Sign in to follow this  
Deeq A.

Somali forum

dawoco   

SOL was better when there was less democracy. Because as it thread has shown, we nomads can never agree on what we want.

The admin is trying to consider everyone’s take on this I assume, as admin never posts open topics.

Both those that are for and against the proposal have made good points.

And I can understand both arguments, at the end of the day there will be some left out whether it is those that feel secluded in one area or those that feel they can't partake in all that is being discussed.

For me personally, it wouldn't really make a difference and I think it might have a worse effect on everyone at the end, because segregation causes people to interact less with one another.

We nomads need to consider others instead of what we and our friends’ prefer sometimes, if we had done that from day one this topic wouldn't have had any relevancy today.

That is just my opinion.

Admins, you are genius!

Why do I say this? Because for one, not everyone who is Somali can speak/read/write in af Somali. Many of us were born, raised and currently reside in many different places in the world, and I feel that we need to be mindful of that.

Lately, there has been people here who decided they want to write in Somali (nothing wrong with that) but to people who they KNOW can't respond or even understand what is being said to them. And that doesn't seem right. Nothing wrong with using the language, but its the way that its being used against those people and the arrogance of people who feel that if you are Somali, then you must be perfect in reading/writing/speaking/joking in Somali, when that's not what really makes you a true Somali. But hey, its a matter of opinion.

To those who relevantly want to type in Somali, its a good idea to have your piece of the net as well. It's a compromise and it just might work.

So good job to the Admins.

Khayr,

oh, how cute. You are jealous of the females on SOL? This is the highest compliment really.

dawoco   

DA, it just seems like the compromise is being made to silence the voice of a majority and to apease a minority that has alienated so many.

I don't see how segregating our language from other forums wil work. There have never been complaints about mixing the languages in all forums before, and those nomads that have difficulty with our llanguage have never felt left out, so why is that happening now?

The problem goes far deeper than that and I just feel like a bigger issue is being side stepped, and it is sad.

Waryaa dude,

I know my af somali, thanks very much. And I've been raised in many places, but so what if you can still speak and write in Somali? Are you more superior to those who can't?

Dawaco,

I was under the impression that a majority here (excluding the political section-which is a different site altogether) typed in English. I could be wrong though.

I think Sullen_Sue ;) said what i might have articulated in different way, so i shall shave the rep-attion

I hope this Move will bring clarity and help de-fuse alot of the hot-air we currently got boiling up nomads in here :D .

Tuujiye   

nuune waa hadashay sxb.."Afsomali forum"..in a somali web site....lol..no disrespect but walaahi it sounds sad..

DA. stop talking please. You of all people don't like anything about somaliness..I say this because I have crossed path with you in the past and almost every somali speaking MEN in SOL have.You have a different problem than the one we are talking about here so please save your speach for those that are getting to know your personality on SOL.

DA I didn't write and read somali when I came to Canada in 1991 and know I could even write poetry.. and you know I understood the importance of my language. oo YEA if a person a somali person doesn't know his mother thung language, YES THEY ARE WEEK when it comes to being somali and they need to learn their mother thung language. But you would say as usualy "what does culture and language have to do with being a somali"..I would say "every thing so go and educate your self in your own language"....

I'm somali and I don't have to learn my language aint gonna work in my point of view. I believe every somali person should be able to read and write somali and speek perfectly. And if you can't do that because you think is "reer badinimo or an naccesery" then please ha sheegan somalinimo.

PS. DA. you said you know your language, then how come you have never wrote in somali? is it may be you are a shamed of it. If you know it respond back to me in somali please.

I'm sorry if I sound rude but i'm only speeking the truth.....

wareer badanaa!!

Khayr   

Hmmm, interesting,

so far its all the 'SEX in the City' fEMALE fans (I'm a fan too but I'm Male) and Latte sippers that want this SEGREGATION.

Caajib, :rolleyes:

Interesting Debate-ACCOMODATE PEOPLE or

STICK TO YOUR GUNZ?

I like this debate though, now I remember why

I came to SOL in the first place.

Fi Amanillah

Senora   

Its not a bad idea, and the way it was b4 wasn't bad either....

....but those who complained about it are being a bit silly?! And you guys are the same people who get defensive when you have those ridiculing you for not knowing Somali!...

Neither of you should dictate who should speak what! Come on now! How simple-minded can you people be!...

the only problems i've noticed are the ones DA has mentioned...and thats a reoccuring problem in here :rolleyes: ....

Lets grow up......

- If someone prefers to speak in english, then maxaa ka galey?...walaahi, waa caajib! As my Silent_Sista said, Knowing the Somali culture doesnt make it any better for you in the eyes of Allah...isn't that what matters!

- The same goes to those that are complaining about the usage of the Somali language....Grow up and open your minds! Not everyone prefers to write in English!

- And to those rude buffoons who respond to ppl in languages they know they dont fully understand( and you know who!)....shame on you :rolleyes: ...you wouldnt want to be in a situation like that..so if you can help it, how about taking the high road....but if maturity isnt your preference in these discussions, then many of the viewers need not waste their time on you!

Sophist   

Arinkani waa mid aan ayaamahan oo idil igu gohaamaayey. Rag badan oo is leh Soomali ayaad qori kartaan (ragaas anigaa ku jira), ayaa ceebi ka raaci doontaa.

Waxaan sugnaaba waa labo maalmood insha Allah.

Originally posted by Feebaro:

nuune waa hadashay sxb.."Afsomali forum"..in a somali web site....lol..no disrespect but walaahi it sounds sad..

DA. stop talking please. You of all people don't like anything about somaliness..I say this because I have crossed path with you in the past and almost every somali speaking MEN in SOL have.You have a different problem than the one we are talking about here so please save your speach for those that are getting to know your personality on SOL.

DA I didn't write and read somali when I came to Canada in 1991 and know I could even write poetry.. and you know I understood the importance of my language. oo YEA if a person a somali person doesn't know his mother thung language, YES THEY ARE WEEK when it comes to being somali and they need to learn their mother thung language. But you would say as usualy "what does culture and language have to do with being a somali"..I would say "every thing so go and educate your self in your own language"....

I'm somali and I don't have to learn my language aint gonna work in my point of view. I believe every somali person should be able to read and write somali and speek perfectly. And if you can't do that because you think is "reer badinimo or an naccesery" then please ha sheegan somalinimo.

PS. DA. you said you know your language, then how come you have never wrote in somali? is it may be you are a shamed of it. If you know it respond back to me in somali please.

I'm sorry if I sound rude but i'm only speeking the truth.....

wareer badanaa!!

Baro, You sound a bit on the defensive. Did I say anything to receive so much contempt from a baro????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Walaal, first of all grow up and learn the proper way to discuss issues like grownups do. If you would go back and re-read what I have said, you will see that I said there is NOTHING wrong with speaking Somali. If you choose to. There should also be nothing wrong with speaking ENGLISH. If you choose to. Now, why is my Somaliness and whether I could speak/read or write in Somali being questioned here? It seems like you are personalizing the issue, when there is no need to. I could speak the language but unlike some nomads, I don't rub it in other people's faces and cuss at them in a way YOU know they won't understand. And I also choose the language in which I can articulate myself the best. And that happens to be in English. I guess that makes me a weak person. That is, if your opinion even mattered to me ;)

Curly   

So let me get this right! In your eyes people who are disadvantaged enough to be unable to read and write Somali should put up with this constant abuse from better-endowed Nomads? Because that’s all I’ve been accustom to!

I’m constantly being confronted by certain Nomads who know fully well I’m unable to read and write Somali and then they have the cheek to reply to me in Somali, saying god knows what! Is that their idea of a sick joke?

Next they’ll be laughing at people with no legs and boasting about their ability to run.

If I’ve chosen or was unable to for whatever reason to learn to read and write in Somali… then since when was this a crime and if it was a crime to whom exactly am I suppose to have committed this horrible crime to?

They way I see it is that all of you are able to read and write in English yet some of you choose to write in Somali, which is fine when directed at other Somali reading and writing nomads. But I don’t see why a topic I start in order to receive feedback on by other Nomads on SOL should be in a language I do not understand! (What use is that to me?)

So would it not make sense that a section solely for Somali readers and writers was made to accommodate everyone in a peaceful manner?

And as for comments made regarding segregation being caused because of the af Somali section I believe that this is not entirely the case because if SOL stays how it is now more conflicts are likely to be initiated… If we can’t even communicate with one another properly, people are likely to get frustrated and act idiotically.

Tuujiye   

And I also choose the language in which I can articulate myself the best. And that happens to be in English.

Bingooooooooo!!! I don't think I need to say anything alse...

Now you know why we write in our language. you don't hear me complaining about your english or people like mutakalims english cause I don't understan anything he writes..lol..

I know my af somali, thanks very much.

What happen to it???

Listen I asked to write to me in somali so you could prove to me that you know your somali..lol..but I guess what makes you mad at us all the time is because we know something you don't know...lol..You need to grow up sis not me.

Just go back and read what your writing!

wareer badanaa!!

Tuujiye   

by Sue

If I’ve chosen or was unable to for whatever reason to learn to read and write in Somali since when was this a crime and if it was a crime to whom exactly am I suppose to have committed this horrible crime to?

LoooL you guys are just making my work easy..This quote goes both ways don't you think..If other chosed to write somali to express their thought in the forums just like how DA likes to write English in every Forum weather is started by Somali or english, should they be punished? and to whom exactly did they committed to this horrible crime?..lol..

Listen sisters their is only one thing I agree with you guys, and thats writing in somali when you know the person don't know how to read it. Thats wrong I admit. But to say Somali is not important and it should have its own thread, I can't except it and is wrong thing to do. think about it and look at the things y'all writing and flip it..because then you will all understand my point.

wareer badanaa!!