Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

Somali street art

AYOUB   

Somali street art

Contemporary Somali art is best viewed during a little stroll through town. All over the place are colorful displays of food and services. Quite often, these displays are not only demonstrating the creativity of Somali artist, but also their incredible ability to copy well known global brands (and notes...) and transform them yet into a unique piece of art. Somali street art is accessible to everybody, diverse, entertaining, you name it. Unfortunately, it is also an expression for the high illiteracy rates which are still prevailing and affecting over 75% of the adults in Somaliland. Although the disappearance of these original displays would definitely be a loss for Hargeisa, I still wish that one day, they will not be there as a symbol for illiteracy, but -if at all- simply as an expression of art ...

street+art.jpg

somali+street+art+3.jpg

street+art+2.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

web page

Paragon   

Lol Ayuub. Walaahi I should've taken photographs of some arts I have seen in Eastleigh. It was amazing and I always smiled with I saw the drawing on some restaurants - they show goats being slaughtered and fresh meat being cooked. It really makes you wanna eat hilib. And I eat hilib with every meal so I say the arts were comically attractive... smile.gif

Very interesting collections...

AYOUB   

^^ Great opportunity missed! :D

I think the "street art" shows what the "movers n shakers" back home are up to. Whoever said we lack tourist attractions. smile.gif The only person who took full advantage of this form of artistry was the late Gen. Barre. Some of the Kacaan posters commissioned by the former regime was as good as anything Tate has to offer.

looool@ayoub ,,, you shouldn't refer to websites to display those street arts in Hargeisa ,,, u better ask me to take some live photos ,,,, :D

yeah ,, i still have some funny pics i took in Burco, some in hargeisa and ,,,, yeah u name it.

Anyhow ,, i liked those arts you posted ....