Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

A trip down the Eighteenth Hole

STOIC   

From the outside, the golf course looked like a rolled prairie. The green mimics my heightening perceptions of what paradise looked like in my own imagination. I remember peering through the golf courses from outside and seeing it as a world beyond my status. But Yesterday I woke up in the morning; stick my head out of the blanket ready to experience the first ever golf game I ever played apart from driving ranges. My boss , at the expense of the company, decided to take us for a game of a golf. The whole office was to meet at the golf course at 10:00 am in the morning. Good deal I thought, you are being paid while you are playing golf? I have never played golf in my life nor do I own a golf clubs. When I received the email, I cornered a good friend of mine and poured my innocence of the golf game. He promised to bring an extra golf clubs with him. I immediately thanked him and asked him who was making up the teams. He directed me to the organizer. It is to them that I explained how out of touch I am with the game. They promised to team me up with one of the best golfer named Steve.

There were total of sixteen players divided into four groups. Each team member has a chance to play while you still pick the best shots out of the four trials. When we arrived at the tee the first group hit the ball with a finesse to keep the ball straight. They all hit the ball with an intention of not hitting the bunker on the filed.Each one of their ball hit straight close to the trap. It seemed easy to see them swing like that easily. This must be a piece of cake, I thought. When our turn came each one of my team mates were all so straight off the tee except me. I wondered if my ball even left the tee. They all offered me encouraging words about how they all started just like me. Steve, the best golfer, tried to show me Key swing tips. He advised me to keep my weight centered and my lower body stable. I wondered how their bodies perfectly balanced when they swing the club. Steve showed me how to chip the ball with my weight on the front foot and my hands way ahead of the ball.He adviced me to use my body to keep the club shaft moving.

By the time we reached the 18th hole I have lost count how many times I have missed to hit the ball of the tee.Steve made all the shorts we used.He was so fine that I admired how all his shots had a maximum club face loft impact. Still though there was a hope for an amateur like me. I was good at the putting. I made two putting that saved the team. My putting grips were much better than my driving skills. I never froze in front of the ball just like Tiger does when the ball is close to the hole. I watched the first few putting my teammates made. I made sure that my grip pointed at my stomach and I hit the ball slowly making sure that ball rolls without any bumps.

The game of golf is much harder than it seemed in ABC sports. This is a fun game that requires a calculated chipping. An exciting game made me enjoy it until the eighteenth hole. I did not make significant contribution to the team, but I must say that now I know why the rich folks enjoy the game so much. As for me now I will continue to practice my driving range until I get my two feet above poverty. I will buy clubs when I got some extra cash.

PS Any golfers in SOL?

golfic7.jpg