Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

Somalia: More fighting reported in Puntland

Som@li   

BOSSASO,(Garowe Online)- At least 3 people were reported dead today after clan Militias...

April 3,2006

Attacked a Puntland garrison tasked to protect scientists collecting data in Majayahan. It was the second surprise attack in less than a week.

Majayahan village located 35 km South West of Bosaso is known for its zinc and rich minerals.

The Puntland administration has not commented on the bloody incident yet. Clan militias oppose the exploration for natural resources in Sanaag region. Puntland President Mohamud “Adde†Muse sent his security forces into the area over three weeks ago to implement a controversial agreement he signed last year with an Australian company, Range Resources, Ltd.. But his forces have encountered tough resistance from the local population.

Clan militias who are defending their traditional lands from exploitation have received moral and political support from a group of federal parliamentians who held a press conference in Baidoa – Somalia’s temporary capital – on March 21st and demanded that Puntland security forces retreat from eastern Sanaag.

Nonetheless, the implemention of the Puntland-Range Resources “agreement†is contributing to instability in the region.

Read : Related News

Garoweonline.com

Som@li   

Coverage of Puntland "conflict"

I am interested in your coverage of the conflicts that are rumoured to take place regarding the mining of natuaral resources in the state of Puntland.

Your articles seem to constantly portray negativity towards the course of action the Puntland government has taken.

While the loss of life as a result of these conflicts is devastating, I believe it is in the interests of all Puntlander's and Somali's to see the government, along with Consort and Range Resources, make progress on this front.

I have read Range Resources most recent summary and they appear to be following due diligence and protocol with regard to understanding the area, building an experienced geological team, and entering into negotiations that will ultimately bring about the best possible outcome for the people of Somalia.

In your latest article "3 killed in attack on Puntland Security forces'' the last sentence states that "Adde Muse has put forth this agenda to extract natural resources without the approval of the natives and the people of Puntland".

Isnt it the Presidents job to make decisions on what he believes is in the best interest of the Puntland people?

To say there is no approval of the natives and people of Puntland i believe is incorrect. One or two potential isolated incidents is not sufficient cause to generalise in my opinion.

The development of natural resources represents a unique opportunity for infrastructure, jobs, housing and economic growth to take place in Puntland. I think that alot worse could happen that the media getting behind the progress that is being made.

Regards

Ashley

Som@li   

3 Killed in attack on Puntland Security forces

• Bosaso,Somalia- New fighting was reported last night, which has erupted between ....

Militias loyal to the Puntland President and clan militias encamped in their traditional lands.

According to reports, the Puntland leader’s militias suffered 3 deaths and 5 casualties during the skirmish and some wounded militias were than brought back into Bossaso general hospital.

Majayahan village located 35 km South West of Bosaso is known for its zinc and rich minerals.

It’s the second time the security forces were under attack with conflict over natural resources which has sparked a debate within Puntland and in Somalia. Several members of the Somali transitional federal government (TFG) spoke out last week about the conflict, putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of Puntland president Adde Muse for pushing forth the agenda to extract natural resources without the approval of the natives and the people of Puntland.

Garoweonline.com

Som@li   

Wararkii ugu danbeeyey ee Majiyahan:- Gurmad ciidan oo kasoo baxay Magaalada Garoowe

Posted to the Web Apr 04, 15:16

Boosaaso:- Wararka aanu ka helnay magaalada Garoowe ee caasimada Dawlad goboleedka Puntland ee Soomaaliya ayaa sheegay in halkaasi ay ciidan xoogan kasoo anbo baxay saaka aroornimadii.

Warku waxa intaa ku darayaa ciidankani inuu ku hubeysan yahay baaburta gaashaaman ee dagaalka oo tiro badan, lana sheegin inta ay yihiin ayaa jidka dheer isku soo xirey.

Intaa waxaa dheer in isla ciidankaasi uu oo jidka kusii jira uu dhacey shil baabuur oo keentey in labo askari ay dhintaan, tiro aan la garaneyn ayna dhaawacmeen.

Gurmadkan ciidanka ayaad moodaa iney keentey kadib markii ay timi in labo jeer ciidanka Ilaalada Cade Muuse looga adkaaday dhowr jeer goobta ay gar darada ugu soo duuleen.

Tani waxay keentey colaad hor leh oo ka ololi karta beelahii ku midowbay dhidibo u aaskii Puntland oo qarka u saaran waxa culumada dagaalku u yaqaaniin "full scale war" kadib markay soo shaac baxday in Cade Muuse uu doonayo in Xoog lagu dhameeyo qaskan taagan.

Dhinaca furinta ayaa maanta qabow inkastoo hub urursi iyo diyaar garow dagaali ay ka jiraan kadib markay xaleyto goor danbe gurmad Cade Muuse Dhiniciisa ahi uu ka baxay Dekeda Boosaaso.

Mar aanu la xiriirney qaar ka mid ah siyaasiyiinta ku sugan Boosaaso ee kasoo jeeda beel ahaan Warsangeli ayaa noo xaqiijiyey in saan saan colaadeed la dareemayo, Ciidankii Sanaagna uu ku dhawaaqey iney diyaar yihiin, sheegeyna in Galayr diyaar yahay.

LaasqorayNet

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum,

These reports illy comprehend with the truth on the ground. They are labeling one side as being a "clan milia" and the other side of being a security forces. I am not siding with anyone nor do I have the intentions to do so, but I just think that all the Somali sites, newspapers, and articles are tribally motivated, therefore they speak with no truth all, rather they tell one exagerated side of the story.

Assalamu Calaykum.