Sign in to follow this  
OLOL

Somali Diaspora's Lost Generation

Originally posted by The Flipmode..:

quote:Originally posted by OLOL:

When I read about that 16 year old Somali kid in UK going to a prestigious school, I was so excited to share his success with my younger brothers and sisters to motivate and encourage them to excel in school like him. But then, when I look the education level of Somali kids in my neighborhood it is all a different story. They don’t speak good Somali. They don’t know anything about Islam. All they excel in watching TV cartoon shows, playing video games, listening to rap music and watching BET and MTV.

We are at least people who come from good culture to certain extent and good morale standings. Let us stop fooling around and fooling ourselves and start taking real good care of our kids.
Let us pull the pants up on the bottoms of our adolescent boys; pull the tight mini skirts down to our daughters' knees and make them dress according to Islamic way. Let us wake up! parent have to visit their children's schools, make time for their homework. As I said before those of us who are educated and successful have to give it back to the community.

Please go and visit your relatives homes and pay attention to how the kids are growing up and how they are being brought up for It will be a shocking eye-opener!

Well said....
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
That was the topic..Fidel Castro.. Was that guy really castrated.. ..Please don't change the subject..You either shut up or bring a suggestion to help the lost generation..

won't you...

Ibtisam   

That was the topic..Fidel Castro.. Was that guy really castrated.. ..Please don't change the subject..You either shut up or bring a suggestion to help the lost generation..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: maybe you are the lost one. What on earth happened to your manners. No wonder "somali women marry white guys" more often! redface.gif

Faheema.   

We can sit here and play the blame game…but the fact remains is that these kids need HELP and one of the ways they can get that help is If every single one of us is willing to give up a couple of hours of our precious time to motivate/inspire a young boy/girl in our local area… We have identified the problem…now lets implement the solution. This so called Lost Generation can be found once again… But only if we work together collectively as a community…. we can accomplish great things…I say it is worth making every effort to invest in our youth.

^^^^^IBtisaam you are lucky you share the first two initials like Me, IBrahim...walahi understand this..We had a nice topic that we are wasting...Can u go back and re-read the paragraphs..may be this Castle...castro is blaying with me... :D:D:D

Originally posted by The Flipmode..:

quote:Originally posted by The Flipmode..:

quote:

Originally posted by OLOL:

When I read about that 16 year old Somali kid in UK going to a prestigious school, I was so excited to share his success with my younger brothers and sisters to motivate and encourage them to excel in school like him. But then, when I look the education level of Somali kids in my neighborhood it is all a different story. They don’t speak good Somali. They don’t know anything about Islam. All they excel in watching TV cartoon shows, playing video games, listening to rap music and watching BET and MTV.

We are at least people who come from good culture to certain extent and good morale standings. Let us stop fooling around and fooling ourselves and start taking real good care of our kids.
Let us pull the pants up on the bottoms of our adolescent boys; pull the tight mini skirts down to our daughters' knees and make them dress according to Islamic way. Let us wake up! parent have to visit their children's schools, make time for their homework. As I said before those of us who are educated and successful have to give it back to the community.

Please go and visit your relatives homes and pay attention to how the kids are growing up and how they are being brought up for It will be a shocking eye-opener!

Well said....
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
That was the topic..Fidel Castro..
Was that guy really castrated..
..Please don't change the subject..You either shut up or bring a suggestion to help the lost generation..

won't you...
and the point was:

Can we do something to help our deteroriating Somali Generation??????????????? smile.gif

ElPunto   

The issue of lost youth definitely is a serious problem but I thought the original post was a massive generalization - there are thousands of decent and upstanding Somalis in North America and hundreds of individuals who have gone on to post-secondary education and have made successful lives for themselves and their families.

Ibtisam   

Originally posted by ThePoint:

The issue of lost youth definitely is a serious problem;-

i hope to GOD you guys don't believe in the things you type.

can someone define lost; what do you mean by lost, UNislamic, or lost tradition like we don't walk around in diracs and dacs. or Lost as in following the western ways of sex, hiphop and drugs :D which is not lost as you know what you are doing.

on a serious note, most of the so called "lost ppl" in wester countries are those who come to the countries at an old age and could not believe how much freedom they have or how many new things there are, and once they get into it, they can't get out. the young ones, have time to grow out and learn better things in live, so by the time they are 20, they have been there, done that worn the shirt and moved on.

peace out

hodman   

Castro u are impossible :D

Can't believe you posted an exercise!! :D:D

As for the lost generation here...yes bad parenting is a factor but let's not forget that these parents are often dealing with more than they know how to handle.

originally by Wordette

Fourthly, they should set expectations, and rules. If the kid doesn't meet the expectations, and breaks the rules, then they should beat him/her until s/he throws up blood. Okay maybe that is a little extreme but at least beerka waa inay ka xashiriyaan. Preferably with a Left hook. Seriously, parents should take note from Bernard Hopkins, and (without mercy) go hard to the body with their kids. (Getting hit in the liver is what dropped De La Hoya out, stone cold! and he was fighting quite valiantly for eight rounds People.)

A bit radical I would say!

Yeniceri   

The Cuban kid hijacks another thread! Why am I not surprised? :D

Olol:

You're well-versed points are certainly not lost on me, sxb. I work in an educational establishment with a fairly sizeable Somali student population. To be honest, I am dissappointed with the performance of these students most of the time. It seems as if "fitting in" is more important than getting good grades and preparing oneself for a future in college and beyond.

Like someone mentioned, it has to do with parenting. However, have we forgotten that some of the Somali kids didn't come to the U.S., for example, with their biological parents? :confused: I don't know the exact percentage and I don't want to guess, but I do know for sure that a sizeable number of Somalis came to the U.S. with "sponsors," sometimes with relatives-as-parents and even worse, strangers-as-family. How do those kids cope with the "culture shock" in the U.S. vis-a-vis the kids that came with their biological parents? That would most certainly be an interesting study that could perhaps shed more light into the whole saga.

Originally posted by OLOL:

As I contemplate of the future of my younger brothers and sisters who have never been to Somalia and have no profound bond or link whatsoever to their homeland other than what they hear from us, I've often felt they have been
cheated
by their parents and older generation.

Ain't that the truth! Its on us to remedy that fatal mistake, however.