Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Interesting Debate

Should traditional rulers be in government?

Should tradtional Somali Elders continue to be prefered Leaders of somali communities, or have Warlords fast becoming our new "Tradtional" leaders?

I know we have anarcy in south somalia so the debate is not directly comparable, were in the North or somaliland, and the east region or puntland we have some semblences of tradtional governmental structures the debate on BBC can be applied abit closure to what exists and functions in these regions.

I just wanna learn how these traditional leaders influence those in power, and what your views are on the influence they hold, and whether it would be best replaced by (give your exmaples)given our bleake poltical status

Somalia's "peace process" in final round

The upcoming Somali government will in any case face large pockets of warlord-held territories within Somalia.
The fragile alliance of clan leaders and other armed groups now united in the Somali parliament further has no guarantee of sticking together for a long time.
It is not probable that warlords will let government take military control over their areas

Curly   

So when you refer to traditional leaders I’m assuming you mean elder tribal leaders.

I think they have long since been out dated and forgotten about much less heavily involved in politics. Warlords seem to have been the trend since the late 80’s and continue to do so.

I think whole tribes do influence the politics because constantly it’s evident that a whole tribe seems to ban together on certain issues and even totally agree with one another to disagree with another tribe.

However I don’t think we have actual elder tribal leaders who speak on our behalf as to what a whole tribe wants, since Somaliland is trying to rid this image that tribes and politics are interlinked. But sadly this still reminds a major issue within Somali politics.

The other link on peace process doesn’t seem to be working, but from what I gather and what I’ve heard, this was a group ministered by Asha Ahmed and other ministers. Has hopes to bring together all the clan leaders and warlords to have them represented in the new Somali parliament, in the hope of bringing about peace.

Well don’t know much about the politics in the south Somalia but I think from what I’ve read they seem to still have traditional clan leaders and warlords’ together working in conjunction with one another.

But the new parliament would mean that the warlords would still be struggling for power while the clan leaders would merely acting as what we would call MPs or governors who would try to represent their people and try to look our for the best interest of their people. This system could work however corruption and hatred will always infect our people; it’s almost become genetic disease we