Sign in to follow this  
Dhimbil

Original Meaning of Terrorism:

Dhimbil   

Authors David B. Kobel and Joseph Olson

Note that "the word 'terrorism' originated in the french Revolution, when the government instituted the 'Reign of Terror' to execute political opponents, seize their property and terrorize the rest of the population into submission. Terrorist was first defined as: 'In the French Revolution, an adherent or supporter of the Jocobins, who advocated and practiced methods of partisan repression and bloodshed in the propagation of the principles of democracy and equality," quoting from the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (1993), p.358.

So the American definition of terrorism is a reversal of the word's original meaning, given in the Oxford English Dictionary as "government by intimidation" but today it used as "intimidation of government" interesting, ha. I didn't know this until i saw it on OneWorld mag.

peace

Indeed very interesting. a reseveral of the defintion to suit ones one need. 'intimidation by govnt', to 'intimidation of govnt' which is patently absurd in respect of the united states. i Mean how can one intimidate the u.s? Just goes to shows the hypocricies that are inherent in the way the propergators (which in this case is u.s, u.k etc etc) to try to discribe wot goes on around the world.