Sign in to follow this  
lambda

Stem cells and regenerative Medicine

lambda   

Suddenly, stem cells are everywhere.

Scientist believe stemcells from human embryos could hold the key to treatments and cure for diseases.

What is a Stem Cell?

Stem cells are unspecialized cells that can renew themselves indefinetely and develop into more mature,specialized cells.

They are found in embryos during early stages of development,in fetal tissue and more rarely in some adult organs.

Scientist hope that by growing stem cells in laboratories they can generate specific tissues,such as heart,lung or kidney tissue,wich could help repair damaged and diseased organs or provide alternatives to organ transplants.

What can stem cells do for us?

Transplanted embryonic stem cells from mice have restored some insulin regulation ability in mice with diabetes,relieved symptoms of parkinson´ disease in rodents and partially restored neural function in animals with spinal cord injuries.

Where are scientist getting this cells?

Untill very recently the vast majority of stem cells used in research came from discarded embryos stored at in-vitro fertilization clinics.

Scientist can also pull stem cells from aborted fetuses first asking the patient who independently dicided to terminate her pregnancy.

Is there another way?

Adullt stem cells taken from the blood or organs of healthy adults have recently demonstrated an enexpected adaptability in lab experiments.

But these cells are marginally helpfull to scientist,and do not show the same promise,as those taken from embryos

What´s next?

Scientist have found that mouse embryonic stem cells can develop into oocytes.

If embryonic cells could be a source of human oocytes, scientist might be able to use them for experiments rather than using eggs from human donors,wich are in short supply and if this cells can be fertilized and develop normally then it will increase the concern of the opponents to embryonic stem cell research.

hey lambda thanx a lot for giving us this information. I find it quiet interesting. I was watching couple of months ago this american show called "law and order" and it was dealing with this issue. If i remember correctly, this guy who had parkinson's disease was having certain women with brain damage to be impregenated and then they would abort the child and use those stem cells.

I had a question though, does the fetus one receives stem cells from should have the same DNA as the person getting the stem cells or they don't have to have any relationship to each others? and what are the chances of matches for cells like those between relatives?

Thanx again for posting this topic...We as a young generation must keep with all these scientific advancement. U know what's sad, that a lot of african diseases are so easily curable in western and european countries but they are life threatening in africa :(:(:(:(

lambda   

Hi sis, in the future scientists maybe able to modify human stem cells lines in the laboratory

by using gene therapy or other techniques to overcome the immun rejection.

Scientists might also be able to replace damaged genes or add new genes to stem cells in order to give the characteristics that can ultimately treat diseases.

Its important that the DNA wich encodes for the MHC komplex on the cellsurface is identical with the one from the Patient otherwise it will not be recognized from the immune system and will be rejected.

The other thing is that every organ is different some can be easily transferred others not thats why in some cases it´s very important to have a donor from your own familly.

Oocyte   

Well informative post, Thank you.

Scorpion sista,

Its true what you said about Africa. Plus there is also a whole lot of AIDS as well.

Thanx lambda that's quiet interesting, but at the same time scary...I mean can you imagine the links some people might go to, if they had the money, to cure their illness and what not...In USA, there is a big controversy about stem cell research, because some poeple, dislike the fact that they use aborted fetus and at times make a baby in test tubes and then kill them off if their genetic make-up didn't match the reciepient...Anyways, keep informing us about these scientific developments, i am sure i would have more questions, and u will see me back again.

Libin, first of all like your name, my cousin has this name too...I also wanted to mention that in european and america people with AIDS are living longer because of the medicine avaliable here that is not in africa...Also africa themselves made this problem worse, by tabooing sex educations and talks, and also creating this sense of alienation for people with diseases that at times they didn't tell their partners about having AIDS.

bee bye

lambda   

salaama calaykum to all of you this could be normally a new topic but let me share with u something about aids.

I had an AIDS seminar two years ago and there was this article about african woman in Gabon and other west african countries who are resistent against AIDS becouse of a gene mutation wich changes the structure of some important HIV receptors .

let me find that article and explain the details...

Hey lambda i thought blacks or africans didn't have a resistant to HIV virus...As a matter fact, i thought it was only the european descendent, who had people exposed to the black death, had developed a resistant to AIDS...To say that there is an african person also is quiet interesting...See if you can find her brackground information with the article...This is exciting news for me...bee bye.

Oocyte   

Scorpion_Sista,

Thank you. so do I. About AIDS, treatment is the big factor. Current management do not completely treat the virus but It suppresses the viral load which further delays/slows its damage to Immune system, thus prolongs life.

In africa, its sad! As the saying goes; "prevention is the best treatment" -thats what people need to do and prevention comes from awareness! Our own people believe AIDS is for the Gaalo only!

Lambda,

That sure will be interesting. Please do post it (if you want as a separate topic). As Scorp said most of the resistance to HIV were found in caucasians- its about 1% in the population who has been exposed to the virus but didnot contract-They were found to have mutations of certain receptors on Immune cells (where the virus usually binds). It was more pronounced those who were homozygous (Herited 2 copies of the gene mutations) than heterozygous.

Changed   

libin...i either watched or read the infomation u gave us on stem cells. am not so sure if the united states GOV went along with new experiment on kids embryos ..the church thinks it morally wrong to use it, they just think embryos should be burried, i think it was being used to as a threatment to disease like alzheimers or something ........

thanks for sharing the info sis ;)