Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Minutemen VS Al-jazeera

Jabhad   

Minutemen Turn Down Al-Jazeera Interview Request

Barbara Ferguson, Arab News

WASHINGTON, 2 May 2006 — The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, an anti-illegal immigration organization that patrols the border in Arizona, has refused another interview request by Al-Jazeera TV, calling it a “terrorist TV station.â€

The Minutemen volunteers, many of them Vietnam, Korean and World War II veterans, said they would leave camp if the Arab news organization, which some described as “anti-American,†was given access to the site.

Al-Jazeera has attracted millions of viewers throughout the Arab world with its coverage of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and its airing of tapes of Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

But Al-Jazeera’s growing popularity also brought it greater scrutiny. US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld accused the Qatar-based network of encouraging militants by airing hostage executions. And Fox News Channel’s Bill O’Reilly branded it a “propaganda network...bent on encouraging violence and sympathetic to terrorists.â€

The controversy between the Minutemen and Al-Jazeera started a year ago, when Nasreddine Hssaini, a Washington, D.C.-based Al-Jazeera reporter, said he wanted to interview leaders of the Minutemen and others in Arizona.

Hssaini said he was interested in covering the increase in apprehensions of illegal aliens known as OTMs — “Other Than Mexicans.†Reportedly, these foreigners increasingly include Arabs, Muslims and others from the Middle East.

At the time, the founder and president of MCDC, Chris Simcox, refused Al-Jazeera request to interview and film the Minuteman patrols on the border.

“I’ll have no part in aiding and abetting the enemy, and will continue to work to protect our country from terrorists who are clearly looking at our unsecured borders as the pathway to destroy America,†he said in a June 2005 interview.

“Would we allow Japanese or German television to film the unsecured border during World War II?†Minuteman spokeswoman Connie Hair added. “These people broadcast to the enemies of America. It’s not a news story, it’s recon.â€

But Al-Jazeera did not abandon the project, and finally negotiated an agreement with Simcox.

Now, according to Connie Foust, a MCDC sector head, when the news organization announced it had the “OK†from Simcox and wanted to interview and show the volunteers — may of whom are armed at their border observation posts — the volunteers said they would refuse to stay in camp if Al-Jazeera showed up.

But local journalism professors defended Al-Jazeera.

“With constant news that Middle Easterners may try to slip through Mexico, it’s no wonder that an Arab news channel would also be interested,†said Alan Weisman, a University of Arizona journalism professor.

“Al-Jazeera is a legitimate news organization. If we have the right to go into Middle Eastern countries to cover issues, why on earth shouldn’t we allow them to come here, particularly since we allege that Middle Easterners might try to cross the border? That’s a story of great journalistic interest,†Weisman told reporters.

ElPunto   

LOL - it's interesting how this 'illegal alien' thing has exploded in the past 3 or 4 years. In 2000, when they were roughly as many 'illegal aliens' as now - nobody was saying anything. It portends a sign of some decline in the US.

Kashafa   

^^ It's all politics, good neighbor from the north. The illegal aliens wash their cars, clean their houses, and pick their cotton. In return, they get paid dirt wages, no health insurance, no retirement, no workman compensation. A capitalist's dream, in short. These 'aliens' are as American as a Negro in 1865.

The Republicans have a mid-term election and 2008 coming up. With Iraq in shambles, Katrina horribly mismanaged, and gas prices headed towards 4 bucks, they think that immigration reform and "Kick the Foreigners Out" will save them. There's also the small matter that's terrifying the hell out of White America: Hispanics are making too much babies, too fast.

Jamilah   

Originally posted by AbuJamal:

But Al-Jazeera’s growing popularity also brought it greater scrutiny. US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld accused the Qatar-based network of encouraging militants by airing hostage executions. And Fox News Channel’s Bill O’Reilly branded it a “propaganda network...bent on encouraging violence and sympathetic to terrorists.â€

Fox News passing judgement on another news organisation, how ironic. Anybody who has ever bothered to watch that rubbish would not just how laughable that comment is coming from fox news, talk about hypocrisy

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Kashafa:

^^ It's all politics, good neighbor from the north. The illegal aliens wash their cars, clean their houses, and pick their cotton. In return, they get paid dirt wages, no health insurance, no retirement, no workman compensation. A capitalist's dream, in short. These 'aliens' are as American as a Negro in 1865.

The Republicans have a mid-term election and 2008 coming up. With Iraq in shambles, Katrina horribly mismanaged, and gas prices headed towards 4 bucks, they think that immigration reform and "Kick the Foreigners Out" will save them. There's also the small matter that's terrifying the hell out of White America: Hispanics are making too much babies, too fast.

True brother. But have you ever watched Lou Dobbs? He's unbelievable. I think there is a more visceral public reaction against the Mexicans illegals and other foreigners(as per the whole Dubai ports debacle). Back in the 90s heyday - Americans didn't give a damn. So what has changed in the intervening period? Cause playing politics has been fashionable for a long time.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Jamilah:

quote:Originally posted by AbuJamal:

Fox News passing judgement on another news organisation,
how ironic. Anybody who has ever bothered to watch that rubbish would not just how laughable that comment is coming from fox news, talk about hypocrisy
Irony is standard fare for these right-wing bstards. But seriously, you get Fox News in Austrailia?

Jamilah   

^^Yeah, but thats if you have pay TV. I think a visit to Australia will eradicate your perception of the country as a technologically deprived backward nation. I recall I once gave you an invitation to come to which you responded:

Originally posted by ThePoint:

quote:Originally posted by Jamilah:

Don’t envy me just move to Australia there is plenty of room
:D

I would but I am afraid that I will be attacked by racist hooligans on the beach - I'd rather remain in cold but safe Canada!