Sign in to follow this  
Abdinuur

? FATHER'S DAY

Abdinuur   

Do ya'll celebrate father's day?

It aint really a holiday you know cuzz holidies are assoc. w/religion, but it's just a day where you show your love to your old Pop's.

So do ya'll do sumthin for your fathers' or father's father..lol. Gifts...etc you know. :rolleyes:

Reason why brought up the holiday concept is because most Somalis think it's just a 'thing' that 'gaalo-cadaan ay sabeeyaan'. But everyone does in some form, but not all of us give it a name like Aabo's Day or Hooyo's Day. U feel me?

bilan   

salaam

no i do not celebrate father's day, i give gifts to my father or mother whenever i'm able to do it. we should be giving gifts and everything to our parents 365 days, why do we have to limit ourselves only one day sure they deserve from us to remember them more than one day in a year. yes in my opinion its gaaloos thing.

Senora   

Well in our family we celebrate mother day, fathers day, birthdays, anniversary's, etc......i guess we've adapted to the american culture...but anyways, since my dad is the typical coach potatoe, we decided this year to get our dad a BRAND NEW recliner.....his old one is really starting to deteriorate :eek: .....LOL.....and make him his favorite meal.......BARBEQUE, lol.....yeah the old POPS deserves it :D

Abdinuur   

Bulo,

I definitely agree wit you. But since parents are important people in general...they ought to have their own day out of the busy year along wit giving them gifts all year-round and all the things they deserve and ought to have. smile.gif

Princess,

I'm sure he'll appriate that. Good luck. ;)

Abdinuur   

Og-girl,

Very funny! lol. Have you heard about Mother's Day? It's okay if you didnt cuzz they only celebrate these days in the United States where they acknowledge mothers and fathers and their hard work and kids buy gifts for their parents...etc.

Princess excuse my misspelling...lol I think they should have spelling check in this thing. :confused:

Fathers day...i wonder what somalis will celebrate next, christmas perhaps? guys need i remind you that we're qaxooti from a muslim country? whats all this talk about fathers day ? lets stick to our "somalinimo" okay ?

lool FATHER'S DAY!! DAMM WE SOMALIANS HAVE LOST IT, OF REAL WAT THE HELL IS UP WIT U ALL, FATHER'S DAY, MOTHERS'S DAY.. I LOVE MY MOM EVERY MUCH AND I GET HERE THINGS WHEN EVER I GET PAID IF I EVER GOT HER SOMETHING FOR MOTHER'S DAY SHE'LL BET ME FO REAL CAZ IT AINT IN OUR CULTER, AND THERE IS NO POINT TO IT.. SHOW UR MOM AND DAD THAT U LOVE THEM EVERYDAY NOT ONCES A YEAR. WE SOMALIANS HAVE TO STOP BEING SOMETHING WE'R NOT.. AND GET USE THE FACT THIS ISN'T OUT COUNTRY AND ONE DAY WE ALL WILL BE GOING BACK TO SOMALIA AND THAT DAY MAYBE SOONER THAN U ALL THINK.....AND THIS AMRICAN WAYS AINT GONNA HELP US AT ALL... SOO REMEMBER THAT U ARE SOMALIAN

1LVE

SOUL SISTA

2real   

True dat! THere will be no father's day for my father. They never celebrated my birthdays but they showed me luv all my life so,,,, amma do the same.....the somali way.

Gediid   

Kaafi the reason why they have this because they leave home at 18 never to return unless by appointment.Then when the old folks started turning old they drop them off in a nursing home and count the days before they die.Now tell me if thats your plans or if you feel thats how you wanna treat your folks.

HONEY-D   

Hey guys give the brotha a break. i bet if the topic was about g/friend b/friend you wouldnt hassitate to respond.

anywayz my papa isnt with us any more but i do send him a special gift ( i ask allah to forgive him and have mercy on his soil. I missed him so much i wish he was here to see how his lil gal turned up to be a fine lady i'm sure he would have being proud of me.

kaafi fathers day is celebrated all over the west not only the states.

RAXIIL----Amiin, Allah have mercy on your father, mine, and the other dead muslims.

as for the topic.....

He who imitates a certain gruop (tribe) of people, shall become one of them, and will be raised amongst that group on the day of judgement.,,,,,,,,,,,therefore, if u imitate the Rasuul of Allah (pbuh) u will be raised with him and u will enter paradise, and if u imitate to Kufaar, u will be raised amongst them and will enter hell! (i didnt have the hadith with me so i just paraphrased what i remembered, trust me it is a Sahiih hadith!)

celebrating fathers day, mother day, easter, christmas,,,,,ect , is Haraam! it is imitating the kufaar. these celebrations are not in our culture or religion!

Abdinuur   

Silent-Sista, point taken girl. And I'm aware of that too. No one is immitating here. Even in Islam, it's require for all of us to treat our parents with the utmost respect as well as being kind to them. Is that a bad thing now?

Mr. Gentleman and Lady...points taking and like I said...lol...I dont know...maybe ya'll need to be little open-minded for a chance. Look at things from different angle.

Gediid, I like your respond cuzz you brought a good important point. Now you tell me what's better in this busy world: leaving your old folks in a nursing home or in a health center where they receive 24/7 assistant wit anything they want or just letting them stay at your house when in actuality you're busy wit your own life and family and work? I'd choose the nursing home cuzz what happens if I am at work and they're ill (dying)..whose gonna help them? Whose gonna be there for them?

Anyways, Father's Day is ofcourse celebrated in the Western worlds but I think we all do in some form or way; we just dont have a name for it...but it just exist. I mean dont you buy gifts for your parents every once in a while and tell them how much you love them and appreciate their existence...it's the same thing man.

By the way...it aint a matter of arguing..Father's Day is coming up and I thought about how or if ya'll do any special thing for your Dads. Besides, my Pop's is back home chillin and I talk to him every once in a while on the phone. icon_razz.gif Havent seen him in decades... :(

Originally posted by Kaafi:

Mr. Gentleman and Lady...maybe ya'll need to be little open-minded for a chance. Look at things from different angle.

:(

oh, sure...and commit something thats xaraam? and then later on regret the consequenses?

nooooo thanx. :mad:

bilan   

salaam

guys it simply haraam. we have two eids, and Allah gave parents their rights before these gaalo invent their one day,and the prophet talked about parents rights they invented so that they can get away from their responsibilties, they leave their parents and never ask about them till that day and then they buy it a gift.parents love more their children to be around them than giving gifts, cause no matter how much you spend on precious gift, it will be useless unless you were kind and obedient to your parents all the time. if you want to know what the scholars say about it you can find it here http://63.175.194.25/topics/mother/mother_eng.shtml from www.islam-qa.com.