Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Tom Fordyce plots Mo Farah's rocky rise from refugee to European champion

N.O.R.F   

Tom Fordyce plots Mo Farah's rocky rise from refugee to European champion

Farah, arriving in Britain in 1993 from Mogadishu as a nine-year-old refugee, was almost immediately in trouble. Among the very few English phrases his father had taught him were 'where is the toilet?' and 'come on then'. Unfortunately, on his first day at school, he made the mistake of saying the latter to the local hard-nut and, in his own words, got 'twatted'

:D

Even then he was nearly led down the wrong path. Farah likes to have fun. Even in Tuesday's final he was grinning at his opponents, wagging his finger at others and looking behind him to wave Thompson closer. In his early 20s, it was more about the partying; he once stripped naked and jumped from Kingston Bridge into the River Thames.

Read more

N.O.R.F   

It was a proud moment. Somali pride restored somewhat and the papers today are full of it. Enjoy the moment reer UK :D

BOB   

Which is something you'd normally associate with reer Xamarka...the likes of Tuujiye and Wareegto Luga Cad. :D

Dadka Xamar ku dhashay waa lagu yaqaanaa maskax faluuqa. :D

Peace, Love & Unity.

NinBrown   

Enjoy what moment NORF. Him winning the race (yes-excellent). For the image of Somalis in the UK- not sure it will do much.

BOB   

He's a GOONER. I bet Tuujiye, A&T and NGONGE don't know that. :D

Peace, Love & Unity.

NinBrown   

you see not all somalis are on benefits. we are good athletes. i wanna read stories like this not about the benefits scroungers 12:00AM, Jul 28, 2010zac911

Does this prove anyhting. LOl...

BOB   

NinBrown

Be the best Somali that you can be, Trust me how you conduct yourself around your colleagues at work or all the non-somalis you associate yourself with is how these people will base their judgement on your community marka it will be great if we could all do our bit to help change our Community's image.

Mo has just done that, the same way that Raage Omaar and K'naan have been doing all these years.

Whoever expects a whole nation to be angels is clueless and we are no different marka my brother next time try to be little positive and speak kindly with those kids that our community seems to look down to simply because they are dealing...you can't imagine how much a difference one single good word can do for someone and one single smile can make a whole lot difference to a kid's confidence.

Thanks For Your Valuable Time.

Peace, Love & Unity.

ANTARA   

Caydhgate scandal can be put to rest for a while.

Indeed, a very positive role model for the young kids here in the UK. I think the fact that Mo is now so prominent in sports gives him that rare opportunity to inspire young Somali men in the U.K, something Rageh couldn't do when he was the only role model. And today at work colleagues keep coming to me with different newspapers showing Mo with his big grin as if they are telling me “we finally have some good news about Somalis”.

The community here in Canada is having a very bad media run as of late due to some dumb grown *** men committing crime.

To be honest we bring this negative attention on to ourselves and if only we were like other communitie who keep out of the spotlight instead of being attention whores.