Sign in to follow this  
SeefTa

......WHERE'S THE WATER AT..????......

SeefTa   

aslaamu calaykum guys...ive started this topic because of a recent talk ive had with my father who went back home to somalia a few days ago..while talkin to him, i asked how it is back home..and so he told me about the need for water..water is so scarce in somalia..that its transported from the cities to the towns, only for purchase: NO MONEY, NO WATER!!...keep in mind the cities themselves lack water for months at a time...at the thought of our poeple lacking the very essence of life: water, put a punch in my stomach and left me without air..and then on the contrary, when you contemplate on how many of us are here in the qurbaha who have degrees and are doin well, and yet completely unaware of the circumstances the poeple who are still back home are living in, is a tragedy. DONT FORGET THIS IS OUR HOMELAND, WHICH WE ALL "LOVE".Now imagine those who are poor and cannot afford water.

So, i came up with this thought of starting a topic on brainstorming on the ways we would be able to meet the needs of our people, in need of water. this topic might seem too broad at first glance, but its not. we have all these non-sense topics on qabiil, politics, jokes etc. WHY NOT ON ONE WHICH ACTUALLY FOCUSES ON SOMETHING SPECIFIC AND FRUITFULL.

I have deliberately chosen this section to start this topic: galvanize all of you intellects. I again repeat the question: How would you make water accessible in somalia (and i mean in todays time = NO GOV't)..first thing is first...HOW WOULD YOU RAISE THE MONEY?..or..WHERE WOULD YOU SEEK TO FIND THE INVESTMENT?......

....What sounds foolish to the wise, sounds wise to the foolish....so said by the Big Marqaan. :D

Joke aside - *****aykum Salaam horta.

there are few of us in here (SOL) who already implementing the content of your topic - so when we call upon you in the coming weeks for your contribution (if they are ideas only we would like you to implement them) be sure to have the somalinimo and the love your are talkign about above.

P.s. where are you in the word?

SeefTa   

^^^ sxb anigu somalinimo waan ku seexdaa kuna soo toosaa..let me know whuts up..im the states by the way...and also i like that status man...u know magaca "sayid" waa magac weyn sxb..inoo ilaali...

P.S. thanks for pointing out the irony in my username and signature....lool...marqaan weyne means something completely different tho...

-------------------------------------------------

back to the topic.

IM STILL WAITING PPL!!!!

Coloow   

Marqaan weyn,

A good topic sxb, water ( I remember writing a composition about water when I was finishing my primary school )is the singel most important resource; and could infact be used to explain wars.

I have a nomadic background and the search for water is the cause of many conflicts. I have bought landrovers, donkeys, even dug a few wells , but the problem is not easy to solve

We need some low tech innovations.

SeefTa   

Since the biggest hinderance of solving this problem is financial capacity, we should try and find non-profit agencies or even companies who are willing to support this cause. thats just a rough idea, please contribute ppl.

Raamsade   

Somalia is indeed, comparatively speaking, dry country with little water. The trails and tribulation Somalis are currently facing are to significant extent explainable by water scarcity. However, water scarcity should provide the incentive for Somalis to be more ingenious in how they overcome it and be more efficient. I foresee 3 mutually inclusive ways to overcome water scarcity.

1. Improve water infrastructure - this includes not only digging new wells, finding new aqueducts, constructing modern water systems in most large urban centers and so on but also building national/regional water carrier system similar to what they have in Israel and California. This system will allow for more efficient allocation of water by diverting water from where it's plentiful to water scarce regions.

2. Water conservation - Somalis need to be educated about using water more efficiently. Whether they're farmers who rely on irrigation, urban dwellers or manufacturers (whatever little there is)... all need to be mindful of the need for water conservation. If you're farmer, use drip irrigation. If you live in cities and do gardening, water your garden after sunset to limit the amount of water you lose to evaporation. And if people are not voluntarily allocating water in efficient manner, then force them through pricing. Implement water pricing based on demand and usage (the more you use, the more you pay). Lastly, better rain harvesting techniques.

3. Invest in desalination - with all its drawbacks, desalination of seawater is becoming an attractive proposition as more and more countries face water shortages. One of the biggest drawbacks of desalination has always been high energy consumption. This is not really a drawback for Somalia since the country is blessed with a great wind and solar energy potential. The whole desalination process can become self-sustaining as renewable energy powers the desalination plant that uses virtually renewable seawater.

SeefTa   

RAAMSADE...thanks for your contribution sxb..its much appreciated...but how do u think we can finance this...from our ( diaspora ) perspective..alxamdulilah there are many ppl who would not hesitate in providing the ideas and effort, but what we lack is the finance...ANY CONTRIBUTIONS ON THIS?

Raamsade   

^Peace and stability comes before financing. You can have all the funding in the world but that would amount to nothing if where the project is to be implemented in the midst of civil strife. Achieve peace first and then tackle financing second.

About financing, it depends on who is undertaking the project. If it is national or local government, the financing will come from them. If it NGOs (i.e. FAO), again the financing can come from them. If it is NGO that you started, you can get funding from various sources both private and public. But if it is an individual project, then you got your work cut out for you. It's doable though so long as you aim for realistic targets. Don't plan on building desalination plant on your own. Whoever you appeal to for funding make sure you appeal to their self-interest and not out of their sense of charity.

SeefTa   

^^^thanks man...as far as the peace, although muqdisho is in a terrible situation, there are many parts of somalia that are in peace, yet still very underdeveloped...yes, i am aware that one needs to first crawl before walking: start small..again much appreciated sxb..i guess ive got some research to do....