Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

The Jitters before the Interview

STOIC   

It is the interview morning. I am trying hard to keep the butterfly in my stomach from flying away. I walk up early in the morning to get ready for the big day. The conventional wisdom we all know is to wear suit for every interview. With my limited wardrobe I decided to settle for the dark suit than the light blue suit. I only buy suits when a family member is getting married. The last wedding I attended was the summer of 2004. I donned on my dark suit with my blue dress shirt and my new Perry Ellis tie with the conservative pattern. It was time to settle for the type of shoes to wear. Should I settle for a platform or well heeled shoes? The platform shoe was going to make me look like a funky guy while the heeled shoe was going to make me look taller than I was already. I am a six foot –one inch guy. I am cursing under my breath now. My endorphin is kicking in with racing questions that I couldn’t answer. Who in the ******* world come up with the idea of dressing for an interview? Was my dress going to make a conservative impression on this white male dominated office? Why did I have to express myself through my dress? Never mind, I thought I understand that the objective of interview is to put your foot in the door.

Beads of sweat are racing down my cheek now. Am I ready to conquer this interview? Oh one last thing you forgot MR am ready. Take a look in the mirror before you start dressing up. I haven’t shaved my beard in the last few days. Now I have got pieces of hair all over my face. Do they want my face to look like a Beverly Hills house wife face too? Where is the razor blade? With all this preparation what if I fail to get the job, would it matter a whit to the interviewer that I have a spent a whole night preparing for this interview. It is time to work on my body language in front of the mirror. I need to consult my bubbling and charisma personality. Oh please come out. I really need you today. No mumbling and fidgeting with the eye glasses, okay Mr. I am confident. Smile in front of the mirror. Show them you got what it takes to work there. Seize control of the interviewer after all you are half way through the battle. Don’t give up yet. I got to go now….

"I am a six foot –one inch guy" We need a proof Duqa.

"Was my dress going to make a conservative impression on this white male dominated office?"

Focus less on who your interviewer is, more on how you would sell yourself by educating yourself about the job which you are seeking,always reference your past experience and your ability to resolve issues.

As for body posture, don't slupm into the chair, keep your spine straight, your eyes locked on him/her, and listen attentatively.

N Don't let him/her to take control. Stop them every now and then by asking questions, and make them elaborate more on answers.

N always have a smile on your face, and not to forget, start with firm hand shake!

Shakti   

^^ oyeeee what a smart suggestions HOWEVER(my favorite word) its 2 late noh... he is gone by now

:D

Originally posted by STOIC:

It is the interview morning. ...... I got to go now….

stonic i hope u get it. if not, dont worry and book ur tickets to somalia... somali needs u

Break a leg!

Looking the part can not be over stressed. You got about 10s to make a first impression. If you don't connect in those 10s, forget a second crack your **** is grass. So dress the part, smile and project confidence (they're contagious).

Inshallah you will be great,

Self confidence and tell the white male what u really good at and what is unique about u.

I remind me my self when I graduated from uni and I was full of passion to find my dream job.. elhamdullah.. I’m happy now cuz the company I wanted selected me..

Wish you all the luck bro

Nehanda   

Good advice Che

Although it is not always wise to interrupt the interviewers. An Interview is an opportunity to sell yourself to your prospective employer. If unsure of a question ask them to repeat and where unsure try and give a positive answer but never waffle. Be precise on your answers and speak clearly.

Best of luck Stoic!

Originally posted by Devilangle:

It is the interview morning. ...... I got to go now….[/QB]

LoooL@Devil. Come to think it, Stioc might have been blogging, and made the entry to the wrong site. It does sound little like, "Dear Diary, It is the interview morning"

Stioc....Hopefully you nailed da interview, and landed the job.

Cara.   

Good luck Stoic.

With all the advice about firm handshakes I'm worried the guy's gonna rip the interviewer's arm off smile.gif

Pujah   

Its always good idea let the interviewer do most of the talking ... but dont forget to ask question or two...especially when they ask you if you have any questions..its their way of knowing whether you have been listening all along or day dreaming.

best of luck

STOIC   

Thank you guys for all the advice.However heavy it looked it wasn't that bad at all.I am a little worried about my competition.There was a lady with a PHD in the interviewed pool.My networking freind(an old classmate back in college) works there.He gave me the scoop of the inside story.I hope Insha-Allah it went well.If not it is not the end of the world.