Sign in to follow this  
Garmaqaate

Soomaalinimo?

Waa su'aal ee

Maxay tahay soomaalinimo?

I have been trying to answer this question. And I am still struggling to find an answer. It is 2009, more than a century since the birth of this powerful idea. The idea has suffered in recent years from a political disarray in the mother country. I am still on a quest to get an answer. See http://samadoone.blo gspot.com/

Ismahaan   

Somalinimo waa in aad somalia wadani ah tahay.

Somaliduna wadani ma aha ee waa qabilista yaal. Marka ilaa Soomaalidu qabiilka ka gudbaan Soomaalinimo ma jirto ee qabiilnimo baa jirta.

Ismahaan, waad mahansan tahay aad iyo aad. Qabiilku wuxuu ka mid yahay waxyaabaha soomaalidu soomaali ka dhigo. Dhibaatada nahaysata ma'aha wax uu qabiil dhaliyay laakinse waa arin uu qabiileysiku keenay.

I believe we can transform the clan from a source that generates conflict and mould it into an avenue that can create stability.

I do not know if you visited the blog above in afsoomaali but I wrote the "somalinimo" piece a while back. I was working in the refugee camps at the time and I met this lady, with a severe thyroid problem. She was from the Somali region of Ethiopia. She told me how soldiers came to their village and killed all their livestock. How their young men were either killed or imprisoned. She was jailed for months and gang raped by Ethiopian forces. She had bayonet scars on her inner thighs to prove it. As I looked at those scars, I swelled up. A few tear drops ran down my face. I could not help but feel a little bit—a tiny little bit—of the agony this lady went through. An agony she suffered because of her identity.

follow the link below of my "garqaate" blog to read the transaltion and the background story. The blog is in English.

http://garqaate.blog spot.com/