Sign in to follow this  
HanadYare26

Who are you: Somali or Ina Hebel?

Who Are You: A Somali or Ina Hebel?

The question about Identity is as old as the universe. Throughout history, communities, nations, and regions, alike, have identified themselves according to language, religion, culture, or territory, and our group and the other group were defined accordingly. For example, when you are minority in White society, you identify your self with Blacks. When you are minority in religious group, you identify yourself with Muslims. When you are a minority in other nationalities, you identify with Somalis. While the first two remain rigid, the identification with Somalis does not.

When you live abroad, all you need to know is that the person is Somali, and you are as happy as you found your mother. However, you feel uneasy and have natural distrust for all Somalis except those in your inner circle (your tribe or clan). Do not be surprised! “I can not date you because you are not from our tribe, and my family told me if I date boys from other tribes, it will be disrespect to our people,” can you believe those where the words of 19 years old Somali girl. Indeed, it is unfortunate to create hate in innocent hearts, so it can be an infectious disease that spreads from one generation to the next.

Despite the fact, Somali people share common religion, language (different dialect), culture, and territory, we lost our identity and nationalism. We put tribalism before patriotism, and we deny ourselves the right to be proud of who we are. Many of us living outside the country, feel that we cannot share our culture with our school mates.

In the eyes of the world, Somalia is identified with malnutrition, starvation, dangerous among many others. In the movie, Final Destination Two, the girl tells her dad: “We are not going to Somalia....” She was just pointing out how unsafe Somalia is. An Egyptian actor was once sued by Somali people after he said, “Somalis are majaaca (hungry people).” The actor, however, said he did not meant to disrespect, but to bring world attention to Somalis. These are not only examples if you search around, you will find even worse. Unfortunately, no one is even concerned about lost and disrespected identity. I have no plan to redeem our Identity or to bring our pride back, but do you have a plan? Is it a problem? Do you really care? Who are you? Are you Somali first, or ina hebel?

LuCkY   

WeLcome to SOL Hanadyare26-hope you enjoy your stay here.

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY HANADYARE26:

When you live abroad, all you need to know is that the person is Somali, and you are as happy as you found your mother. However, you feel uneasy and have natural distrust for all Somalis except those in your inner circle (your tribe or clan). Do not be surprised! “I can not date you because you are not from our tribe, and my family told me if I date boys from other tribes, it will be disrespect to our people,” can you believe those where the words of 19 years old Somali girl. Indeed, it is unfortunate to create hate in innocent hearts, so it can be an infectious disease that spreads from one generation to the next.

This is so true i hear it aLL the time. I asked someone who once said something aLong those Lines why do you need to create hatered among our own peopLe, this is how they repLied:"We dont hate them...yes they are SomaLi but we just dont mingLe with them. I wouLd never aLLow a daugther of mine to marry into that group, its shamefuL and disgracefuL to the majority of SomaLi peopLe".

I couLd not beLieve my ears. :eek: How can some say that we are MusLims, we dont judge peopLe and hate our own kind...its un-IsLamic and continue with such acts.? :confused:

I beLieve no matter how educated we(somaLi) become we are going to be carrying that *bad* tradition with us for a Long Long time. :(

Changed   

Who are you? Are you Somali first, or ina hebel?

Hanad wlc to SOL first sxb...........NOW this is my two cents .......

Naming a tribe is also another form of identification, ex: i could be a doctor , a lawyer , or the daughter of mr cali(cali is a randon name i used so no offence to anyone)the billionare and so on that is a way to identify me .and it said our religion permits to use tribes to recognise eachother.

using it to mock a person, to kill and to destory a country is another issue ...and that is impermisable ..

..So if u ask me who i am ....ama say Mizz-unique a somali and if asked what tribe i am then am gona answer the tribe.......i think we are all somalis first then our tribes ......I hate naming tribes though cant we just stick to hi am blah blah blah and just say okay nice to meet u blah blah ....instead Senior citizens say ooh blah blah from that and that ..... :eek:

when u said ina hebel did u mean our fathers or tribes........? :confused:

if it was father am ina hebel first cuz i came from my dad if u know what am talking about :rolleyes:

Thank you both for your comments. Thanks again for the warm wlc. Mizz it is great that you ask for clarification about Ina Hebel. I mean Tribal sense not fatherhood. We all by our fathers than Somalis. But we all by our nations before our tribe. True, Allah said, "Yaa ayhuhanaasu inaa khlaqnaakum min dakaran wa unthaa Wajacalnaakum Shucuuban Waqabaa ilan litacaarafuu..." suurat xujaraat. Therefore, it is not wrong to identify with who you are, but it is wrong to believe you are better than someone because of your tribe. the second half of Ayah say, "Ina akramakum cinda lahi atqaakum ina laha caliimun khabiir." To believe tribe x is better than tribe Y, will be to contrary to Aayah.

Raxmah   

Asalamu alaikum

Hanad Wlc to SOL--hopefully ur stay will be good one inshallah.

First I really dont give a bull about tribalism. After all our country is being destroyed becuase of tribalism and still here we are and still saying my tribe is better than yours. Walah it angers me, when ppl go above and beyond to degrade someone bc they are not the same tribe. Most ppl know just by looking at me who i'm, and when they talk to me they have to say something about it--my tribe. It really doesn't bother me, cause I know am somali and a muslim. I'm sure just being somali you will be able to identify who i'm, and tribalism exists so we know where we came from, but for somalis its a source for creating hatred among each other and that is extremely sad.

some people need to try and study their lineage through their mothers instead of the fathers last name, just so you can see that the very tribes that you hate and despise are yr accual blood.

A7LA-SHU   

well i would say im somalian. but i don't mind when some aedo calls me ina hebel like my dad's name or my grandpa's name..

lucky girl friend let me just say somalis are one funny ppl u wouldn't wanna clon :D lol..

Zakariye   

s/alaykum

hanad waa su'aal fiican, laakin hadii aan kaaga jawaabo, i am "both" somali and Ina hebel, marka walaal waxii ka badan intaas hadda adigu uun bay kuugu xirantahey hadii aad rabtid in aad qofka aad ogaatey la socotid ama la cuntid, ama macasalaameyso. Good luck

c/slaam