Sign in to follow this  
Somali_Friend

PM Meles Zenawi gives interview

I will try to post here what I was able to jot down:

q. How is the operations going so far

PMMZ: We are pleased

q. How is the population in south somalia reacting to ethiopian forces:

PMMZ: As a rule ethiopian forces do not enter towns or cities. Only TFG does. Ethiopian forces bypass towns or cities. On occassions commanders may go with their TFG counterparts to see the condition of the people and their reaction for themselves, but its to be avoided. Thats the method the TFG handles everything with the public.

The TFG was prepared with police officers, public administration officials so there is no issue on that regard.

From what I heard the people are enthusiastic to see their government officials and knowing that the war will be over in their area at the very least.

q. How was the operations

PMMZ: The main starting point was that the ICU forces mostly foreigners including from countries not yet mentioned, that had sarounded the TFG had to be removed and that has been done.

We have information even the wounded ones that have made it to Mugadishu about the foreigners.

ICU is gathering around Jowhar.

q. Some organizations are questioning ethiopia's involvement

PMMZ:

We are not involved in the Government affairs of Somalia. Most of fighting was on purpose pushed away from populated areas, where it cannot be avoided the TFG took care of it.

The people of somalia can see and know that its their local sons that are doing the fighting for TFG and this was important.

We have the right to defend ourselves. The UN recognizes, but doesn't give freedom to any country or people. We defend ourselves. Any country in the UN have not shown any disagreement on this except Eritrea and few others which we know who they are and why.

q. Don't you think terrorism will be more in somalia

PMMZ: This is a dumb understanding. Terrorists don't become terrorists when you attack them. You attack them because they are terrorists.

The killings in Kismayo are best example of the fallacity. I don't understand why some people think that terrorism will come as a result of attack on terrorists.

q. where are most of terrorists from

PMMZ:

Eritrea and middle eastern countries are of course known sources, but from what we have seen so far, i think most countries are represented.

q. do you think ICU will have guerrila war

PMMZ:

first of all if they do, it will not be with us, but each other

secondly the radical ones do not have the situation conducive to this kind of war

Yahadig.

90% of what?

you guys lost 2 special forces battalions in Idale and the 3 last night before.

The withdrawal.

Had we had the weapons of the ICU?

you guys would celebrate the chrismas in Makelle bunkers.