Sign in to follow this  
hiba

Personal fashion - for the girls

hiba   

Girls

I think there is something wrong with me. No seriously.

Am I the only one that changes her personal (fashion) style every six months????

Six months a go I was dressing like I was forty (Ya that bland), now I am wearing the sixties. I dont get it. I don't have a signature style or a comfort style like alot of Somali gals who dress so elegantly do. I am 24 and like I dont have any identity issues either - for those of you who are inclined to explain things from a psychologoical perspective.

I also had a good and nourishing childhood. So no issues there. So how come I change my fashion so often? And i cant seem to stick with a partciular style. I see this as a negative.

Ideas?

U been thru this?

As a woman what is your personal style / fashion. What inspires you when choose your clothing? Favourite shops?

Ps: Currently I like Zara and Laura Ashely. Pricy tho.

Zafir   

I think there is something wrong with me. No seriously.

If whatever that’s wrong with you were anymore wrong’er, you my dear would have been completely and absolutely dysfunctional. Yeah seriously.

Modesty   

Girl, nothing is wrong with changing things a bit. I get bored at having the same style, and I for one like to evolve with how my tastes change. Doesn't have anything to do with identity issues.And if anyone thinks that, oh well that's how the world is, everyone has some negativity to add to your character...blah blah blah heard it all.Next!

Modesty   

Oh yeah, I like to be a trendsetter, I don't like to look like everyone else, so I always find things that make me feel "unique"...then the next day I see a girl doing my style. :D

Miriam1   

Please don't tell me this is your big "issue" in life. your making me seriously jelous!

Nyway.

Who cares what others wear? your obiviously creative, so enjoy yourself!

JUSTICE   

if your shopping at Zara an LA , then your fine.

I remember one girl telling me that I dress like an old lady, but i can't blame her , with all the covering up business, which she can't understand , we will look like old ladies.

Just dress up modestly, try new colours, and styles, treat your self with new things in special occasions, and you gonna feel like a million doallar. it doesn't work all the time , but avoiod the mirror !!!!!

hiba   

Thanks hayam and it is an issue....but not the biggest lol

But avoiding the mirror is an interesting suggestion.....

Is a woman really capable of doing that?

JUSTICE   

^^ yeah if you don't wanna feel old, it works. What about your friends , don't you get ideas from your friends. I mean it is enough if you wear elegent cloths, but sometimes you need to feel confident as well.

hiba   

See thats the thing - we all dress differently. And I am gald that is the case! To be honest.

Yes i think it is about confidence in the end, confidence to try something new, defy the morm and be unique.

In our culture, there is little space for individual expression i suppose, and its ironic how it is fashion which really defines who you are!!

It's natural to change styles. I like to try out different things as well. Sometimes, out of the blue, I get an image in my mind and then it's time for a wardrobe change!

I dress pretty casually for work now and I'm bored with it. I'm thinking I'ld luv to wear sleek suits and heels. Maybe I ought to get a job in the city.

I love Zara too.

Sophist   

Val! Job in the City will suit you well-- though I suspect your deep-seated morality and wishing world peace might be troubled a bit!.

hiba   

See thats the thing

I also think your personal style is to some etxent determined by which sector you are in!!

How many private sector people do you know that walk in to Primark.

I work in the not for profit sector and its all about dry elegance, less serious and more fluffy and light hearted in fashion.But thats not because we cant afford it tho.....voluntarty sector jobs are comparable to public ones. Good dosh lol. It is the environment you are in which has an impact on your fashion choice.

So next time I see a brother who is wearing a dashing suit...i know which sector he is at!! lol

A sweeping generalization? Prejudice even?

LoL...there definitely something to that. City folks are shiny and chic. Very bling. Our Sophist is a perfect example: He is always in an immaculate suit.

Also, I have noticed the not-for-profit sector is more trendy and exploratory than the Public sector. Public sector workers dress dully, even when they wear suits and other professional styles, they still look dull. They have a lifeless vibe to them. It's the environment. Govt buildings kill people's creativity.

^^^I don't like guys who wear suits (work is excusable) or guys who look anything remotely preppy. Hey thats jus me!

Hibo would it be presumptuous if I assumed that you've outgrown having a style icon? If not please abaayo macaanto get one. Like totally. :D