Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

Yvette's experience in the election

LANDER   

Jolly Women

mothernchild1.jpg

"I've never seen so many happy faces in one day!" one of the international observers quipped. It's true, people were just ecstatic to vote and yes they had the patience to qeue for 2-3 hours so they can cast their ballot.

Her name is Sarah, I met her at around 9:30am at Magax Mogue polling station waiting in one corner, I saw her again on our way back in the afternoon as we stopped for the second time. By then I had to ask if she had already voted, she nodded, curious as to why she's still in the area "I mobilized many women in my village I want to meet them here, they might need my help" she replied. Sarah was determined to wait until she sees the last woman in her village casts her vote. sarah2.jpg

Of Determination and Discipline

Some polling stations have no electricity, others simply don't have light bulbs. Nevertheless they went on, exhausted from a long day's work yet determined to start counting the ballots. There were at least 10 people in the room, 3 polling station staff, 6 party representatives and 1 domestic observer vigilantly engaged to see to it that the procedure takes place properly.

Not every polling booth have tables and chairs for polling staff, there are simply none available. They make do with what they have, in this case, a mat and the box of election materias are enough to get things going.

lock.jpg

This is the lock of Oktobar polling station in Erigavo, they opened a few minutes late because they couldn't find the key, by then there were already a long qeue of voters waiting to vote, with persistent chiding of voters they had to break it open.

Guns, knives and yes even canes are not allowed in the polling station. In a rural area like Hareed, the elders and nomads had to leave their "weapons" outside.

Somaliland Parliamentary Elections: International Election Observers -1

Let me apologize for my remiss in informing you about what transpired the past few weeks. It was those moments when I wished days were longer and had the energy to write down and reflect on the challenges we had to deal with. Let me walk you through some of the events that took place in the past days.

The International Cooperation for Development (ICD) was given the task by the National Electoral Commission (NEC) to invite, arrange and deploy international election observers during Somaliland’s parliamentary elections. An initial list of 20 who expressed interest to observe grew to 74 foreigners from more than 16 countries (UK, Finland, Canada, Italy, USA, Germany, Norway, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, South Africa, New Zealand, Kenya and Zimbabwe to name a few).

A total of 31 international election observers team were organized and dispersed to 13 areas, Borama and Baki (Awdal), Gabiley, Baligubadle, Salaxhaley and Hargeisa City (Galbeed), Berbera and Sheekh (Sahil) Burao and Odweyne (Togdheer) Aynabo (Sool), Garadag and Erigavo (Sanaag).

Briefings were held by both foreign and local experts on the Somaliland context, orientation on Somaliland’s Electoral laws and procedures were conducted, meetings with the NEC, political parties, elders and civil society groups were arranged to get a glimpse of the local scene. On top of this, logistical and security arrangements were organized.

It might be simple to most people in the outside world, but in a place where the security situation is fragile; where basic requirements such as communication and transportation are limited, where hospitals and medical care are almost close to none, ensuring the safety and access of 74 foreigners who were tasked to go to both rural and urban areas to observe the elections cannot in any way be classified as simple.

It was a gargantuan task we ever faced. In a country with almost nothing, we had to rely on maximizing what is present and making the most of what we have. Organizers and observers alike had to rely on one another to contribute knowledge and expertise to help organize the observation mission better; it took a lot of guts from everyone involved. Sometimes, when things get rough, we try to remember that we are here to witness this country’s huge stride towards democratization.

We are indebted to international organizations in Somaliland that shared their resources when we were faced with logistical nightmare. Kudos to individuals who tried their level best to contribute and make this international election observation happen, to the international election observers who despite the security risks and logistical limitations bravely confronted their task of witnessing and experiencing Somaliland as it put its foot forward in taking a historical leap. My personal thanks to friends who secretly expressed their solidarity in various forms even if it meant taking risks to give their share.

IEO-Peder1.jpg

for more go to Yvette's blog

http://insidesomaliland.blogtales.com/