Sign in to follow this  
Castro

How do you say 'guilt' in Somali?

Cara.   

Duh, murugo, I don't know why I didn't remember it. It means "remorse" too...

P.S. You just had to throw in the original sin in there, didn't you? [big Grin]

:D Whatever do you mean, Castro?

Salaan...

Guilt = Damqi [damqad]

Waraa, maka damqaneysid miyaa? [Don't you feel guilt]

Wife = Oori, xilo, maranti, xaas, arad, bilcaan iyo afo. Plus the informal "naag."

Intaas oo erey jiro and few of you know. Ar af Soomaali maxaa kas la isku iloowsiiye.

Callypso you're totally wrong in your assumptions and there is also no need for castro to cheer and encourage you because you don't know what you're talking about after all I'am a historian first and a linguist second I hope you got that!

My soomaali is good compared to yours which is imperfect.

As I said there is no direct translation for "bal" and as someone earlier pointed out it is merely a interragational reply.

On the other hand "murugo" isn't remorse even a primary school pupil would get that but it is certainly above your capacity. First remove the garbage then fill up your capacity and then reply.

Remorse means in Soomaali "qoomamo and tiiraanyo" but not murugowhich in english translates into entaglement! But you wouldn't know that because you would be a mere 6992st linguist in here.

Eed could be used as guilt for worst has been suggested like "dembiile". E.g. Waan eedeesanahay which means Iam guilty not of a crime althoug one could use to describe it as such.

Guilt could also be translated as "Gef". Damqad although good but not perfect.

Not many people speak classical Somali. Keena ugu fiican wuxuu ku hadlaa intuu suuqa kaga soo adeegto.

Guilt - I have no idea. MMA's suggestion sounds closest to me. But am hardly fluent.

One word that I have never been able to translate into Somali is 'enjoy'.

How would one say they enjoyed themselves in Somali?

E.g: 'Thanks, I really enjoyed myself tonight'

The closest thing I could come up with was:

'Istareex' sounds sleazy/perverted (even if its a correct word), 'raaxo' is close but isn't quite the right word. The opposite of raaxo would be rafaad (struggle? suffering?), but neither struggle nor suffering is the opposite of enjoyment. That's how I made the distinction anyway. Baashaal (as in, ii baashaal...) isn't quite right either.

Any thoughts?

LoL @ Bal adba. Xiin, funny you should bring that phrase up. It is one of the many kooky Somali phrases that I adore. I recently heard a story about a certain Somali tribe lagu dacaayadeeyo their use of 'Bal adba' as an answer to enquiring/difficult questions.

Oh and Yoonis? You should quit while you're ahead. icon_razz.gif

LoooL at istareex. U're not supposed to enjoy yourself, dear.

With all the different interpretations of words we're coming up with, is it any wonder we have communication problems?

Castro   

Originally posted by Yoonis_Cadue:

emorse means in Soomaali "qoomamo and tiiraanyo" but not
murugo
which in english translates into entaglement! But you wouldn't know that because you would be a mere 6992st linguist in here.

Atheer, you're either deficient in Somali or English or both. Now cut the crap and go to your room.

LoL...Yeah I can just picture politely thanking someone after an evening out with:

Waad mahadsantahay walaalo, caawa aad iyo aad baan u raaxaystay.

Yikes!

Sheh: Manners, my dear girl, manners. You have to say you've enjoyed urself if you have. Enjoyment is good, istareex and raaxo are bad. Bad!

Originally posted by Yoonis_Cadue:

I'am enjoing myself thoroughly= Waan raaxaysanayaa aad iyo aad or Aad iyo Aad baan uu raaxaysanayaa.

'Mr Yawn-unis' ,adiga malaha you have a prob reading simple ingiris sentences haye?.

This is what Ahura said: 'Thanks, I really enjoyed myself tonight'

Anyway,Ahura i am guessing you wanna thank an ESL farax[A sugar daddy perhaps?] who took you out on a boat ride? well here is what you tell the poor fella;

Aboowe,oops,i mean Adeer, hehe just call him walaal ; "Mahadsanid,aboowe waan baashalay" icon_razz.gif

Shehe;loool Abayadis get your maskax out of the gutter smile.gif