whatever your view on this matter is. But there is still no definite decision, one thing I'm for certain is that there will be a significant amount of troops reserved for Abdullahi Yusuf's request.

Remember that the US troops on Somali soil, fighting Gen Aidid in Mogadishu and Gen Morgan in Kismayu while protecting the food convoys destined to Baidoa were numbering in the 35 000 inculding elite commandos.

NGONGE   

I still can’t get my head round this idea of peacekeeping forces, saaxib. What peace and keeping it from whom?

What sort of weapons and artillery do usual peacekeeping troops use? Will their presence alone deter the troublemakers from making trouble?

What rally irks me though is that the fact that they’re African troops! Couldn’t we ask Pakistan or Bangladesh to send their own troops, they’ll do a much better job than the incompetent Africans. :mad:

lol sahib! The Africans are not incompetent at all, but especially the Nigerians have an attitude problem. The peoples of Sierra Leone and Liberia have witnessed this. Fortunately we are East Africans, so the range of nationalities will be limited to East African and Central African troops whom are farely trained and disciplined. But I know what you mean, but a common fact is that Somalia will just have to be suffice with our African brothers.

They'll be keeping the peace from some Mog militia leaders and other militia leaders throughout the south of our country whom will sabotage the new government's control on Somalia. We Somalis know one thing and that is not to trust Mog and South militia leaders. They sworn and lied with impunity in the past and they might do it again.

I don't know how they'll be armed, but their presence will (hopefully) be limited to government buildings, airports, ports etc. In the long run it will cut off any supply to the opposing militias from whereon they'll deteriorate into morbidness. Gradually and hopefully the country will come back to normal.

The troops will only be deployed in the chaotic south, I would strongly oppose if Abdullahi Yusuf will bring them into the allready peaceful regions of Puntland and Somaliland or command them into direct attacks in areas he has no political/popular support yet.