Sign in to follow this  
dawoco

The virtue of being fat- a bus ride to self discovery...

juba   

^^ :D yep the best way to go is to drive or walk, let the bus/train be your LAST choice! it always is for me. But if you don't have a car or its to long to walk, by all means endure the torture :(

Dawoco cool story! you sure have a talent in writing! who knew the bus/train could be a "road" to self discovery!! smile.gif

Originally posted by Raganimo:

quote:"Londoners who travel by public transport will know the pain of our existence are fellow travellers"

...Tell me about it!

Or rather, don't. I'm still trying to forget today's experiences. icon_razz.gif

For you non-Londoners, you can come up with all kinds of terrible examples, but nothing, NOTHING, can compare with the human trash-infested tinboxes that snake their way around this city.

Let me tell you about our buses and the people who use them. London busses have been engineered to attract the vilest most obnoxious of customers.

Every year, on Friday the 13th, His Royal Highness Ken Livingstone holds a meeting to discuss the most effective way to alienate 99% of its customers.

Despite the ticket prices being higher than the average annual income, it still manages to attract the kind of people for whom genocide is not only considered acceptable but mandatory.

However, I can deal with old ladies terrorising me for seats. I can deal with huge prams the size of trucks taking up all the space. I can deal with people who put their twenty shopping bags on my lap. I can deal with screaming babies.

But I cannot deal with ........ all the bloody SINGING!

God knows I am a patient woman, but there is something about a group of teenagers subjecting me to 30 minutes of incessant shrieking pulses of terror that they call singing - that really brings out the Hitler in me.

Rapping is almost worse. Just because certain words rhyme, it doesn't mean that it actually means anything:

I have a car

And a big scar

I can't see far

In Madagascar

Seriously, imagine having to listen to worse things than the rubbish above for an hour.

I hate teenagers. I hate Somali teenagers in Woolwich even more, because why aren't their parents smacking them upside the head like they ought to?

I rather have my head smashed through the window of the bus by the fat man sitting next to me, than having to listen to the terrible, soul-shattering shrieking noises these kids make.

(ugh, don't mind me, had a bad day)

I absolutely adore the vancouver public transportaion system. It rocks!!! Of course I screamed about increasing fares and the lack of more buses for the main roads....but compared to you guys...I think I'll be grateful from now on. :D

Laba-X   

Despite the ticket prices being higher than the average annual income...

This increase has surely put my financial status in doubt! a hefty £1,056 in just transport is ridiculous!

But I cannot deal with ........ all the bloody SINGING!

Xu, those "incessant shrieking pulses of terror" as you call them are inconsequential compared to a bunch of Yardies or sometimes Somali teenagers huddled in the back row screaming If you don't know 'bout me, POW, you'd betta' ask quickly, POW, Coz am POW, yeah am POW!" God sometimes i wish the floor beneath them would swallow them or they Vanish WHOOSH!

I hate teenagers. I hate Somali teenagers in Woolwich even more, because why aren't their parents smacking them upside the head like they ought to?

...Hate is a rather strong word to use! Don't let it injure you dear.

Tuujiye   

FF beenleey aa tahay...wiilasha maskiimiinta ah baa gaaska ka dhameysay..reer vancoover..wax kale la imoow..anaa kuu aqaan meeshaas..

Who takes a Bus maal mahaan..I understand people in UK but in North america most of the people drive..Only schooleey baran baro baa qaataan basaska..lol..

Aniga I Bike if don't feel like driving..

But winter time..boooooooy y'all better save up to buy a car if you don't have one...

wareer badanaa!!!

So what faults of yourself have you discovered and how?

Good question. No one's answering it.

I know that I can't tolerate bad smells well. And that my compassion and tolerance drop quite dramatically when confronted with whiffs and pongs from fellow tube-takers particularly. It is bad enough being underground, to-ing and fro-ing from a desk job but having to pay through the same nose that has to deal with the regular onslaught of breaking down organic matter? It's too much to bear.

I should write to Livingstone and suggest that all London Transport stations, buses and trains be feng-shuied- separate the smellies from the rest. Bring in signs that read, 'Mind the ponging git', 'No ponging', 'Ponging gits sit here', 'Ponging gits hold your breath and do the rest of us a favour!'.

Originally posted by sheherazade:

So what faults of yourself have you discovered and how?

None. When it comes to public transport, I dont push, pull, smell or stare. icon_razz.gif

The public transport is a painful joke. Two yrs ago the bus fare was slighty more than half of what it is now. We pay more and get less service, more delays & not a single noticable improvement. Its infuriating to say the least. I spend a whopping grand on transport a year, should get myself a bloody car...

... on 2nd thought, with congestion charging, immense pollution and rediculous traffic, just as bad. Heck! transport is a joke in this city

NGONGE   

Heh. Looks like you people have really been assimilated into the English way of thinking! Hark at you complaining about London transport! What next, London’s bad weather? :D

One day, I’m going to really tell you about my experiences on London transport, one day...

Don’t fret dawoco, at least that “big boned†woman was a human, you should try having your faced licked by a tramp’s dog in a full train carriage, dear. :(

N.O.R.F   

^^^lool

POW,If you don't know 'bout me, POW, you'd betta' ask someone quickly, POW, Coz am POW, yeah am POW!

Thats a heavy track blad :D

Luckily enough i dont have the pleasure of using LT on a daily basis. But driving can be fatal too many road rage incidents for my liking. Just this morning there was an incident right in front me. On Monday morning the road was closed due to a car on fire, i was late by 40 mins while the fire engine doused the flames.

Dawoco, good thread.

Xu

God knows I am a patient woman, but there is something about a group of teenagers subjecting me to 30 minutes of incessant shrieking pulses of terror that they call singing - that really brings out the Hitler in me.

:D:D

Raganimo

Xu, those "incessant shrieking pulses of terror" as you call them are inconsequential compared to a bunch of Yardies or sometimes Somali teenagers huddled in the back row screaming If you don't know 'bout me, POW, you'd betta' ask quickly, POW, Coz am POW, yeah am POW!" God sometimes i wish the floor beneath them would swallow them or they Vanish WHOOSH!

I think the above gave a good description of the mental distress one suffers by using LT.

The Somali kids in my area are mostly well behaved.

I dont get why they [LT] are allowed to increase the cost of travel when the service is always getting worse. Dirty people, dirty trains and busses and dirty pricess. Oh well one must not complain too much.

dawoco   

Ngonge, i haven't had the pleasure of a street dog,ehm, showing me affections on LT yet, but i did get caught betwen two prams with mad mothers giving me dirty look as if i was the one taking up all the space. Oh how i hate oap's and mothers with children with more bagages than they kno wwhat to do with. And they only travel during the peak hours redface.gif

Xu i feel ur pain, once there was a guy with an Elvis haircut and a guitar. I was suspicious but kept the hope alive when he remained seated for a whole 5 mins. But that was in vain as he got up to strut his stuff. As if subjecting us to his bad kareoke wasn't bad enough, he actually tried to make us pay for it :eek:

Actually, Lt is a source of adventure, imagine how boring life would be if everything went without a glitch :D

Originally posted by dawoco:

As if subjecting us to his bad kareoke wasn't bad enough, he actually tried to make us pay for it :eek:

Oh God, that made me laugh so hard I hurt myself at my desk.

Ngonge, you can't live in England and not get caught up in the whinging frenzy that's sweeping the country. Honestly if we didn't have other things to complain about, we'd be forced to complain about ourselves.

The weather is so rubbish today.

Public transport eh? I thought I was inured to it all after 5 years of daily use...

Till I got stuck on the train for two and a half hours last tuesday evening because a frigging prat got himself electrocuted at Clapham Junction. Took me 4 hours to make a 30 minute journey home.

Just realised I had assumed the fatality at Clapham Junction ST to have been a male. Can't tell you why...maybe because a woman wouldn't be negligent enough to fall into the tracks. :rolleyes:

PS: And yes, the weather has been abysmal NGONGE!