Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

What does it mean to be a man?

Safferz   

underdog;951361 wrote:
However, am I wrong to say I prefer the scenario where a man goes out and provides for his family while his wife stays home and takes care of the home front? is this insulting to women?

That's for you and your wife to decide. But my point is that there's nothing particularly natural about that arrangement, these gender roles are cultural/societal not biological.

underdog   

Safferz;951418 wrote:
That's for you and your wife to decide. But my point is that there's nothing particularly natural about that arrangement, these gender roles are cultural/societal not biological.

Lets start by identifying the roles. then we can move on to proof of cultural and societal influences.

Which roles are "traditionally" male? and which are female?

What other (for lack of a more suitable word) "things" other than society and culture would define gender roles? Scientific, maybe? geographic?

Let's find some words to fill in these blanks:

According to __________, as a Man you can't/shouldn't __________________, however it is your duty to ____________

According to __________, as a Woman you can't/shouldn't __________________, however it is your duty to ____________

Are there consequences to not adhering to the status quo? Does a status quo still exist?

let's define the acceptable base facts before we move into opinion and speculation.