Sign in to follow this  
LayZie G.

I Married a 'Muslim' Extremist: A Love affair with Militant Mullah

Her name was Abigail(short for Anisa AbtiDoon) and she was 26 years of age, full of life and laughter. On April 26, 2007, her life was turned upside down when she found out that the man who swore to love, honour and cherish her for the rest of her living life was in fact a 'Muslim' extremist who sent her to martyrdom, announced Abigail.

Before her marriage to her heartthrob husband, later came to be known as "Militant Mullah", Abigail had a promising career at a publishing housing firm, she was promoted to be a Junior editor to recruit young talents in the community. In a word, she had eye for talent and the senior editor, who was Abigail's mentor for close to two years knew Abigail was not like the others, she was made from a special cloth

Abigail lived a charming life. The third daughter of Sadiq and Axado Abtidoon, her parents were proud of young Abigail, especially with her recent promotion, they believed that one day soon, their daughter will find her soulmate, her Mr. Right and have a family of her own. Already, her two older sisters were married with children, happy and content.

As a young teenager, Abigail dated here and there but nothing came of it in terms of producing a lasting relationship. Her last boyfriend, a young Somali, Engineer Student wanted to test out the water for other fishes in the sea (so to speak) because he felt that his girlfriend was a brute when it came to holding out on him, recalls Abigail.(holding out sex, as Abigail was a proud virgin, who was not embarrassed to share it with anyone who asked her)

Abigail had a zest for life. The Abigail I interviewed was not weak, she was in control, she even confided in me when she said; It is important to be assertive, at work and at home.

But dont let her strong sense of self fool you, she despised liars.

For 'Militant Mullah", he was anything but when Abigail first laid eyes on him on the preceding days, months. He was considerate, says Abigail. Quickly, Abigail takes a step back and pushes the chair to stand up, only to come back to the chair, she put her hand on the table that we were sitting as we sipped tea while she poured her heart out and said, " you know, he was unusually charming".

I asked Abigail, unusual in what way?

Abigail slowly exhaled before she started to speak again.

For now, let me quickly point out to you why the man that haunts Abigail is called "Militant Mullah" instead of being called his real name. Her husband, yes, she is still married to him, is sitting in jail, waiting for trial to defend himself against various charges, for one, act to commit terrorism, attempted murder and a whole load of other charges. His case is pending trial and for this reason, we have to keep his identity anonymous, for one, to protect the victim(Abigail), and the other reason is not aid the defensive attorneys to hinder the trial proceedings with this expose.

Turning back to the Kitchen, where Abigail finally gets the courage to speak about the unspeakable, her beloved husband, she finally breaths slowly to say something. The man who courted her, showered her with love and attention was not the same man who returned from the Dominican with a different attitude.

Promised to love and protect her, he quickly changed his demeanor. The man who Abigail never thought had militant tendencies and was not religious or so he said to her, Militant Mullah, the would be husband, the devil in disguise was as normal as the average joe or so he appeared. He held a steady job at the local garage as a part-time mechanic. He was not ambitious but he had a drive to succeed in the little he knew. He started working for the local garage as an apprentice and finally landed a part-time position as a mechanic, fixing cars, changing oil etc.

He was content and that was one of his supposed 'good qualities, says Abigail. From the first sight, he lived for her, did everything possible to cater to her needs.

One day she told him, "babe, you are not like the other guys, you want nothing from me but at the same time, you want everything for me." His reply was simple, "Abigail, when I look at you, I see a beautiful, intelligent woman in front of me, the mother of my future children, my bestfriend, without you, I don't know what I will do." Abigail sobbed and sobbed with these words, she later recalled and she couldnt imagine being with any other man.

He did not pressure her, he did not make sexual advances in the first few weeks of their courtship, contact was minimal.(usual hugs,holding hand in public) Abigail said, "he followed my lead." Later, when they had their first kiss, the moment was right, says Abigail. It was four months into their relationship, hundreds of phone calls, few dozen outings and they still could not get enough of each other and one night, after he brought her home, she leaned over and he took it from there and fireworks erupted.

She remembers their first discussion about s.e.x, they had an open and honest relationship, nothing was off limits, especially when it came to down to discussing past sexual partners. She was honest and open about her abstinence from sex until she was married and it was a promise she would keep.

Growing up, Abigail was like any other teenager, she was social, had many girlfriends, boys in her school and her neighbourhood wanted her when they weren't making advances or pretending to want to be friends with her so they can show off to her boys, etc.

She admits, "my friends experimented with sex, we discussed it and after all the girls have done it, I was the only one in the click who did not, they were disappointed", she adds, "they would tease me constantly", until after Militant Mullah proposed.

She said they discussed a wide range of topics, family, commitment, marriage, role of wife and husband, politics and even shared their each other's favourite things, books, places to go for honeymoon. She was quite surprised that Militant Mullah was an avid reader, he read biographies, said Abigail. I was quite fascinated with his list of readings, I guess I prematurely judged him, with his profession and all, admits Abigail.

Two months before their wedding day, Abigail introduced him to her family, her sisters and young brother, Dayax.

Abigail confided in her parents, she was very close to both her dad and mom.

She recalls the time they discussed his family and there was not much he said, except that his dad was dead and his mom was married to another man and they were living in Ethiopia with her husband. He was an only child, his father was his role model, says Abigail. He spoke a great deal about his father. She distinctly remembers the time Militant Mullah told her about how his father read to him at an early age, quoting speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King and discussing Mahatma Gandhi and how he should always use peaceful means to solve problems. The principle of non-violence was instilled in him at an early age and he was so proud, he read part of King's speech to her without even looking up a book or at a computer screen, Abigail later recalled, I just couldn't believe that this man, the man who quoted King's speech would later turn out to be someone else.

The wedding day was finally here, the married to be coupled agreed to live in the same apartment that Abigail was renting in the city, about 150km away from the quite and at times isolated Suburbs where she grew up and where her family still lived.

After the wedding, the couple went to Honeymoon in the Dominican republic, all expense paid trip, as a wedding gift from Abigail's family. She later admitted to me that Militant Mullah was financially strained and he did not contribute much, which was one of the reasons they couldn't afford a house and opted to stay in her apartment after the honeymoon.

The apartment was on the top floor, away from noise in a high riser. After they returned from the Dominican Republic, recalls Abigail, Militant Mullah quickly changed and soon, the horrors of the coming days will follow.

Few days after the honeymoon, while Militant Mullah was out running errands, Abigail got a knock, a tall, Voluptuous middle aged woman stood with an ugly grin, says Abigail.

Without so much as exchanging pleasantries, the lady walked in, asking for Militant Mullah and when Abigail politely answered back and informed her that her husband wasn't around, the lady got nasty and instead of taking a leave, made herself comfortable in Abigail's leather sofa.

Abigail did not know what to make of the older lady, except to sit next to her to politely ask who she was and what she was doing in her home, asking for her husband.

Just as she was getting the courage to talk to this angrily looking woman, she heard the sound of keys and the unlocking the lock, she got up and hurriedly met his husband in the door to open so she can warn him about the visiter.

Abigail saw the look of her husband as he entered and gave a quick glance to the sofa area and he instantly knew who awaited him.

In a moment, Abigail announced the lady but went on to say that she did not know the woman's name and instead asked him who she was.

The lady heard and murmured something in Arabic, which Abigail could not make out and turned to Abigail to say, "didn't anyone teach you not to ask questions, especially when your husband hasn't taken his shoes off" and then turned to him and and told him , "boy, you forgot to tame your wife, dont say I didn't warn you now".

All this time Abigail remained silent, unable to make anything of what was happening in her own living room. Shocked and unable to move, she asked her husband to go with her in the bedroom, as the apartment was small, only a one bedroom apartment, a living room, kitchen, bathroom and 2 closets.

She later recalls that everything was going in slow motions but as the couple retreated to their bedroom, Militant Mullah was quick to point out that the older lady was in fact their guess and she would be staying with her for few weeks until things settle.

Settle?, repeated Abigail. What are you settling? Who is this woman in my home? She can not be your mother because she looks like a foreigner and not a SOmali, so who is she? What is she to you and why is she in my home?

He said, enough, I dont want to say more, just so you know, she is staying with us and you must not ask me anymore questions, all will be explained later. Later? Why later, why not now? Why are you acting this way? Why are you shouting at me angrily? What has gotten into to you, babe?

She got no answers, just silent treatment as he left the room immediately.

Next, she finds out that her telephone jacks were ripped, her laptop taken from her and new locks put in by her husband within the hour.

Soon, she attempts to leave and the older lady stands between her and the door, unable to move her away because of the weight so she can go outside and clear her head so she can make sense of it all.

Abigail's world turns upside down, confused, she sat in her sofa, wondering what to do, how to talk to her husband and most of all, find out who this woman is to him?

Minutes turn to hours, hours turn to days, and finally, her husband comes into her room and says to her, you are free to go outside to get fresh air but you must remember not to talk to anyone, not even your family, not one phone call and proceeds to take the battery off her cellphone, takes her purse and instead gives her a new one with some of her content inside.

She asked him, why are you giving me this purse and his response was simple, "I bought you this purse last week as a wedding present as he walks away", according to affidavit taken from Abigail after she escaped from the tall woman.

Both women went out, Abigail's keys were taken from her by her husband and given to the older lady to drive her to the grocery store to stock up on food. Before they departed, the lady turns to Abigail and opens her bag to reveal a small pistol and says to Abigail to not make any moves while they are in public or she will shoot her in the back, while Militant Mullah will pay a visit to Abigail's family and kill them, one by one.

Abigail, terrified of what she was hearing nodded in agreement and put her seat-belt on.

When they arrived at the big grocery centre, Militant Mullah was distracted by a shopper who asked her question and just as quickly, not sure how Abigail knew whispered to the grocery bagger who was washing the vegetables in the corner to call the police and to approach the older lady quietly as she has a gun and she told him she was being held against her will. Abigail, curious about her bag and looking for a piece of paper to write on noticed an unusual weight and wondered what it was, little did she know that as she opened, explosives with a timer were inside, ticking and recalls quickly closing the back. She was sent for martyrdom, her husband put explosives on her back to kill her and the hundred of grocery shopper. Within minutes, police surrounded the building, slowly entered and approached the older lady, asked her to hand her handbag slowly and to put her hands up in the air.

The older lady did as told and soon she was being taken on the side for questioning and the officer approached Abigail as the grocery bagger pointed her out and she was whisked to safety.

...to be continued

Part Two: The trial and details of the target

Filed by: LayZieG