Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland keen to host US base, hopeful on Oil

Somaliland should be prepared to give inorder for it to get what it wants. What it wants at this particular time is political support for its quest for international recognition.

If that comes at the expense of hosting American base in Berbera, so be it. The Americans had a base in Berbera before so I don't think it would make any difference. And besides, the only port that we rely on were built by the successive Russian and American governments.

Thankful   

Your leader went to the U.S and was specifically told they wouldn't recognize you and that his visit was in no way an indication that they were on the verge of doing so. They even sent a press release to assure other concerned parties of their position and told you to take it up with the AU. After all that he still offers to give them a base. I've been to Djbouti and was shocked how poor it was, in many cases the people are worse off then some places in Somalia. There are tons of foreign troops from a wide variety of nations there including the US. They've done nothing to address the poverty there, maybe photo ops of helping locals in their hospitals and training police. I figured this must be related to Kosovo and how they succeeded in getting recognition, while having a large US troop presence. But the problem is, like the US has already made clear, this has to do with the AU. It's completely different situation. It's surprising your willing to risk your peace in order to achieve your obsession of being recognized. You have no clue what the US will bring.

Originally posted by Suldaanka:

If that comes at the expense of hosting American base in Berbera, so be it.
The Americans had a base in Berbera before so I don't think it would make any difference. And besides, the only port that we rely on were built by the successive Russian and American governments.

As well as Kismayo and Mogadisho. Our Berbera port was built by our former government. America and Russia gave us the technical assistance and loans.