MoheyedinIssa

Mystery Illness Kills Ethiopian Nomads

Mystery Illness Kills Ethiopian Nomads 

By VOA News

March 17, 2020 09:17 PM

Ogaden region of Ethiopia

More than 2,000 nomads in Ethiopia’s Somali region have died since 2014 after falling ill from a mysterious disease that caused bleeding from their mouths and noses.

Other reported symptoms include swollen limbs and green or yellow eyes.

The affected people roam with their cattle around the Ogaden Basin region, which is being explored by companies looking for oil and natural gas.   

Reports of the mysterious illness and deaths have drawn Western reporters and researchers from rights groups to investigate. 

Residents of Calub, Ethiopia, have accused a Chinese project that includes construction of a pipeline from Ogaden to Djibouti of destroying the environment where their animals are grazing.  

Chinese firm Poly-GCL has been prospecting for natural oil and gas in Ogaden since 2014. It is expected to start commercial gas production soon. The Ethiopian government has signed a deal with the Chinese company that gives it 50% of any income from oil or gas exploration.  

The pipeline will enable Ethiopia to export natural gas. 

Local residents say they have not been consulted. 

The government in Addis Ababa has denied allegations that the project is causing a  health and environmental crisis in the region.  

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has promoted oil and gas industry as essential for Ethiopia’s economic growth. 

I see this thread being opened for 3rd or 4th time.

I do not think its because nobody cares, but something is seriously wrong in generating such news.

1. Every one in Kililka knows who generated this from the naming itself

2. No mention even of a single media or agency let alone a link, while in the post the whole world seems interested

3. The best interest for the Somali people is to negotiate from a position of strength for the share in the oil and also development benefits that come around this oil and gas.

The other option of preventing this oil from extraction is now dead. Oil was found in this area long before Saudi Arabia. Yet the Saudis have used it and are about to make it useless. Oil in lets say Ethiopia and Somalia is still in the ground after 100 years and still fighting over it.

I consider myself well informed of happenstances in Kililka and this has not come up from friends or other news.

That road is not worth traveling anymore. Efforts should be put to strengthen the autonomy and bring a decent benefit to the Somalis (all) in Ethiopia. Negotiate from strength since the Abiy regime is very weak.

2 hours ago, Old_Observer said:

I see this thread being opened for 3rd or 4th time.

I do not think its because nobody cares, but something is seriously wrong in generating such news.

1. Every one in Kililka knows who generated this from the naming itself

2. No mention even of a single media or agency let alone a link, while in the post the whole world seems interested

3. The best interest for the Somali people is to negotiate from a position of strength for the share in the oil and also development benefits that come around this oil and gas.

The other option of preventing this oil from extraction is now dead. Oil was found in this area long before Saudi Arabia. Yet the Saudis have used it and are about to make it useless. Oil in lets say Ethiopia and Somalia is still in the ground after 100 years and still fighting over it.

I consider myself well informed of happenstances in Kililka and this has not come up from friends or other news.

That road is not worth traveling anymore. Efforts should be put to strengthen the autonomy and bring a decent benefit to the Somalis (all) in Ethiopia. Negotiate from strength since the Abiy regime is very weak.

Ok Comical Ali whatever floats your boat.