Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

2010 World cup draw

BOB   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

I bet Luis Fabiano will not be the main striker come 2010 World Cup. The speedy Nilmar, Robinho and Alexander Pato of Milan are ready. Tell me if any team has a better attack force if these guys start.

A&T Oh My God....Do you honestly believe what you just wrote here?

Ivory Coast has more world class strikers than them...Didier Drogba and Solomon Kalou of Chelsea, Aruna Dindane of Portsmouth,Bakari Kone of Marseille, Aruna Kone of Seville, Boubacar Sanogo (Watch this guy) of Saint-Etinne.

They even have their own Ronaldinho in Gervinho who plays for Lille and he's only 22...this kid will embarrass Brazil and Portugal back line...mark my words.

PS. Tsss Tsss A&T...Hana ceebeyn ee la xishoo qashinka aad meesha kusoo qortay...don't you know there's a team called Spain who have far more talented players than any team in the world and do you even see a team that can even match the goal scoring talents of Toress and Villa in ONE team never mind surpass it and which midfield in the world can compare to Xavi, Iniesta and Fabulous Fabregas? A&T taageere waa la noqdaa oo anigaba Brazil baan taageeraa but you're beginning to sound like an English journalist...naga daa buunbuuninta beenta ah ee aad meesha la dhex boodeyso...cid weyn oo malyuumaad ah baad oday utahaye. ;)

Peace, Love & Unity.

MZanzi   

lool@cid weyn oo malyuumaad ah baad oday utahaye A&T adeer BOB xataa waa ujeeda inaad hurdada kasoo kicisay marka kubada haba'an mumbathan ayaad katahay ee sheekoyinki xrated ah iska so qor qor icon_razz.gif

Abtigiis   

Dear BOB,

Clearly, you are romantic when it comes to football. Why would it matter if one beats someone with pace or with technic as long as the end is to score? Marc Overmars was a superb player and all he has was a great sprint!!

In terms of quality, tell me if the following players are not superb:

Pato, Felipe Melo, Diego, Ramires, Dani Alves, Nilmar, Robinho, Lucio

We can say Brazil is not playing an attractive football, but to say they don't have quality players is not right.

What did Romario do in 94? Finish up few balls that anyone could have scored! I think Luis Fabiano runs and assists the team more than Romario. Without Zinho, Mazinho, Bebeto, Dunga, Branco and Taffarel Romario would have done nothing!

Edit:

Sorry BOB, except Solomon Kalou, none of those you talked about are great. Dindane was superb few years ago, but I think he is his twilight. Drogba is good only for chelsea, but a big disappointment for the national team.

By the way, ninkan aad Torres leedahay waa nin diciif ah. Waxaan magac aheyn meesha kuma hayo. Ronney is 200% better than him. Villa lafitiisu hadda sidii hore ma'aha. Magac uun in la iska raaco ma aha.

Ivory coast'da aad sheegi adigaa arki doona waxa ku daca. Was Drogba and all those others not there when Egypt gave them that lesson in 2008?!!

Anigu magac la sheegsheego ciyaartooy kuma raaco. Like you have this Benny McCarthy oo laga dhigo big guy in South Africa. He has a better name than all other guys. But he is below all of the strikers who started for SA in the confed cup!

Originally posted by Norfsky:

Brazil do well when they have a focal point.

Luis Fabiano is their star striker lol

Duke, we agree on something then lol

Norf, in Football we have much agreement, A&T is just another Somali who thinks by supporting Brazil he is giving us an insight something special.

The world cup has yet to begin, but I have much doubt about Brazil this time round. Spain is the team to watch, they did great in the European championships. England with Copello will be different.

Now what about the Africans?

Abtigiis   

General Duke,

Now you go to personal opinions about what you think will happen when I challenged you with the facts and records about your false assertions yesterday.

Anyway, follow the hype about Spain and England. Let us wait and see. In football, anything can happen, but current Brazil side is a better team than those I watched in the last couple of World Cups.

MZanzi   

DUKE, I think one of the African team will be a surprise package in the world cup. ... Specifically i think the Ivory coast will do well ...

FU-FU: I have not seen the new Ivory Coast play yet, but they do have a number of stars so I agree with you they might be the team we have been waiting for.

A&T aside from your usual attention seeking you provided nothing meaningful. Though Cameron I agree should do well.

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by General Duke:

Brazil on the other hand are always the favorite and usually only win world cups against weaker opposition, every time they come against a team with a decent side they melt, ....

If they come against, Spain, Italy or Argentina they will melt again with their tails between their legs.

I disproved your above assertions with facts and figures. And then, all you can do is to go personal. For once, please try to say I got it wrong. But then again, that is not in your blood. Isn't it?

When one is analysisng football, he/she needs to look at the recent results of the sides. Brazil's superiority to Argentina and Italy in the last four years is underlined by the fact that they beat Italy twice and Argentina four times.

Also, how good is a team is not judged by the number of superstars they have. Argentina have better stars than Brazil right now, in the shape of Tevez, Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Gago, etc but is a struggling team. In Marcello Bielsa's Chile on the otherhand, you will be hard pressed to name one star. Yet, as a team they are superb and strong.

If you don't understand that simple fact, your football knowledge comes under question.

Abtigiis   

Uncle BOB,

Ivory Coast has more world class strikers than them...Didier Drogba and Solomon Kalou of Chelsea, Aruna Dindane of Portsmouth,Bakari Kone of Marseille, Aruna Kone of Seville, Boubacar Sanogo (Watch this guy) of Saint-Etinne.

They even have their own Ronaldinho in Gervinho who plays for Lille and he's only 22...this kid will embarrass Brazil and Portugal back line...mark my words.

Alle ha u naxariistee, Ibrahim my friend was an ardent follower of Saudi Arabia league and a long time fan of Al-Itixaad and Al-Riyaadh. When the Confed cup was hosted in Saudi Arabia (I think it was 2003?), Brazil was facing hosts Saudi Arabia, and in the pre-match majlis analysis, he was adamant NAWAF Al-TUMIYAT will mesmerize the Brazil defence.

The match ended 3-0. No disrespect to Nawaf who was a wonderful and skilled player and also Asian footballer of the year, but he got that accolade against a lesser adversaries than the likes of Brazil. The similarity of your analysis with the late Ibrahim's is striking.

All of the Ivorians in the French League may not perform to that level if they move to Spain, England, Germany or Italy. Skill and promise is not also equal to actual stardom. Haruna Dindane was my favourite striker some years back and I still believe he has more technic and artistry than Drogba.

But we will have to see the Ivorians in Angola first. I have this feeling they will be a disappointment.

A&T nothing personal Adeer as the brothers above, Bob & FUfu as well as North have highlghted your blind man crush on the Samba lads aside there is nothing new old boy even old blind grannies support Brazil you are not unique.

The main issue here is simple Spain is a new power much like France of the late 1990s. England has a genius for a coach and the Africans are bringing real armour to the games. The old order has better be ready.

Like Bob stated who is a better striker than David Villa today, or will Drogba care for lazy Brazilian defending when he goes up againt the best every day?

N.O.R.F   

A&T,

Brazil are not as strong as they were when they won it or came close. The squads of 82, 94, 98 and 2002 would walk over the current squad.

Ivory Coast will show them just what African football is all about. The Africans tend to beat South Americans as the Americanos are not used to skill, speed and strength all at the same time. The Europeans cope better against the Africans.

Anyway, there is still 6 months to go!

Abtigiis   

The last line about what Drogba will do or will not, we will have to wait. For we may have different expectations of that game.

But as to the assertion about new power and what not, Spain is playing like brazil of 1982 and people like teams who play with art. But even you, will admit excet their game against NZ, they were not that good in the Confed cup. They didn't face tough teams in the qualification matches too. So, just because they won the last European Cup doesn't mean they are new power!

You are also making as if Spain's nice play is something of a recent discovery. They were always good team and skillful team from the days of Buttageano. I actually will rate the Spanish team of 2002 (which was robbed of victory by referee) as better than the current one. They were very, very good side.

Spain were even dubbed "Champions of Friendlies" because of the way they play against big teams in such situations. They were always tipped to do well in the past as well. The only thing that changed this time is that because they won Euro cup, they may have turned that corner of under-achivers. I am not yet convinced.

Just as it is not a manifestation of football acumen that one supports brazil, it is also not an indication of one's expertise in this field to chant after the hype of the media whenever a team performs better in a given situation.

Spain is not a new discovery and power. Spain is spain, or rather to use the irresistible pun, Spain is PAIN. The US beat them fair and square and the South Africans made them look ordinary in the Confed cup.

Edit:-

The squad of 1994 was devoid of skill but were good workaholics. I don't know why you think they were great. The 2002 won the cup only because other sides were unusually weak and some good teams got kicked about at the first round: France, Argentina. You remember the luck Brazil had with England??

The 1998 team was better but lost to a better France side.

Sometimes, I don't get what is your parameter of judging which team was great.

On Africans having an edge over South Americans, May I hear auntie Ruqiya just fell into coma if this isn't the first time I hear it????????? No african team ever beat Brazil. Cameroun beat Argentina once, but not because they outplayed them in 1990. And colombia as well the same year. We know what was going on in that match! Whoelse beat Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay in the World cup from Africa?????? War dee let us not just write our feelings.

In fact, African teams had a better success record against Europeans: with Morocco beating scotland 3-0, Algeria beating Germany, Cameroun beating Romania, Ghana beating Italy, Czech etc.

^Somewhere up there in South Africa, there must be an intensive course in the history of the World Cup and Football in general, I don't believe that all this knowledge displayed here by A&T has been accumulated in Hararghe as a teenage boy or indeed somewhere else in the old Ethiopia.

Abtigiis   

Duke,

If Capello is saying the following about Brazil, why do you think your analysis is better.

Easy for England? Not if we've got to beat Brazil to win the World Cup, says Fabio Capello

By Rob Draper, Mail on Sunday Chief Football Writer Last updated at 12:26 AM on 06th December 2009

Fabio Capello declined to be drawn on the merits of the Brazil team in the immediate aftermath of Friday night's extravagant World Cup draw in Cape Town and with good reason.

Not only does the Italian want to focus his English players on the task in hand for next summer's World Cup finals in South Africa, namely games against the United States, Algeria and Slovenia, he will not wish to elevate this Brazil team, which comprehensively outplayed England's reserves three weeks ago, into an insurmountable hurdle when they could feasibly be World Cup semi-final opponents.

In all likelihood, even with a fair wind, that is where England's World Cup would end, despite the ludicrous scenario of bookmakers installing them as second favourites behind Spain in the aftermath of the draw, presumably in response to obtuse patriotic punters.

Were England to fail at the semi-final stage, and they would need an equal measure of skill and fortune to progress even that far, they would fall short of Capello's own test for an acceptable World Cup.

'To play the final,' said Capello recently, when asked what would constitute a successful tournament in his eyes.

But that would seem an unlikely scenario with Brazil in the way. It might not be an impossible job but even by Capello's own analysis, the team with Kaka and Robinho is some way ahead of England.

'I think Brazil are the strongest team in the world right now,' said Capello after England's 1-0 friendly defeat in Qatar.

'They are very good technically, they are fast, but also really, really strong physically. Every time in every tackle they are one on one, it's not easy to match them.'

And it is not just a Brazil team, under coach Dunga, that grafts physicality and defensive strength on to their technique, which England might fear in South Africa.

Capello well knows that other severe tests lie ahead when England do qualify from Group C, as they surely will.

For in the immediate euphoria of being drawn in a relatively easy group, it seemed to be overlooked that England could be heading for defeat in the second round or their traditional quarterfinal exit.

It is not a rash assumption to place England at the top of their qualifying group, despite the undoubted organisational abilities of the United States, the flair of Algeria and durability of Slovenia.

Nevertheless, it is the second round that presents the first true test of Capello's management skills since taking the job two years ago.

There they will face opponents from one of the proverbial groups of death.

England will play the second place team from Group D, a pool which contains Michael Ballack's Germany, Tim Cahill's Australia, Nemanja Vidic's Serbia and Michael Essien's Ghana, four well-matched teams pitched into combat with all finishing positions possible.

Germany are not even guaranteed to qualify, let alone finish top.'We could be out in the first round,' was how top-selling German newspaper Bild Zeitung greeted the draw.

It certainly means there is a distinct possibility of England landing a last-16 clash against their old foe and World Cup Nemesis from 1970 and 1990.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1233548/Easy-England-Not-weve-got-beat-Brazil- win-World-Cup-says-Fabio-Capello.html#ixzz0ZAxlW0GK

Fiqikhair,

Bob and few young boys who are exactly where I was 15 years ago when I would be endlessly talking about how Rashidi Daoudi od Morocco would directly score from the corner kick (he did in domestic games by the way) mock me these days. How times have changed!

All of the guys, except Sonogo, Bob is so much trumpeting about in the Ivory Coast squad were there at a more younger age with the side, but none could help their team lift the African cup let alone do well in the World Cup. They failed in Egypt, they failed in Ghana, they failed in Germany.

I am not entertained by Brazil at all these days and in fact was wondering why I support them at all, but the shift in thinking brought about by Dunga is having great results. It is no more the case that Brazil will intimidate other teams because they are Brazil, and the gap between teams on technic, speed, mentality and strategy is so narrow this days that Brazil could face serious problems if they play against Iraq.

Dunga emphasises keeping the ball (away from the oppossition)- and that means doing nothing with it for a long time, exploiting the chances that come your way instead of mindlessly attacking as if you are Arsenal, robust defence, and team play than individual artistry. It is exactly teams who play this way that were the nightmare for Brazil before: italy, Argentina etc (although not in the World cup). But Argentina and Uruguay used to beat Brazil many times in their continental tournaments.

Now, experts say, to beat Brazil teams need to mark their passing before it starts from their own goal area. And I have noticed if you put pressure on Brazil before the Central midfieler distributes the ball diagonally to Maicon or the other side, Brazil gets disillusioned. But it takes teams to be very confident and risk-takers to do so, and not many do so. Except France, who shut out brazil whenever they met. I am not sure if France will manage to do so, because the type of game they used from Brazil is different than the current side plays.

Brazil of today is a combination of the grit of Germany, the tactical sagacity of Italy, and the skill of Brazil.