Old_Observer

Ghelleh + Illey two Somali horsemen on the move. Not the Adal Empire, but maybe better

Ethiopia, Djibouti May Swap Stakes in Airlines, Ports
By Nizar Manek
 Bloomberg

Deal politically endorsed while details pending, minister says
Landlocked Ethiopia views tiny Red Sea state as key partner
Ethiopia and Djibouti agreed to swap stakes in strategic public enterprises including airlines, ports and telecommunications companies, as the Horn of Africa neighbors pursue deeper economic integration.
The deal would include exchanges of shares in Ethiopian Airlines Enterprise, Africa’s biggest carrier by revenue, Djiboutian Finance Minister Ilyas Dawaleh said in an interview. Shareholdings in companies such as the Doraleh Container Terminal and in a new oil terminal, Ethiopian Telecommunications Corp. and Djibouti Telecom SA will also be swapped, he said.

While the deal has been politically “endorsed,” the two countries will form a committee to work out the details, Dawaleh said by phone April 30. Ethiopian Information Minister Ahmed Shide confirmed the agreement in a text message.

The pact came as Ethiopia’s new prime minister, Abiy Ahmed, made his first foreign visit at the weekend to Djibouti, the tiny state located where the Indian Ocean meets the Red Sea and that’s become a strategic hub for the U.S. and China. Landlocked Ethiopia -- which the International Monetary Fund ranks as the fastest-growing economy on the continent -- is trying to boost its export-oriented manufacturing, making it reliant on neighboring nations with ports.

Dawaleh said Abiy told Djiboutian officials that both countries should start referring to their state-owned enterprises as belonging to all, rather than one nation.

Abiy said in a statement on his Facebook page that officials from both countries “underlined the importance of working towards the realization of complete economic integration of the two economies.” He didn’t elaborate.

7 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

Reading that I kept seeing in my mind a long and cherished quote by the German's war theoretician by the name of Carl Von Clausewitz, who once said that: "War is nothing but a continuation of politics with the admixture of other means."

And I thought how apt that is since in the case between Djibouti and Ethiopia, particularly the way the new Ethiopian's Prime-Minister have described the relationship between Djibouti and Ethiopia, it could be said that: "Complete economical integration is but a form of a political union by other means"

Correct again my friend. Its a political union.

Ghelleh proposed some form of confederation with Meles time. Meles said that the two countries need to be totally interlinked with life supporting items like water, electricity, food etc.

The problem with the ports have always been that if Ghelleh sales any share to Ethiopia the Arabs will come pay twice and even in court you cannot say NO. You have to sell it to them or even European American companies can come and demand that it be sold to them.

Same with telecommunication or electricity in Ethiopia where western countries are always pressuring to privatize.

This deal kills two birds with one stone for both countries.

Come join in, will be even better.

1 hour ago, Oodweyne said:

Nah, I'll take a rain-cheque on this one. And I shall be happy to wish the best of luck for both parties for their intended "economical union" and the "tying" of their "political amalgamation".

Especially, since I am having a bit of a three (3) decades old endless bother in trying to "extricate" myself from the last "foolish political amalgamation" I have had the misfortune to involved myself in with bunch of Italian-trained political mafiosi, who in turn were found teeming in place call Mogadishu.

So, this time around, I shall keep my "distance" from that sort "seductive talk" whilst at the same time wishing a swell of a time for those heading for the same sort of "political road" much traveled by the likes of me once upon time ago.    

I understand, but rest assured how much mafia like relations there is between Djibouti and Somaliland evryone in cluding Ethiopia understands evrything has to be done without guns.

That I think is best part of it.

Ethiopia has learned from Eritrea, owning a port is really not that much different. You have to pay for the services anyway whether yours or not. If you have gentlemen like Ghelle who wants to squeeze more, you squeeze him on other things too and all balances out.

galbeedi   

OO, forget about Illey, he is a poor Somali used by others.

Muxuu yidhi Filosoofarkii Allah ha u Naxariistee:

Djibouti ma dal madax banaan baa mise waa Taayerka Ethiopia. 

Ghelle thinks that we forgot about  his crimes and manipulations of the region and the Somali affaires from Zaylac all the way to Muqdisho. We know the Somali banks in Djibouti who facilitate money laundering and corruption in the region. As long as he is in charge of Djibouti the Somali saga will not finish. He is getting rich of the instability. He is advising Ethiopia to stay in Somalia. He is milking the war on terror.

He kicked Dubai because C/raxman Booreh is there. Ghelle and Somalia might have a common enemy in Dubai these days, but he is not our friend.

We the Adal  Empire that Mr. OO mentioned jokingly are not dead yet, and we must have a say on all of these. This is our country 

Both Djibouti and others had decided to blockade us and negotiate without our input.The average Djiboutian is starving living inside the most expensive place in the world without water and electricity, yet others are making deals and getting rich,

The same could be said about  the Somali Kilil. These people who should be trading in Zaylac, Lughaya and Awdal which is less than 200 km to every town in the zone are denied to their basic right to pursue trade and culture connections with their brothers. The old Adal empire which spread Islam in the region was decimated long ago, but is not dead yet.

Digniin.

Haddi Muqdisho, Hargeisa , Djibouti iyo Jijigaba nalagu iibiyo oo Soomaalinimadii meel la iska dhigo, the old Adal empire way tashan. Way tashan oo Hargeisa, Djibuoti iyo Muqdishaba waanu ka tashan. 

Wiilashan Hargeisa joogee ee waan go'aynaa leh,  toodu waa Ciyaar iyo maal urusi weeye, laakiin maalinta aanu Go'an gaadho, Maandeeq iyo Soomaali si run ah ayaa loo kala diri. 

War hooy , dilaalinimada joojiya oo ummada u adeega.

Cumar Gheelle dadka uu Dhacayo ee dhulkooda Ethiopia Ku Wareejinayo waa anaga.

6 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

Haddi Muqdisho, Hargeisa , Djibouti iyo Jijigaba nalagu iibiyo oo Soomaalinimadii meel la iska dhigo, the old Adal empire way tashan. Way tashan oo Hargeisa, Djibuoti iyo Muqdishaba waanu ka tashan. 

Wiilashan Hargeisa joogee ee waan go'aynaa leh,  toodu waa Ciyaar iyo maal urusi weeye, laakiin maalinta aanu Go'an gaadho, Maandeeq iyo Soomaali si run ah ayaa loo kala diri. 

War hooy , dilaalinimada joojiya oo ummada u adeega.

Cumar Gheelle dadka uu Dhacayo ee dhulkooda Ethiopia Ku Wareejinayo waa anaga.

Everybody knows what they are doing. There is enough lessons of history in this part of the world. Ethiopia ignored even suppressed the north and tried to deal with Eritrea, look what they got. The people in the middle said no more war.

Ghelleh is good at this will not ignore the old empire people.

Have you realized that empires don't like people who had empires in the past. Always afraid they will come back.

25 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

Ghelle thinks that we forgot about  his crimes and manipulations of the region and the Somali affaires from Zaylac all the way to Muqdisho. We know the Somali banks in Djibouti who facilitate money laundering and corruption in the region. As long as he is in charge of Djibouti the Somali saga will not finish. He is getting rich of the instability. He is advising Ethiopia to stay in Somalia. He is milking the war on terror.

But what else can he do/ what else could he have done in Somalia?

He helped with first TFG.

He worked hard to get Yemen, Ethiopia, Djibouti and Sudan to prepare and help militarily the second TFG, but other Somalis refused and used ICU/Eritrea.

What could you have done if you were in his place?

galbeedi   

He created the Carta government but did not help them politically. He Put Shariif Ahmed and made things worse.

I agree that he have done some good things, yet chaos in Somalia made him rich. without that,  he could have been like any other  small time dictator in poor hinterland in the Red Sea just like Asias Afework of Eritrea. 

12 hours ago, Che -Guevara said:

:):)

Once bitten twice shy. But Oodweyne is just too suspicious of Ghelleh and that is clouding his conclusions. Somaliland has only one way in this to my understanding. Build the highway through ililka. Build the mouse trap and they will come. Since the railroad has pushed a lot of truckers away the Somaliland Addis corridor would just boom overnight.

There is more than enough population in both Ethiopia and Somalia that can use this corridor and would prefer it.

Somaliland needs to work on Economic methods more than political. The politics will follow the money.

13 hours ago, galbeedi said:

He created the Carta government but did not help them politically. He Put Shariif Ahmed and made things worse.

I agree that he have done some good things, yet chaos in Somalia made him rich. without that,  he could have been like any other  small time dictator in poor hinterland in the Red Sea just like Asias Afework of Eritrea. 

You are being a bit if not more unfair to Ghelleh. His first responsibility is the country and people of Djibouti. On that he has done the best that can be done. Poverty in the slums of the port should not be chain for ever to hold the country. Now the slums can be elevated out of it.

The conflict between the forces in Mogadishu is the one to blame. Ghelleh did not have preference and if he had preference, did not act on it. He supported Abdulxasim, supported Sherrifka, supported Abdulahi Yusuf, but except for Abdulahi Yusuf no one even said thank you, as soon as they left Djibouti were all going to Cairo, which was enemy of Djibouti.

When he tried to help even more, he was rewarded with terrorism from Somalia. He had no choice, but keep himself, his country, as safe as possible and do what he can for peace in Somalia through Uganda, Ethiopia, Brundi etc.

He is a Somali elder, everyone should have shown respect and listening to his advice since he is now most experienced and most prominent Somali statesman.

5 hours ago, Oodweyne said:

Hence, this "inevitable reality" is actually the fact that seems to "motivating" the likes of Mr Guelleh, to fight against us in a rather vicious way. And it seems, him and his late uncle (i.e., late Mr Abtidon) have been at it in this fight. And did everything in their power ever since we in Somaliland started to crawl-out of the sheer devastation in which we have experienced from the political merciless hands of late Dictator of the Somali Republic.

Why is that both OodWeyne and galbeedi are so enfuriated by Ghelleh.

If I am to compare, Ghelleh is the most Ethiopian than any Somali leader, governor, MP or president anywhere. Then he is president of Djibouti.

Somalilanders have some influence in both Djibouti and Ethiopia. Ethiopia for example would never say this or that about Somaliland Independence. It can and does say one thing. What ever it is has to be peacefully done. On this there is unanimity in Ethiopia.

Djibouti on the other hand has more. Its the same with Ethiopia, no war in this part of the world, but Djibouti is also not accepting Somaliland Independence. It prefers some other arrangement up to confederation.

The Ethiopian stand is genuine what is believed internally and said outside are the same. If the Somali in the old Republic agreed to part ways or find an accomodation is the same for Ethiopia.

The kililka is also same as Ethiopian. Somalilanders are big enough, mature enough and Somali enough to be told what is good for them. They are Somali enclave big enough to choose their own and do what they want. That is fairly solid.

For OodWeyne a regime change in Djibouti may help, but for galbeedi nothing will change, it is what it is no matter who comes in Djibouti. It is a small Ethiopia. When the Tigray, Somali, Afar were down and counted out, Djibouti was also down and out and as soon as change happened in Ethiopia Djibouti changed overnight even same personnel.

Somaliland and Djibouti need to have good brotherly and if necessary good mafia talk and share the Ethiopian market. Then Ghelleh might be eaxctly same with Ethiopia in policy and action to wards Somaliland.