Sign in to follow this  
Ana_Juwa2

Somalia Require Genuine Reconciliation and Political Compromise - Not a Misguided Con

I must point out I don't particularly think the article is a true reflection of the current state of affairs in Somali, however the points raised below I think are the best way forward beyond this Current TFG.

A lot of contributors to the politics section who are in favour of the TFG have asked what will happen if the TFG is defeated disbanded, a return to Chaos looting and warlord fiefdoms? as a pretext to legitimise the colonisation and foreign interference that is currently destroying any hope or future for Somali's in Somalia.

If I were to advise the international community, Mr. Ali Mahdi and his team, the TFG, UIC and other opposition groups I would have asked them to ponder on the following principles / points for I believe these recommendations could help foster genuine reconciliation and peace culture in Somalia, .

1) That Ethiopia withdraws its troops / agents from Somalia fully and immediately – and in a verifiable manner;

2) That the TFG continues to govern Somalia until at the end of its mandate on August 2009;

3) That the Union of Islamic Courts and other opposition groups renounce the use of violence against the TFG and transform themselves as political parties;

4) That the TFG renounces the use of force to fight, intimidate and prosecute the opposition groups and pledge to accept them as legitimate national stake holders;

5) Free and fair national election for Somalia; election managed and monitored by the UN and held at the end of the TFG mandate in 2009; (Let the people decide who should run their affairs; the Somali people waited too long; and this is not too much to ask);

6) A government of National Unity should be created; the form and the composition of this lean caretaker administration should be determined by the Reconciliation Committee; this government could be an augmentation of the TFG – incorporating in its ranks - senior Islamists, dissident TFG MPs and independent Somali technocrats- the Cabinet should not exceed more than a dozen Ministers;

7) Independent Reconciliation Commission must be created for Somalia – a Commission whose responsibility is to undertake a un-politicized national healing process;

8) Mutual amnesty should be offered to all combatants who took part the wars between the TFG and its opposition;

9) Warlords must not be allowed to regain their influences;

10) The TFG must not equate Political Islam with terrorism and it should allow Somalis who want Islam to shine in their country the deserved political space;

I think the points raised by the articles author here as a guide to reconciling and saving the political situation is pretty good.

However I don't imagine now in the midst of the devastation and indiscriminate killings of civilians, the targeting of a particular clan and its sub clan will be forgotten easily, perhaps render point 9 impossible to truly reconcile.

However this sounds like a solution. The question is there any will in the so called International community to put up a diplomatic fight to out manoveore the US-Ethopian led efforts in our failed state?