Suldaanka

The culmination of Burao Conference 1991, Go'aankii 18ka May

Oodweyne   

Suldaanka,

Man, what historical day it was. I was there (right there in the crowd), I was attached to late Prof. Ibrahim Meygaag Samatar (AUN), as his note-taker in the meetings. There were endless political meetings of the SNM's high command (by Mr. Tuur, the Chairman, and the rest of the central committee). Particularly as to what to do in the light of what took place in the country and the total destruction that we had in our hand at the time.

I was a graduate student in London (UCL), who as soon as I heard the country was liberated, I legged-off from London, took a flight to Djibouti, and I was in the ground in Hargeisa by mid-April. The country was like a horror-scene straight out from Hiroshima kind of destruction. But by the grace of God, it was in our SNM's hand and it was free, at last.

What a historical day it was, indeed.  

• Thanks 2

LOOL

I was in Addis Abeba at the time. That was when the regime change taking place and TPLF tanks rolled into the city.

Within weeks we were listening to the first May 18 songs... 

ma waqooyi baa saaka loo wanqalay,

ma walaaci baa laga raystay oo

wado xaqa la maray.

Ma Wiilasheenii ba, noo talinaayo

Waynaada la yidhi

Wehel toosanaan

Waa mahad alee

Warka maanta yimid

Wax ku ool ahaa...

• Thanks 1

Oodweyne   

^^^^

Yep, that was the moment the "political mistake" of 1960 was corrected. And it was a beautiful day. I remember it very well, I was asked by Prof Meygaag and Chairman Tuur, along with Meygaag's cousin from the US, whose name was Saciid Meygaag, who was a friend of mine, to write (in English) the first public relation pronouncement from the SNM in terms of why we went for independence.

Mr. Silanyo, and other big-wigs, like Tuur and like Meygaag, were telling us as "note-takers" (i.e., Me and Saciid) in verbatim and in the stream of consciousness sort of talk, what their thought was, and our job was to turn it into a polished version of their cumulative political thought.

We went at it all night (from 18th till 19th) polishing, re-polishing it, till the leadership was satisfied with our textual handiworks. And then, it was sent by 21st from Hargeisa to various media outlets around the world and to some important countries in the international community (IC), as well as to international organizations from the then SNM's office in Djibouti.

It was the moment our destiny was in our hands, for better or for worse. And we, of course, from now on, shall not blame anyone else, whatever fist of it we shall make with that destiny. And up to now, despite our lack of recognition, I wouldn't really change that history by even one tiny bit. 

• Thanks 1

Oodweyne   

I also forget to add that the "political fate" of those we parted company back in 1991 is as wretched as anything can be. Given that we can all clearly see in here in today such reality whereby they are in effect an "Africans Bantu's colonized State", with a fictitious government that can't control the streets of its capital. Even if they are currently endowed with UN's legal legitimacy of alleged State's sovereignty.

Hence, all things considered, I would rather be this precise Somaliland of the present day - with warts and all - than to be living under some sort of "African's colonized entity" as the case is in today's Somalia. 

• Thanks 1

Somaliland's first President Abdirahman Ahmed Ali (Tuur) speech to the Conference, 18th of May 1991.

EYPdf0RXYCwuIyg?format=jpg&name=small

Welcoming Garaad Cabdiqani Garaad Cali to Burco, circa May 1991..

EYPdgUSX0AAhp_j?format=jpg&name=900x900

Today marks 29th anniversary of the reclamation of sovereignty of the Republic of Somaliland. 

It is certainly a muted one this 18th of May, all the celebrations and gatherings will not take place. But the spirit of the day will live on, inside your homes and your private properties, you can keep it on and celebrate with your loved ones.

Happy 18th of May.

EX-VprYXgAAojyu?format=jpg&name=900x900

Munaasabadda 18ka May oo maanta barxadda madaxtooyadda lagu qabtay. 

Siday u dhacday halkan ka daawo.

• Like 1