Sign in to follow this  
Miriam1

Canada Calls Snap Election

Kool_Kat   

I'm not voting this year, shiiiiiiiiiiiidh, seems like we're hitting the polls once every six months (well not really six months, but might as well be!!!!)...Yaa u shaqo la'...Seriously, Canada needs to set a certain length of time between elections!

Did someone mention Stéphane Dion? Half the time I don't understand what he's saying...Not sure who I'll be voting for this year, that is if I decide to vote that is...But those Conservatives are looking more and more appealing...

Som@li   

Something fishy, what is the percentage of people who go to the polls and vote in Canada? Somali miyayna weli ka gudbin xaraaradii codaynata, waxaan isla haa marka sharciga la qaado marku ugu horaysa baa kaar loo qabaa. :D

War waxba haisku wareerina, Your vote can Never make any difference.

Miriam1   

KoolKat and Cadaan, you folks are killing me.

Did you forget Mike Harris??

Dabshid. Elections matter here, especially for recent immigrants.

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

I'm not voting this year, shiiiiiiiiiiiidh,
seems
like we're hitting the polls once every six months (well not really six months, but might as well be!!!!)...Yaa u shaqo la'...Seriously, Canada needs to set a certain length of time between elections!

Did someone mention Stéphane Dion? Half the time I don't understand what he's saying...Not sure who I'll be voting for this year, that is if I decide to vote that is...But those Conservatives are looking more and more appealing...

Talyaaniga inaa degnaan lahayd fiicneyd; xagaas they don't cast ballots every six months as you wrote, but every few couple weeks, so it seems. Dowladaha Reer Galbeedka wax ka isqabqabsi badan ma jiro dowladda iyo mucaaradka markaas jiro ee Talyaaniga. Laba sano maba gaaraan xataa halkii urur qabsado awoodda dalkaas.

Maxaa kale tiri, Stephen Harper's party is 'more and more appealing.' Kuusha, ma riyooneysaana? Haddaa Mareykanka degnaan lahaydna Bush maa u codeyn lahaynda, too?

About Stéphane Dion, caawa ma aragtay the debates in French language? Ninba afkiisa ayuu ku fiicanyahay. Asaga iyo kan Bloc Québécois hoggaamiyo hilfahee u qaadeen Stephen Harper in Affaransiis.

Ar haye, Kuusha, walaxaa maqlee in birar boolal ah ilkihii kusoo xiratee xaaka jiro? :D Run miyaana? Hadda iyo bool isku dhuujisaa? Bisinkoo.

Hayam, have you been to Alcuruba? They have a big Conversative sign on their window. I didn't feel cool with that, but now they have other signs from other parties as well, though. I don't know how they did allow to have a Conservative sign, especially a big one. Perhaps they think Conservatives are good for businesses, since they have a little business joint.

peasant   

I will vote for the conservatives and reason being, is the fact that they will not stop the oil sand projects of alberta. The Librals have lost me this time and they ruined their chance when they proposed the carbon emission tax which does not make sense at all and is a gimmick to rob the major cooperations of this country. As for Mr. layton , I dont think that majority of Canadians are ready to vote for NDP yet, and practically a vote for NDP is a wasted vote, since they will never achieve even a second place. Personally my last couple of years in this country was great and dont mind checking the conservatives another four years to come.

Voting for a right-wing, xenophobic party [and some whose members hold an open anti-Islamic views] is a waste of vote from a qaxooti kooyto ah, Afrikaan, Muslim and immigrant -- as a Soomaali, you all are and represent what they don't really like.

If it wasn't for Liberals' policy of open multiculturalism and loosening the immigration rules, you wouldn't even have been here now. The Conversatives, especially the old Reform party members such as Stephen Harper, even if they allowed you in, xiro qaxooti ku geyn lahayeen until you have a full sharci as it is like in Australia.

And if it wasn't the NDP, you wouldn't even have had a free, universal healthcare, regardless how much you make, especially when you landed in, when you were in the neediest of time.

Miriam1   

Muuaah! Miskin commonsense is a treasure smile.gif

I didn't see the sign, haven't been there since mid Ramadan. I don't understand people who choose to vote for the conservatives now. Its mostly from being turned off from the liberal leader...there isn't an actual discussion of what the conservatives are proposing.

And your right, if we had a conservative government in the time of Tommy Douglas instead of the NDP federal government. There wouldn't have been free healthcare or the welfare system so many of us depended on, in the first few years of our residency.

Peasant. No vote is a wasted vote. The main objective now is not to allow the conservatives to achieve a majority, for the first time in a few years the NDP is gaining ground and hopefully together with the Liberals. We will have another minority government.

Miriam1   

I just wanted to add. Conservative governments are traditionally very dangerous towards immigrants. And yes, it doesn't matter if you have been here 2 yrs or 20 yrs.

Harper's government is uncommonly strong for a miniority. If we pay attention there are have been several scandals that hit his administration, the latest of which is the speech he stole from Austrialian PM in 2003, to falsely convince Canadians to go to Iraq.

This simple fact proves that he follows a certain neoconservative ideology, that has nothing to do with US!

peasant   

MMA. That is an old view which immigrants hold about the conservative party and there is no one in this country who dares to stop immigration because it is a vital for the economy. I think comparing Australian political parties to that of Canada is way over the top and australia is nation that is openly racist. One thing that i know is that you dont find in this country stadium full of a crowd chanting racial slurs at a rugby match or mob of a bigots chasing minorities at a beech. Also putting people in concentration camps, it isnt something new to canadians and we are way passed that era, the Japanese canadians were the last to experience that sort of a treatment.

Miriam1   

I swear that is hysterical. There is a massive difference between stopping immigration and breeding an anti-immigration sentiment in society. The United States is a prime example, they are more pro-immigration than Canada, but you can easily feel and see the "us and them" mentality that creeps in every political discussion.

Conservative governments court to a different club, that immigrants don't belong to.

peasant   

Hayam, true no vote is a wasted vote but if you are going to vote, at least you might as well vote for a party that will hold many seats and enough to able them to coax their agenda in the circle. In that sense the liberals are in better position than the NDP and they have most of their stuff in their portfolio.

If your are fond of the small parties, the marijuana party and the green party of canada too would want to have your vote as well. :D

http://www.marijuanaparty.ca/index.en.php3

Baluug   

^ :D I may have voted for them if this was 10 years ago....

As an Albertan, it would be foolish for me to vote anything other than Conservative, and not only due to the fact that yes, any vote other than Conservative in Alberta, is a wasted vote. The fact of the matter is that the oilpatch is a major factor in Canada's prosperity of late, and for Stephane Dion to scare off the corporations from the oilsands is, in my opinion, political suicide. If that happens, I think we may see our country slide downwards with our neighbours to the south. I'm sure we won't see any of our Somali brothers in places like Grande Prairie and Fort Macmurray vote Liberal, because they know their jobs possibly depend on a Conservative government.

The Liberal party says they will create "green" manufacturing jobs, but how many "non-green" manufacturing jobs will be gone as a result? And where will these "green" jobs go? Ontario and Quebec, like they always do. The prairie provinces never factor into the equation in a Liberal platform.

As for immigration, it's a non-issue for me, obviously. All the people I know are either in Canada already, or don't want to come to Canada anyways. Besides, my ex came to Canada while the Conservatives were in power. Just because there's a right-wing gov't in power doesn't mean immigration comes to a halt. Everyone knows that the future of this country depends on our immigrants and their children. Last I checked, white people weren't having children in record numbers.

MMA, yes, the NDP's in Saskatchewan were responsible for Medicare, but that was a long time ago, and now that it's here, it ain't gonna go anywhere, regardless of who's in power. Politics is a matter of "what have you done for me lately?" and the NDP's or the Libs have done nothing for me lately.

Pucca   

I've yet to vote but inshallah this year i plan to mark an X on that NDP spot on the sheet...or watever we're suppose to mark an X on.

*fingers crossed* im praying real hard that whichever party wins will end tuition fees (no no, this isnt wishful thinking...it CAN happen)and perhaps pass 'forgiveness' for those with debt from previous years.

*floats away on the dream cloud*

Peasant, have you ever read what the old members of Reform party members believed and what that party's manifesto was? And they still believe, albeit hiding behind the old Progressive Consersative brand, though interestingly they dropped the 'progressive' part after the two parties merged.

Just tell me or give me the issues that compel me to vote a Conservative -- of course as a minority, Muslim and Afrikaan anigoo ah. They offer me nothing, only against what I am -- being a former refugee, which that party members never liked to begin with. They have Stockwell Day -- do you want me to dig what he used to say and still says? And I don't even have to remind you what Stephen Harper used to write, especially during his leadership at the anti-immigrant and anti-social healthcare National Citizens Coalition, an organization that steadfastly campaigned against the universal free healthcare, admitance of Vietnamese refugees to Canada, who were in late '70s similar situation as we were in early '90s. Harper is now trying vainly not to reveal those old opinions of his and that organizatio he used to head.

Caddaan, NDP do represent the working, less fortunate people. Conservatives do not. Conservatives do represent -- and they don't hide that -- for the rich, well-fed cats. That is why they give the corporations tax cuts, but cry a foul when more money is poured into healthcare.

Let me ask you two about this 'waste of vote' you keep saying. The very system of electing MPs is flawed. This first-past-the-post itself is not the ideal of electing member of parliament to Parliament. See, an MP can easily elected by a minority, with 30% of the votes, whereas the rest -- that is 70% who did not vote that said MP -- do not have a true represention to Parliament. This can be corrected if some kind of proportional representation is used, where no vote is wasted. No wonder the Conservative party -- along with some members of Liberals -- are against this.

Because of this first-past-the-post system in place, this Conservative government can form the next government with a mere 36% percent of the electorate and have a majority government. It is unbelievable.

I intend to vote NDP again. I voted twice before and both were for NDP. I believe if it wasn't the provinvial NDP's generous social policies of early '90s in Ontario, many Soomaalis would not be here today. They would have stayed in US.

Hayam, well said, sister.