Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

The Iron Man ends Agassis 26 match streak

Safin overcomes Agassi

_39796773_safin203.jpg

Russia's Marat Safin reached the Australian Open final with a dramatic victory over defending champion Andre Agassi.

The Russian showed great skill and athleticism to win 7-6 7-6 5-7 1-6 6-3.

Agassi, who is unbeaten in Melbourne since 1999, had points to win the first two sets but fell short in the tie-break both times.

But he claimed the next two sets before Safin broke in the fourth game of the decider and clung on for victory.

"I don't have the words to describe what I 'm feeling right now," said Safin.

"It was a great experience for me, to come back in the fifth set.

"I think I played one of my best matches in my whole life, probably.

"You have to play really great against Andre to beat him. I just couldn't feel any better."

Safin reached the Australian Open final in 2002 but was beaten by Sweden's Thomas Johansson.

"Two years ago, I had problems with myself. I couldn't play my best tennis. I was too nervous, too much under pressure.

"That's why I couldn't pull my best weapons in that final. But coming right now, I'm full of confidence and it's a completely different story."

Marat played at an incredibly high level

Andre Agassi

Safin's win ended Agassi's amazing 26-match unbeaten run in Melbourne.

The American has won the last three Australian Opens he has competed in, missing out only in 2002 while recuperating from wrist surgery.

"Marat played at an incredibly high level," Agassi admitted.

"I forced him to play at that level the whole time. Sometimes you just need a little luck at the right time. I had chances that went away."

The Russian will now face the winner of the second semi-final, between Juan Carlos Ferrero and Roger Federer.

Safin played only 13 tournaments last season because of a wrist injury and saw his ranking drop below 50 for the first time since 1997.

A classic in the making, dont miss out sports fans

-------------------------------------------------------------

Federer races past Ferrero

Maybe I have a poker face, but I get really nervous

Roger Federer

Gamewatch: As it happened

Roger Federer booked his place in the final of the Australian Open with a flawless three-set victory over Juan Carlos Ferrero.

The comfortable 6-4 6-1 6-4 victory also saw the Swiss player take over the world number one spot from American Andy Roddick.

The Wimbledon champion never looked back after seizing his first break in the 10th game of the opening set.

He will now take on Russian Marat Safin in Sunday's final in Melbourne.

"I love it," said Federer, after climbing to the top of the rankings for the first time in his career.

_39801737_federer_bodyap.jpg

"I missed it in Montreal against Roddick and to take it this time, well I was really nervous.

"Now I'm looking forward to playing Safin. He is one of my favourites to play against, not just because of our results, but he is a great guy.

"I am confident. Have you ever seen a number one in the world who is not that confident?"

Federer certainly stamped his authority on his semi-final encounter with Ferrero, who was the most consistent Grand Slam player of last year after reaching two finals.

I started to feel the pain in my legs - it was a disaster

Juan Carlos Ferrero

But the way the match opened up in Melbourne the crowd could have been forgiven for thinking they were in for another five-set battle.

_39801673_ferrero_203x152gi.jpg

The Spanish third seed carved out four break points in the seventh game with his powerful forehands, forcing Federer to dig deep to save the game.

Ferrero's own resilience on his service game came to an abrupt end in the 10th game.

A combination of ruthless strokeplay by Federer and unforced errors by Ferrero handed the Swiss the break and the first set 6-4.

From there the match was effectively over as a contest as the Wimbledon champion raced to a 3-0 lead in the second set.

Federer easily broke Ferrero again to wrap up the second set, leaving the Spaniard floundering with his pinpoint forehands and determination to chase down every ball.

Ferrero, who seemed to be struggling with a groin injury, tried to change the rhythm of the match by coming forward to the net.

But the French Open champion could find no answer to Federer's passing shots and lashing volleys and the Swiss secured the crucial break in the seventh game.

Federer wrapped up the match when Ferrero hit his return long and the new world number one now goes in search of a second Grand Slam crown to add to his Wimbledon title.