Sign in to follow this  
Deeq A.

Somali forum

Viking   

I don't see what the fuss is all about! There's a women's forum and I don't think they feel discriminated for getting their own forum. They take pride in it (or it seems) and doesn't stop them from participating in other forums and discussing other topics.

The people who can't respond when adressed in Somali are also (at times) patronised for not being able to comprehend. This will be avoided if there is a forum where people speak only Somali. In the future, other languages can also be added and Somalis who speak Swahili, Arabic, French etc can get their own forums where they have an option to communicate with people from the region where they grew up. As long as we are not split along tribal lines, I think we are okay.

NGONGE   

I was going to be a good boy and not openly criticise anything. But, since everyone had already had a go and the admin had left this topic open(and their PM closed), I'm assuming comments are welcome on this topic!

I have no real objection to the idea of a Somali forum within a Somali forum. I'm sure the idea made great sense when it was first thought up. My only reservations are to do with those who complained; it really does not require a great effort on my part to work out who it is! The pesudo-literati have spoken and seem to have got their wishes granted! The admin informs us that there are changes to be made to the General forum. These changes are to be made because of an agreement amongst some regulars and the management of the site that the "Quality" has been deteriorating! Call me a half wit if you please, but what sort of quality were you expecting from a forum that describes itself on the main page as "Only "general" chit-chatting!"?

This is akin to a Luddite blaming his PC for writing gibberish when it's him who does not know what QWERTY is!

If the management of the site feel a change is needed, then who am I to disagree. However, I question the assertion that the "Quality" of the General forum is lacking when the sign on the door invites you to chitchat; it's either a general free for all or it's not!

As for the naval gazing and remembering the great old days, well, we all do that. I used to run faster, climb walls and lots of women found me extremely irresistible. I'm sure I could do all of that again if I pushed myself a little but my maturity gets in the way sometimes.

Anyway, it's good to review things from time to time and see if we can improve them and increase the chances for all to benefit. However, witch hunts are not nice.

(these comments are to both sides complaining here but they're mostly directed at those lurking in the shadows with neither wit nor courage with their ludicrous aspirations of a Somali nirvana that's full of critical thinking. I'm not talking about the admin either).

I only did this upon remembering the famous words of that German pastor:

'First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist, so I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat, so I did nothing. Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little. Then when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me.' :mad:

Qac Qaac   

Can we call the new forum Baro forum... ok acuudu billaahi ha igu soo boodina is just a suggestion. since only baros and 10 more nomads only use the somali language.

I agree with Boolbaro. it should be called languages... then u could write any language u like.

but is true as many nomads already said it. sad to see somali speaking ppl are isolated by somalies who speak no somali...

p.s. so admin... let me ask u this.. if a topic is started in english.. let's in somewhere on politics, or debate or islam site, i can't never respond in somali? is that the case.

Baashi   

Let me add my taano to this interesting exchange!

It looks like that admins./moderators have made up their mind on the subject. I can’t help but smile about the notion that Somali writers on Somali Online Forums are having a degenerative effect on the quality of the site. I sympathize with the folks who don’t read/write Somali language. Their predicament is understandable and one would expect that nomads who can read/write English would write in English so other nomads whom one is addressing can understand what’s posted. It is a common courtesy!

Having said that it will be interesting to see how the admins’ new rules are enforced. Are they going to take a disciplinary action against nomads in the event someone writes his/her post in Somali in other forums designated for English speakers? How does that make them look? Progressive Somali website whose aims include giving nomads their piece of the net have rules that limit the said demographic to only one section! And this constraint is imposed to protect the quality of the site!

We’ll see how this works out. Good, I hope.

Gediid   

Ah finally a playground for the refugees.Admin Ilaahey ha idin daayo.I have no problem with a Somali section.I even have a name for it.Xeerada Niicda iyo Niiclayaasha.Kinda of a tongue twister so maaha.Well somalis horey u tidhi naacaas iyo habeen baa madow now its niicle iyo naacaas no English.Me beri hore learned my verbs come before the nouns mise it was the other way round.

Anyways me point waa simple no broblem kaad ku hadashaba waa the same, most people have no problem switching back n forth between languages(that already happens in almost all the posts).Only problem imika my fingers will get tired from too much clicking back n forth between more threads but laakin the same people each one trying hard to prove how their level of intelligence is far superior to the previous poster.

Curly   

Originally posted by Gediid:

Well somalis horey u tidhi naacaas iyo habeen baa madow now its niicle iyo naacaas no English.

Gediid were you by any chance indirectly, directing that at me? (Now that's a tongue twister!)

No seriously, were you? Because if you were that was rather insensitive and actually offended me for two whole seconds. icon_razz.gif

Or maybe I was being paranoid again!?? :confused:

Juxa   

sa wr wb,

why cant we call a spade a spade, maxaa loo meeraysanayaa, we used to be all here, and either write english, somali or mixed.

whatever happened to respect, dignity and common courtesy? if u are posting a topic u must have yr reader in your mind all the time. is the reader gettin the message, are u involvin, inviting and enticing the reader?

comeon, pple, i applaud a somali section bt i think the reason behind it is totally to keep the peace. yes there is a problem, yes it needs solvin bt further segretion wont do it.

somalidu sidoodaba, is xilqama way uga dartaa. we dont need guulwade, and with all due respect iam sure there is matters of more importance that the admin have in their hands.

so, lets all be grown up, and stop spoiling this site. if everyone was lil bit more tolerent and understanding, none of this will happen.

it saddens me walahi to see, labo kasta madaxa is haysata. that is so sad. lets compromise, speaking somali does not make u english, speaking english does not make u the Queen's cousin.

so wake up pple! and drop the attitude. what is gonna happen to those who dont find english nor somali easier?

hw about dutch speakers! i mean if we do go on and on, its gonna be total waste. lets write both, lets integrate, lets be walaalo.

wa bilahi towfiq :confused:

Subxaanal Laah,

Juxa, sis may allah make you insignificant in your own eyes and significant in the eyes of others.....you have touched two very key points that really sum up the value and the talent that we all bring to this site... tolerance and understanding

Iam looking at this like Somalia The Country and am saying NO WONDER why we don't get along, No Xaqdhowr, NO Ixtiraam, NO Dareen, No Damiir, No Garasho, and to make it all perfect "Nin waliba qumanihiisa ayaa qoorta u suran"....so Nomads change doesn't come by chance but by effort by willing by determination instead......

I sincerely hope we looked as handsome/beautifull to others as we do to ourselves.....

asxantu

dawoco   

^^i see that you are taking the moral high ground, and its very admirable of you. But to be quite honest bro, it is too little too late as far as i am concerned.

Everything that happens does for a reason,and has a cause, so it is no use to stand on the side and comment after we have come to this point. We all have opinions and we all feel wronged, so where do we go from here? A somalia online where the language is parked in a designated area? Is that really what this site and its goals have come to?

^^^My Sweet Lil sister Dawaco, i have Parked in Moral high grounds,because i feel we should all park there to make our intentions pure, It's neva that little and that late sis, so don't be that concerned of how things will work out....

Nothing eva happens for a reason unless it's let believed reason and No let believed reason will eva have a cause, it will ONLY have an effect sis.

We all have opinions and we all feel wronged, so where do we go from here? we forgive and we forget actually we don't forget, but we cafis walaashiis we cafis and that we'll bring a betta day

A somalia online where the language is parked in a designated area? No, but the citizens of this website have made this non existent issue of language an issue, but needless ta say the out come of this is eva clear now, do you ladies and gentlemen.....do you

Is that really what this site and its goals have come to? No xabiibiti no, the goals of this site remain the same, Value is #1, Quality is #2.....

Wagar maya Aga....Balo ma jidho dadoow Balo ma jidho, haday jidhana ma Buurna ;)

asxantu

Som@li   

Asalamau calaykum

I welcome this idea, IFF we somali speakers get image of the current site in somali, and english is not allowed in somali sections.

Else, it will be insultig to us who prefer to write/read in somali, and I plead to management to reconsider this option.

wasalaam

I don't recall reading anything about taking a vote on having "AF-SOMALI" SECTION of the FORUM, yet most of you went out of your ways to voice your opinions on the matter.(What's wrong with you all???)

I don't think admin posted this thread to ask show of hands on who is for it/against it...

He sounded like he already made his mind up, and for some of you to start pickering at each other,and for certain individuals to take cheap shots@admin himself, thats just sad...("ADMIN FAVOURING THE FEMALES??? thats very childish)

ADMIN HAS NOT MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT RULES & REGULATIONS REGARDING THE NEW AF SOMALI SECTION.(from my understanding, he just means, any thread that is written in somali would be moved to the new forum, but I don't recall him getting into the specifics. Regardless of some of you responding in somali/english, your comments will be intacted as always whether they be at general, women or any other forums, its just that the somali threads such as "SHEEKO JACAYL" and others written in such manners would be categorized(STRICKLY SOMALI) will have their own zone, so that those who like to read that story in detail and more threads like would have the opportunity to respond, and those same individuals can access it directly at the somali section of the SOL FORUM)

One last thing I wanted to address, I don't recall admin mentioning anything about who has been complaining nor has he gotten to gender specifics, and I think that no member in this forum needs to tolerate such behaviour from the likes of khayr and his clansmen...(THAT COMMENT WAS UNCALLED FOR AND I THINK YOU NEED TO PAY THE CONSEQUENCES, WHATEVER THEY MIGHT BE)

BOTTOM LINE IS, THIS ISSUE WOULDN'T HAVE COME UP, HAD Y'ALL STOPPED FILTERING THIS SECTION OF THE GENERAL FORUM, Y'ALL BROUGHT THIS ON YOUR OWN. (I DON'T CARE IF SOME OF YOU WRITE IN SOMALI OR ENGLISH, I ENJOY READING BOTH LANGUAGES TO SOME DEGREE AND I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BOTH SIDES NOR DO I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ADMIN'S DECISION...)

Qac Qaac   

waa wada dad shaqa la'aan ah, oo iska raba in ay iska murmaan. dadoo maxaa ka murmaysaan, r u guys just arguing for the sake of arguing, coz i understand nothing of what u all saying.

admin do what u think is right. this is your place... dadkiinana calaacal ka badan naga daaya, bisinka maxaa waaye meeshaan wada sensitive ppl, aa ka buuxa.

Waagii hore soomaalida isku fikrad ey ahaan jireen. Wax walba oo laga hadlo weey isku raaci jireen. Qofka khilaafka badan waxaa loo arkay inuu yahay qof xun.

Laakiin dhibaatooyinka aan aragnay baryahan, gaar ahaan imaanshihii qurbaha galbeedka, waxaa ka mid ah in xitaa hadii laga hadlo JANADA waxaa soo baxaaya kuwa naga mid ah oo ku dhahaayo JANADA WAA LAGA FIICAN YAHAY!

Yaab anagaa aragnay!

F.G. Hada maxaa laga rabaa luuqadeenii dhameed ee hooyo?