Sign in to follow this  
stpaulchick

Opinion on London

Hey ya'll I just needed some opinion on London before I go and visit next Month(Inshallah). What I need the most information on is "what is the best place to visit and what fun things do they have there"? smile.gif

It depends on what u like to do, mind you there are so many things that are always going on on a day-today basis am sure u wouldnt be stuck for choices.

Anyway i will leave it to the nomad sisters to ply you with suggestions

MD   

Wonder where all the London people are (sisters and brothers) :confused: ....only shujui-1..where u all hidding at?

Come on Nomads ..help the sista i know you guys rule this site, never knew there were a lot of somalis in london until i joined this site :rolleyes:

Asalamu 3alaykum,

Places to go:

1) Regents Park Mosque (Big beautiful in the centre of London near shopping centre and beautiful park called Regents Park)

2) Whitechapel Mosque (Sorrounded by Halal Indian restaurants but go to the ones that dont sell Alcohol)

3) Brixton Mosque (Full of some revert brothers originally from Jamaica so u can get hooked up ;) namean )

4) Finsbury Park Mosque (North London, Sorrounded by somalis and arabs restuarants and good shopping area for textiles)

5) Al Qadar Embassy Mosque (Central London in Mayfair near oxford street shopping centre, arab area, hilton and dochester hotels and near bond street - shopping centres)

6) Al Huda Mosque (Somalis own it in east london, also you can have caano geel or canjeelo in somali restaurants there but it is full of men no women come i havent seen them )

7) Southall Mosque (Equivalant area to Minpls, Dixon version of England, large somali area, you can get all the xaliimo and faarah stuff)

Other Advice:

1) Make sure you have a mahram man with you in the entire journey

2) You dont carry too much money around, stick to credit cards

3) Hang around with good Muslim sistas

4) Watch out for the weirdo faraahs

5) Use a one day travel card on the tube, it cost s £4.50 and allows travel around most of the areas above. Dont get taxis they are expensive cabs are cheaper.

6) And last but not least dont live in hotel stay at a relative house. Dont think about enjoying yourself rather visit familia :cool:

7) Dont behave like a tourist, act London-Like smile.gif

W/SALAAM,

MUJAHID OVER AND OUT !

Well I am gonna visit there in mid fall, I heard there are Good MAFRESH in London. Best place to chew QAT. Loooooool

By the way I am Qat free. No chewing

Regards

Where is my Quote…Coming Soon.

Coloow   

London, magac dheeraa oo xumaa!

London is not as good a place as it sounds: It is comparable to any third world metropolitan (Abidjan, Nairobi). Coming from a developed part of the world to London would certainly be an experience and I wish you good luck:

Here are a few survival tips:

-Make sure you say sir, madam, mate, etc everytime, everywhere. They love "morning sir, morning madam, mate etc).

- Make sure every sentence you say contains the word thanks (it must be the only place on earth where you even say thank you when being wronged , robbed.

-Make sure you take shower/bathe before you come because water seems to be scarse. I don't get the rationale of having two taps (hot and warm)everywhere! be careful, you might burn a body part in the process of having the right mix of warm and cold water.

-Make sure you have your visa card in a safe place because things taken for granted in many parts of the world could lead to robbery. (opening an account, carrying a visa card etc is a thing for the privledged in her majesty's country)

-Make sure that you give yourself a 4 hours margin of error when you want to meet someone (transportation is better on donkeys than buses)

-Make sure to bring sleeping tablets. most somalis don't go to bed until 3 am......

-make sure you can cook and can use boilers, cookers etc. because most of your hostess would be asleep by breakfast and lunch time.

-make sure you go to southall , wembely and upton park and pay a visit to the somali restaurants (make sure you got a TBC, hepatices) vaccinations before you visit the restaurant.

-Be careful . not many somali londeners have a driver's license or car insurance. Get an extra cover before you come!

NinBrown   

stpaulchick

London is good place to visit...if u comin in summer u gonna have lots of fun...just with thte Somalis..if u r into entertainment u get plenty of it, if u into sport plenty, if you into boys/girls plenty......and ofcourse its the ultamate city for chewing qaad...what more could u ask for. When u come Just let the UK nomads now of u r arraival...and u gonna he a smasjing time mate.

Entrepreneur

Iam not here to defend London, cos I is a refugee arse..and when i was back in Africa i would have went to any EU/North American city the plane would taken me to....but since i have been here its the best city for Somalis to be in outside of Somalia...man u get advatages in educatation, employment, cereer advancement and all kinda stuf...so London kicks arse.

Coloow   

Nino, you are quite right in saying that it is the most friendly somali town in western europe. You are also right that there are opportunities.

But I was talking about the general standards! I have been to many countries (rich and poor). London does not live upto its name!

Nino, wadankale weligaa ma tagtay?

Thnx Mujahid i'll surley attend those areas. LOL Entrepreneur, but I've heard many people praising London, but thnx for the lookout. So I better get life,dential,and medical insurance, huh. Thnx Nino i'll for sure look for some nomads. smile.gif

Coloow   

Staupchick(Waxu magac adkaa!)I forgot to add visit "speaker's corner " in central london to experience the art of excersing freedom of speech.

Originally posted by Entrepreneur:

London does not live upto its name!

War maxaad tidhi? :eek: Wiy oo wiy, yaa gacanta isoo kaa galiya, si wacan baan kuu tumilahaa! :mad:

Imagine the cheek...vilifying my beloved city! :mad:

Stpaulchick,

London is wicked. Am sure u'll enjoy it, I'A.

Previous discussions about London

Thnx Barwaaqo for the heads up. My theory on this is if u've never been to London don't judge it because u've heard rumors or what not...that ain't right. But Entrepreneur has it's own opinions and should not be judged. smile.gif

Coloow   

Barwaaqo: LOL do you live in London? meeshaa baas!

Staupchick: you are right, and I hope to get some feedback from you after you visit. The impression you will get depends on where you are coming from.

Lander: ku soo dhowow saaxib waa lagu marti gelinayaa!