Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

2000-2009 most important decade of my life : Pics

Tunisia the Green

getAsset.aspx?ItemID=9522

The best trip I took in the decade was a two week relaxing holiday to the small North African nation of Tunisia. The Sahara Desert covers two thirds of the country while it has access to the cool Mediterranean seas. Two and a half hour flight from Gatwick and I was surprised to find a gem of country. The people were hospitable, calm and the country was secure and at peace, this might be the reason that millions of British, German and French tourists flock to its shores every year.

The food was nice; the hotels cheap yet of a higher standard to more developed nations I have visited. Tourism was their cash cow and these people knew how to milk it.

I was lucky to travel across the country, to Monastir [birth place of Habib Bourghiba first leader of Tunisia] , to Souse, Spahax and Tunis, third, second and largest cities of the nation respectively. Breathtaking was the word for this place, the history, as it was ruled by the Romans, Visigoths, Berbers, Arabs, Moors, Ottoman Turks, and finally the French. The country has an Amphitheater better preserved than the coliseum in Rome, Turkish baths and souks, to French garrisons.

Tunisia was much better than Dubai, in my opinion the climate, the history and the fact that the indigenous people ran their affairs in this state made it much more appealing.

I visited this country twice and both times I left wanting to come back again, reenergized and ready to go back to the hectic life back in London.

STP81967.JPG

Tunis has a nice nightlifep

2757384-Camel_trek_in_the_Sahara_near_Do

Beautifu Sahara