Sign in to follow this  
Allamagan

Muslim woman police refused to shake hands with the Met Police Chief

^^Agreed!

Perhaps the title of the thread is deceptively misleading? I mean she didn’t refuse to shake hands,she requested not to shake hands with a male counterpart.

The Muslims themselves are becoming Islamicphobic.

I don't really see the fuss is all about. As long as her actions doesn't negate her duties to the public, then she should be fine.

The ironic thing here if this woman was to shed our Muslim identity, the Western media and "moderate" Muslims in SOL would be celebrating her courage. I thought courage meant standing up for what you believe.

So what if she doesn't want to shake his hand? The police force should be prepared to meet the needs of its diverse and varied work force especially when it has to do with personal beliefs. Every career is suitable.

The police force should be prepared to meet the needs of its diverse and varied work force especially when it has to do with personal beliefs.

Yes, they are obliged to. But do you not think she should think about the situations she will be exposed to before taking up the post.

There is a serious point here of where obligation ends and hindrance begins. If she chooses (with all power to her) such strict interpretation, then how suitable is she to be a police woman outside of the muslim community.. Since she is obliged to serve all members of society equally.

... or are we just dealing with the Met. commisioners hand (which i would also be hesistant to)

One thing occured to me...What did she do during the training specially the wrestling and the Judo...hmmm! ;) shomeshing doesn't quite gel here. coul it be she didn't shake his hand because she can't stand him.

Cheers

There is no reason why she should be exposed to situations beyond her job requirements. And for the police force to not give someone a differential treatment that doesn't cause any hindrance in carrying out their job duties is discriminatory.

N.O.R.F   

She did nothing wrong in my book. Maybe she could have worn gloves as CG stated but then she would have got it (bad press) for not removing it to shake the hand of the commissioner! A no win situation.

She did what she thought (note - what 'she' thought) was right by informing her emploers before hand. What we all think doesnt really matter.

But it does raise the issue of compromise in the work place. How many of us compromise in order not to offend or not to look out of place? Or are we all as steadfast as we try to portray?

Give the sister a break, at least she is trying!