Sign in to follow this  
FatB

muslim women not required to wear veils, Queen Rania of jorden

N.O.R.F   

"Islam neither requires one to be practising"

To me this means its OK not to be practicing (maybe she didnt mean this).

NG

As for the practising parts, I think (and I’m guessing here) it might have something to do with the differences between those scholars that regard someone that does not practise as an apostate and those scholars that regard them as, simply, lapsed Muslims (the Queen is probably stretching that last point to suit her own ends).

You may well be right their scouser (on good form for a Monday morning) but again i'm sure the scholars whos opinions she may be using do not think its OK not to be practicing.

NGONGE   

^^ Of course not. Doubt if any scholar would. Some might be easy-going and try to encourage one to practise by not shaking their fists at them and promising them damnation and hell fire. Others might be stricter. But none would be as indulgent as to say: you don't have to practise, son. Go and be happy, In nomeni patri et fili spiritu de punto :D

Taliban   

Originally posted by Haneefah:

However, what I don't quite understand is her urging of the so called 'moderates' to stand up. Against what? For whom?

Against Islamists. For the West.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Naden:

Her statements about religious practice and
wear
are valid. Hijab or niqab, a particular dress is not required but a manner of dress and, most importantly, behaviour admonished. Also, people can choose to believe or disbelieve in the entire message/faith so practice, which is secondary to belief, is optional as well.

Sounds like Protestant Christanity not Islam.

If "action" aka "to do" was Optional then there would be no need for Shariah or Quran or Nabi for that matter.

It would be akin to the new age Spiritualist movement of the Hollywood types that all claim to be 'Spiritual' bu not necessarily following a particular religion.