Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Premier Mohamed A. Mohamed: The Feudal, Warlord States of Northern Somalia

NASSIR   

From Somalia's Premier Mohamed A. Mohamed's thesis, almost the same views hold by many leaders, including Yoweri Musaveni of Uganda.

Somalia always has been a strategic location, but the U.S. effectively neglected it between Clinton's 1994 pullout and the advent of the War on Terrorism in 2001. Washington feared the impact of terrorism growing all around the world,33 particularly in failed states such as Somalia and Afghanistan. Al-Qaeda threatened more than once that they would bring their jihad against the U.S. and its regional ally, Ethiopia. In response,
Washington committed another foreign policy blunder. As allies, it solicited none other than the Somali warlords who had effectively feudalized and starved the country.
Thus, against its policy and ideals,
the United States effectively legitimized their reign of terror.
In the process of continued feuding for control of territories,
warlords established two semi-autonomous governments: Somaliland in the northwest and Puntland in the northeast of Somalia.
Southern Somalia, including Mogadishu and Kismayo, were still lawless - ravaged by clan warfare and mired in destruction and starvation.34 American's primary goal was to partner any allies in support of the War on Terrorism in the Horn region.

I think I have to retract my intial comment regarding the J. Peter Pham column on the premier - even neoconservatives tell the truth some of the time. Perusing the PM's shallow thesis, I can't help but think he lacks the kind of political sophistication and historical discernment required in a national leader. Some of the passages could have been easily written by Palin, if Palin were a fawning Siyadist.