Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Dalmar iyo Deensade

Salaan...

There are some exceptional, very interesting sites out there. Occassionally, you stumble on some.

Below are such two sites.

What makes these sites further interesting is that the ideas behind them are instrinsically Soomaali way of life.

Let me stay for a day is but one.

The other, do me a little favour.

The reason I link these sites to innate Soomaali way of life is, the first site, as the site's name implies, a guy travels around the world by staying "strangers'" own homes he has met through his site for a single or two nights. They cook for him, take him to dinners, and show him around the city the day he is in that city. They also provide a little cash here and there. Then his next promised host takes over, doing the same thing again. He travelled more than a dozen countries using this very simple method.

This method, however, is nothing new to Soomaali traditional way of life. Nomadic people used to roam the countryside and at dusk, stayed the nearest aqal Soomaali community they could find. They were welcomed, provided shelter and feasted the best food the family could provide -- all this with no quesitons asked, but in the name of Islaan and Soomaalinimo. That travelling nomad repeated this until he reached his destination. This very altruistic way of life was highly valued back in the days. We still do.

The second site is all about giving others a favour, expecting no return in back. Just letting your neighbour --whom you may have not known-- borrow your ladder, bike, etc.

Th site reminded me at back home, where neighbours routinely used to borrow cusbo, birtaawo, dab, and all little things that made daily life go on.

So, will a nomad let another nomad stay for a day at his/her place, while that nomad will borrow another nomad's kubeerto and joodari? :D