Sign in to follow this  
Adna

Busted After $1.5 M Fraud!!!!

Adna   

Salaam I jsut wanted to share this with you guy's. And i just wonder what CABDIRASHIID ALI SHARMAARKE HAD TO DO WITH HER CASE.. ICAN ONLY THINK SHE BROUGHT SHAME TO THE CROUD...LET'S SEE WHAT U GUY'S THINK. I'M SURE SOME OF YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY BUT LET'S DISSCUSS AND BE SOPHISTICATED PEOPLE THAT CAN DISSCUSS ISUUES. THANKS.

p.S THE LINK WOULDN'T WORK FORME SO I HAD TO COPY AND PASTE...

convicted in HMO billing scam

(Minneapolis, December 15, 2007 Ceegaag Online)

Jurors found that Omar, 44, of Eden Prairie, participated in a scheme that bilked more than $1.5 million in medical assistance payments between 2001 and 2004, ostensibly for interpreting services that were never provided.

Indadeeq Omar, the niece of a former Somali president and a prominent member of the Twin Cities Somali community, was convicted Thursday of a wide-ranging health care fraud and money laundering conspiracy after a six-day federal court trial in Minneapolis.

Jurors found that Omar, 44, of Eden Prairie, participated in a scheme that bilked more than $1.5 million in medical assistance payments between 2001 and 2004, ostensibly for interpreting services that were never provided. The indictment says that Omar, her husband, Mohamed Essa, and a former Medica employee named Tou Chaiker Vang conspired to submit phony bills for the services.

Vang, 39, of Maplewood, pleaded guilty in the case and testified against Omar. Essa, 51, has fled and remains a fugitive. That left just Omar to stand trial.

With her three young daughters looking on, Omar testified Tuesday that she knew nothing about the alleged crimes and merely did what her late brother, Ahmed Omar, had told her to do when she submitted claims for the phantom interpreting services.

But assistant U.S. attorneys John Marti and William Otteson put on overwhelming evidence demonstrating that she was president and secretary of Global Interpreters Services Inc., and had overseen the filing of "tens of thousands" of bogus claims to Medica, which processed the Medicaid payments for the government.

Marti told jurors in his closing arguments that Omar and her husband had spent the money they got from the scheme lavishly. They spent $18,000 to whiten Omar's teeth. They paid $205,985 in cash for a down-payment on their $600,000 house. They paid $43,000 for a custom Chrysler 300 C sedan. And they paid about $45,000 a year in tuition for their three daughters, ages 9, 15 and 17, to attend the International School, he said.

Omar, who in 2002 received an award for her work with Somali refugees, now faces decades in prison.

"These guilty verdicts today send a message about the seriousness of this type of financial fraud," the IRS said in a statement after the verdict. "Health Care Fraud is an emphasis area for our agency and our role in multi-agency task force investigations includes documenting the flow of the money to show how the perpetrators of these schemes financially benefit from their fraudulent activities."

Omar is from a prominent family in Somalia. She testified that her father had been the nation's education minister, and her uncle, Ali Scermarke Abdirascid, served as prime minister of Somalia when it gained its independence in 1960. Her maternal uncle was elected to parliament in 1964 and became president in 1967 but was assassinated just over two years later.

Source: Star Tribune

webmaster@ceegaag.com

Coloow   

A sad story. She is a fraudster and should pay for the crime. I hate to say somalis think they are smart enough not to be caught. Somalis are becoming common scenes in criminal trials.

But I can't see the connection with the late Abdirashid Ali Sharmake.

Every criminal has a relative.

In that case Adam and Eve are also guilty by association.

War qoftaan maa faraha laga qaado. Tuug la qabtay talo maleh aala dhihi jiree. Bas hee, she drunk caanihii, now waa inay tirtirtaa wixii ka daaday, which would take some decades to clean it up. Poor lady, should have known what was coming.

A sad story. She is a fraudster and should pay for the crime. I hate to say somalis think they are smart enough not to be caught. Somalis are becoming common scenes in criminal trials.

Duqa, one way or another, people abuse the system. Some worse, from Enron to Worldcom to Tyco to Halliburton to Conrad Black and Eebbe knows how many hundreds of thousands are defrauded each day by corporations and others. They, the politicians, created the system, whom were funded by the corrupt corporations and elected by the unsuspecting electorate. Their corruption is a bit too advanced. But masuqmaasuqnimo is masuqmaasuqnimo.

I don't blame per se what she did -- I blame her id.iocy of not thinking being caught soon, considering how extragavant, excessive and in-your-face of her uber lifestyle was. She also probably thought she was smarter than the system, oo hunguri weynaan iyo iimaankii ka tagay.

Ciyaalkeeda lee Eebba meel ha ugu sahlo.

Coloow   

Eebowgeey,

Waa runtaa laakin Lane iyo Enron, Worldcom iyo kuwa kale sidaasi iima xanuunsiyaan. There are not our flesh and blood.

If a system cannot be used (abused) it is not a system.

Why don't you blame her for what she did? She is guilty of a crime (a heinous one) because she thought she will get a free lunch. This kind of behaviour is why our people are not achieving any progress. In her case, she has shamed us (she claimed to be related to the great Abdirashid Ali sharmarke- whose name she has tarnished). THAT ALONE SHOULD HAVE discouraged her.

People should earn their money instead of fraud. I hope she gets life in prisonment for bringing the name of sharmarke into a mess; and for setting a bad example to somalis.