Sign in to follow this  
Zaylici

series of papers that I ahve written

Zaylici   

Time is primary unit of measurement employed in history to categorize events. These events are mainly product of collective actions pursued by various groups to benefit themselves. Rare processes in human history have ever produced a considerable effect in planetary scale. Amongst these rare process is the European colonialism.

History whether it is cyclical that repeats itself in a given period of time, or whether it is rectilinear in nature is not matter that is important for our inquiry, what is important for us in this paper is the internal dynamics of the decolonization process. One of the important processes in 50s and 60s was the process of decolonazation and the establishment of states in the third world countries.

This process has disturbed an established traditional authorities and the communal life that flourished since time immemorial. The chaotic conditions induced by the colonization process in Africa had contributed to the boom of large urban centers and urban political elites who assumed an intermediary position between colonialists and the African masses.

The interactions between the urban elites and the colonialists is significant matter that is worth of examination, to do so, I have to examine the nature of the political leadership of the elites. I will also examine the objectives of the colonialists and how the attempt to attain their objectives shaped the socio-economic and political conditions of the colonized masses. In examining the objectives of the colonialists I will emphasize the significance of the colonial economy and it’s implications on the newly independent states. In order to illuminate this matter I will consider the theories of modernizations, labor divisions and the role of the international institutions such as IMF and World Bank. To complete this discussion I will examine whether these interactions contributed to the existing conditions in any way that may have a considerable consequences.

In my case study, I will focus on the implications of the decolonazation and the subsequent establishment of independent state in Somalia 1960. This is the period that I would like to examine whether it was a continuation of history or new beginning in the Somali social, economic and political organization. This was crucial period in the Somali political history. To better understand this matter I would consider Henna Ardenet’s understanding of revolution. More particularly, I would examine whether the whole concept of social question as it relates to the eradication of poverty and human misery is integrated in the social economic and political programs of the elites. I will also consider the modernization theories to illuminate the nature of the transformation in this period of Somali history.

Somalis are ancient people who live in the eastern tip of Africa; this land has long history that stretches 2000 BC. City-states with considerable commercial ties with outside world particularly with eastern civilizations had flourished before the Common Era.

The reason why it is interesting to closely examine this country is because of the uniqueness in terms of commonly shared traits such as language, culture, religion and history. This phenomenon is rare in the African nation-states. Ironically, the country has slipped in to anarchy and disintegration. It was commonly believed in 1960s that Somalia was not prone to disintegration compared to the rest of the African states.

I have consulted with the following the books.

1 “the Somali challenge from catastrophe to renewal.”

Edited by Ahmed I.Samatar. ( Colorado: lynne Rienner Publishers, 1994)

2- I. M. Lewis peoples of the horn Africa. (London: The Red sea Press Incorporation, 1998)

3- I. M. Lewis Modern History of Somalia (London: Westview press Inc, 1965).

4 Salwe, Abdisalam Issa: cold water fallout (London: HAAN publishing, 2000)

hey Zaylici it's seems an interesting introduction to the paper you seemed to have written. I liked how you went from broad to smaller more focused thesis to write about. maybe some time later u might able to post pieces of it periodioclly. see u around insha allah. oh yeah welcome to somaliaonline and hope u enjoy your stay here. peace take care