Sign in to follow this  
LadyMo

Integration or just plain copyin??

LadyMo   

Someone asked me whether or not I believed dat de somali culture was old fashioned?

I believe dat de Somali culture is old fashioned just like any other culture which havent been reviewed or has changed ova de course of 10years!

Okey then there are all de immigrants who hav migrated to de west in search of a better lfe or simply peace. I am speakin generally & dis does not include every1-myself for one coz I was neva born in Somalia and therefore didnt experience such a culture change.

Now dis is when culture comes into play. I strongly believe dat Somalis are de worst type of people when it comes to integration. Most Somalis who think they are 'ill-bax' are merely copyin de western people which aint integration but actin! To integrate u need to adjust urself to de new lifestyle in which u find urself and expand on it or improvise! U shud take wat u believe is good from de western society and mix it wiv ur cultural and religious beliefs.. to me dat true integration.

The Somali culture is not old-fashioned as such u just need to integrate into it and use wat u prefer and disregard wat is umimportant and dis varies from givin camels as mehr to female mutilation and from usin too much oil (subag) in food to believing women are baby machines.

Howeva dont forget de religion!

This shud come before anythin else which is why we now appreciate de fact dat women shud go to schools and learn things and that they shudnt b mutilated.

Tell me wat u think..?

Howeva dont forget de religion!

This shud come before anythin else

I couldnt agree with you more. Unfortunately most youths whether they be somali, pakistani bla bla bla confuss integration with assimilation, they arent to know. But where are our cultural leaders where are the inovators?

It goes without saying really ((from my own exprience)) that you must hold on fast to the rope of allah if you dont want to risk going astry and getting lost. And this means to fufill all the duties requested on you, which in most cases goes against trying to integrate into a society such as the one we are living in.