Mogadishu Will Only Be Safe Once Abdullahi Arrives

Mogadishu Will Only Be Safe Once Abdullahi Arrives

The East African (Nairobi)

OPINION

January 17, 2005

Posted to the web January 18, 2005

Maxamed Xaaji Ingiriis

Nairobi

With clan conflicts, lack of rule of law and chaos rife, Somalia is not hospitable to its inhabitants - Somalis and non-Somalis alike.

Recently, there was the murder of the mayor of Cadaado Mohamed Mohamud Siad "Suley" and the killing of the well-respected former army general, Mohamed Abdi Mohamed, just after he had said his prayers at a mosque in Mogadishu.

There is much senseless killing going on, such as the recent fatal shootings of the general manager of Al-Barakaat, Abbas Abdi Ali, again, in front of a mosque, and that of a prominent lawyer in the street of Bakaraha. These men were real treasures for Somalia and their deaths are tragedies that the country can ill afford.

It's not just in Mogadishu. In Hargeisa capital of somaliland, last week, two men who were related to Ismail Aden Osman, the Homeland Minister, were killed.

Last year, there were murders of numerous foreign relief workers, including two British citizens, an Italian and a Kenyan national. Though Hargeisa enjoys relative peace, southern Somalia is a most perilous place to work.

Lately, fierce fighting has flared up across the country. Inter-clan war backed by the fiendish business community of both sides is currently going on in the central regions of Hobyo and Gelinsor. Conflict also hit the Sool area, over a territorial dispute between Somaliland and Puntland.

Certainly, these battles serve to entrench the image of Somalis the Western world as a people who possess neither rules for war nor any kind of rule of law. But the traditional history of Somalia is against that. Our ancestors had a customary code of law called Xeer, which was used to defuse hostilities among clans and elders went to great lengths to placate tensions among them.

Today, wicked politics dominate our culture, brushing aside the traditional Xeer. British journalist Joseph Winter writes, "Guns have become a part of everyday life in Somalia." A French aid worker by the true conception as saying "Somalia is a country where everybody wants to shoot everybody."

The reality of Somalia is that warlords incite their militias to create and occupy power vacuums, aggravating the cycle of atrocities in the process. "The sooner the people of Somalia are helped to get rid of warlords, the sooneranother potential safe haven for terrorists will have been removed from the map," an exiledSomali professor wrote last year.

But the most basic challenge is how to interpret the problems of a population that shares a common religion, ethnicity, language, culture and so much more, which became fragmented. Somalia was among countries affected by the tsunami tragedy. The UN aid agencies and other international aid organisations hesitated to send rescue teams, food and clean water, citing lack of security.

Hundreds of people reportedly died in the disaster and the scale of the tragedy turned out to be greater than it was first presumed. Harried by bandits with guns, people across the country still need urgent recovery from the wounds of war, and even the armed militias would not oppose their much needed rehabilitation.

But even after a two-year long process of peace talks culminating in a government of national unity accommodating warlords that was approved in Kenya almost three months ago, the government is yet to relocate to Somalia.

One of the reasons is that elected President Col Abdullahi Yusuf is not from Mogadishu, but from northeastern region of Puntland, which has no influence on what is happening in the country's most important yet most volatile city - the capital, Mogadishu. The president himself reportedly said in a meeting in Nairobi with his clan that, "Mogadishu has too many warlords and too many technical-wagons, and so it is not pragmatic to move to a city without law and order."

Doesn't Mr Yusuf grasp that he's the one that the ordinary people are waiting for, the one to whom they're looking to set up a police force and reinstate stability, or is he just good at throwing the first stone at peace?

Relevant Links

Maxamed Xaaji Ingiriis is a Somali journalist based in Brussels. He has been associate editor with the Ayaamaha newspaper in Mogadishu for the past five years.

E-mail: :ingiriis@yahoo.com

Qudhac   

MUQDISHO MUQDISHO MUMMY I WANT TO BE THE PRESIDENT OF MUQDISHO...

MUMMY ZENAWI I WANT MY MILK AND MUQDISHO NOW.

MUHAAAAAAAAAAH MUAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D

The dude who wrotte the article is from Mogadishu's big guns. And he illustrated the point nicely, its Abdullahi it waits for. Cause the big man is the President of all of Somalia, including the Berbera-Burco-Traingle :D

As for Qudac bro you hellucinating, cause as I told you before Xamar is the Capital of Somalia and we will see how long you boys stay out of it. Alas you always were slow :D

Originally posted by Qudhac:

MUQDISHO MUQDISHO MUMMY I WANT TO BE THE PRESIDENT OF MUQDISHO...

Maybe Now you know what i was talking about when i opened that thread of "Mogadishu´s rejection to A/Yusuf = Somaliland´s recognition".

Duke (Abti) .... the notion "Somalia is not hospitable to its inhabitants - Somalis and non-Somalis alike" is nothing but a twisted logic to the equation that it is inhospitable to A/Yusuf and his government.

And as for quchac n his Hargeisa club beein too slow :D , what could they have done batter or faster for that matter? claim beein royal? :D they´ve used every possible card.

Again my theory of both puntland and Somaliland contributing to the fall of what used to be Somalia in the simple intrest of certain clans is strenthened.

Sky   

eyo duke valetino we will see when cabdulahi yusuf comes to xamar. this must be funny, cuz you must be crazy if you think there aint gonna be no assasination attempts on his a.ss. but news is flying around that cabdulahi yusuf is going to gaalkacayo to meet cadde muuse and his hometown. honestly i think its bullshit, but we'll see. maybe the korneyl got fed up with people saying that he cant set foot on somalia again.

Somali’s can’t see beyond today, they lack any vision. Whose interest is it that the murders, raping, looting and the destruction of the Somali name to stop. Is this need for change exclusive to one region or clan?

Mogadishu is the capital of the nation; this is a fact a truth of which I had nothing to do with and which I can not over look. The government of the nation must eventually control the capital. That’s a fact. This fact will undoubtedly bother a number of groups on SOL, for example it will bother to a lesser extent those who happen to dislike the head of state for clan reasons, individuals such as Jumatutu and JB. :D

However this fact will bother most those groups who suffer from delusional grandeur, who believe that their small clan has a country of its own.

Somalia has been through many phases. Today is the end of the civil war phase, in this time many supposed truth’s that came about due to the war will be confronted. The capital can no longer be a place of lawlessness hostage to a few merciless individuals. Neither can the unity and territorial integrity of Somalia be an issue.

Out of the two groups mentioned prior, the secessionist group have the smaller room to manoeuvre, they are isolated and outside the game, they do not posses the strength to impose their won conditions on the reality of tomorrow. The other group will recover in time for their time will eventually come. Then they will embrace what they despise today.

:D

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Duke_Valantino:

for example it will bother to a lesser extent those who happen to dislike the
head of state for clan reasons, individuals such as Jumatutu and JB.[/b

Need I say that u admire him for exactly the opposite factor.. :D

lol, Juma what ever my admiration he is the President. Like I said before its not a major problem as oneday someone to your clan liking will become President. Then we will both admire :D

Its the other crew who will find a functioning Somalia a problem. ;)