Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy

All about WordPress

"WordPress is a blog publishing application and content management system. It was first released in May 2003 by its co-founders Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little as the successor to b2/cafelog. It is powered by PHP and a SQL data backend. As of September 2009, Wordpress is used by 62.8 million websites in the US and 202 million websites worldwide.

The latest release, 2.8.4, appeared in August 2009.

In 2007 WordPress won a Packt Open Source CMS Award."

Wikipedia..

you'd say Blogging is so 2006 but wordpress is more then just a blogging platform you could use it to be your portfolio site, run a small company or even for people that interested in photography or fashion could use word press even start your own magazine.

Like all opensource projects the community is too big and generous its shows when you see 6,865 PLUGINS, 54,526,788 DOWNLOADS, AND COUNTING last time I've checked you could go take a look here.

So let me drop some links and remember you could just download it on your local machine and learn everything about it just download a server and you are set sir, by time you get to know everything about it you'll be more then comfortable installing on your machine.

1. Famous 5 Minute Install .

2. Starting with the basics.

3. Customize the looks.

4. Get new theme!.

And have a look at this if you ever get stuck .

Will post some more advanced features in the next post.

Well, let me say i a wordpress user but not familiar with all its functions. I just use the sites/blogs that are wordpress based.

Now if i want to start my own magazine ,, how would i go with it ?? ,, where should i start from and what am i supposed to do ??

@peasant, It all depends on what you need it for but I would steer away from Drupal if I was you, its templating system is horrible.

@JB, Start with the steps get the basic its only needs one weekend to do all it and then start assessing what will you need for your magazine and research how to accomplish it here is few links to help you out.

Magazine Themes