Sign in to follow this  
Sherban Shabeel

There is a way forward

I was a big believer in the new government, because I thought it could bring everyone to the table no exception. Now after the Seagate affair with Kenya and mortars flying in Muqdisho again, I'm not so sure anymore. I have also read posts complaining about the state of Somaliland, about the state of Puntland, about the state of all Somali people living in what used to be one Somalia.

I think there is one way to a better future that I still believe in.

It's a strangely simple solution and I wonder why it hasn't been given a shot.

The solution is to stop assuming things and to organize ONE BIG POLL.

An objective third party should send out teams of people that will reach EVERY SINGLE SOMALI and ask him or her what he or she wants.

Then compile all the answers and analyze them and find a way to satisfy the significant majority.

How hard can it be? You only need to reach 9-10 million people.

There's too many militias in Somalia, too many weapons, lots of talking and little listening.

Question every single member of every militia, of every group, every man, woman and child over the age of ten in every village and every city. Every herder in every pasture. And find out what they want.

Then give them what they want. And maybe then we can have peace.

somalia needs law and order first. A state of normalcy. It needs a strong central government which can govern. It needs a military to keep the peace and navy to stop pirates and illegal fishing/toxic dumping from foreign entities.

It needs the rule of law.

Once that is achieved, then the country can organise elections and democracy can flourish with a capitalist system