Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

How a Muslim Billionaire Thrives in Hindu India!

Som@li   

HC-GK645_Premji_20070910193515.jpg

Mr. Premji Has Wealth

And Clout as Wipro Chief;

The Imam Disapproves

By YAROSLAV TROFIMOV

September 11, 2007; Page A1

BANGALORE, India -- The world's richest Muslim entrepreneur defies conventional wisdom about Islamic tycoons: He doesn't hail from the Persian Gulf, he didn't make his money in petroleum, and he definitely doesn't wear his faith on his sleeve.

A native of Mumbai, Azim Premji has tapped India's abundant engineering talent to transform a family vegetable-oil firm, Wipro Ltd., into a technology and outsourcing giant. By serving Western manufacturers, airlines and utilities, the company has brought Mr. Premji a fortune of some $17 billion -- believed to be greater than that of any other Muslim outside of Persian Gulf royalty.

More..............

Such success, Mr. Premji says in an interview, shows that globalization -- a force Islamist activists decry as Western neocolonialism -- is turning into "two-way traffic" that can bring tangible benefits to developing countries

I dont like him already. I havent read entire commentary but i do have a feeling he is on a diatribe about secularism,globalization and running away from his faith. Oh well,is he helping the people? I bet not!

Aahhhh. Decided to read the entire piece & unsuprisingly a Mr Khan shares my sentiments.

Yet, to many in India's Muslim community, Mr. Premji's enormous wealth, far from being inspiring, shows that success comes at a price the truly faithful cannot accept. They resent that Mr. Premji plays down his religious roots and declines to embrace Muslim causes -- in a nation where people are pegged by their religion and where Hindus freely flaunt theirs. "If you are a Muslim and want to be rich in India, you have to show you are very secular," says Zafarul Islam Khan, secretary-general of the All-India Muslim Majlis e Mushawarat, an umbrella group