Sign in to follow this  
Qac Qaac

Do we feel our culture is inferior to the west?

No it is not inferior by any way. I love everything about our culture, the food (yum!!) the manners, the importance of family, our music, the beautful poetry and literature and i love my diric. :D

I guess what happens in the West is just a simple case of migrants attempting to fit into the dominant culture, it happened with the Italians, Chinese( how many asians have you met with Anglo names like Sarah Chang or William Choo,etc etc..even those who cant speak english!!) but at the end of the day inshallah Somalis will truly realise how lucky we really are and give our roots the respect and appreciation it deserves.

Which makes me think maybe what is trully missing is an all round education of what it is to be Somali, what average young somali knows they various types of poems that exist, how many know the various types of traditional dances, major historical events, etc etc, i mean with the hip hop dominated culture today and with the popularity of freestyle battles would many somalis realise that a traditional pastime of young somalis was the composition of full blown poems tottaly alliterated in Poetry 'freestyle'battles

my answer would be No and i guess until such time when the average somali in the west could answer yes to such questions i dont see this situation of downplaying our heritage to disapear any time soon.

NGONGE   

No it is not inferior by any way. I love everything about our culture, the food (yum!!) the manners, the importance of family, our music, the beautful poetry and literature and i love my diric.

The manners?

What manners are these? The ones that allow a little 14 year old to sit amongst his elders and talk to them as if they’re his best friends?

The way mothers when they get angry with their infants would swear and use obscene language and “habar”?

The way a total stranger would feel it’s his/her right to know everything about you (from your age to the amount of money you get paid at work)?

All the above is not even the result of the war or the disintegration of Somali society.

** Sigh **

Abwaan   

Waa su'aale haddii aan dhaqankeenna ka tagno, ma dad kale dhaqankoodaan dhawraynaa? I understand that many Somalis were born outside Somalia but that doesn't give them an excuse to Forget about their background and culture. I think our fathers tried their best to pass the Somali culture onto us (the present generation) the ball is now on our side that we should keep this in a form that it reaches to the future generations (Insha Allaah) and why not use the better facilities that are available nowadays? A big thank you to those who reminded us over here that no culture is perfect, that is true.

Si kastaba ha ahaatee waxaa jira waxyaabo Soomaalida qaar ay moodaan inay yihiin dhaqan soomaaliyeed oo soo jireen ah sida Cunidda Qaadka; arrinkuna sidaas ma ahan ee halla ogaado .

Walaalayaal dhaqankeenna ceeb iyo ammaanba waa laga helayaa.

Blessed   

NGONG

Whats wrong with having a 14 year old chat to his elders. In th era where 'mentoring' 'role models' are common features of conversation regarding the downfall of Somali youth, am surprised that you have a problem with interaction between young and old. And mothers throwing obsenity at tehir children is not something encourage by dhaqan iyo deenba. Most mothers I know don't display such behaviour, so I don't see how that can be generalised or considered a Somali tradition.

Back to the topic!

I personally love the Somali culture (not to be confused with common behaviours). This stems mainly from my interest on all things cultural (whether it's Somali o not) – walahi, at the risk of sounding arrogant, our food, cloths; hospitality and literature (spoken word) are simply the best in comparison to other cultures.

It all depends, on how it is presented to the youth by parents and isn’t aleays dependent where you were born, how long you were in Somalia and how much Somali you have in you. My little brother who only recently visited Somalia for the first time in his whole life – is more dhaqan aware, literate in the language than some 20 year olds who actually spent their early years there. I know, people who are only half / quarter Somali exhibiting more dhaqan than the true farax’s xaliimos.

But it has to be said, whilst pride in your identity provides some sort of psychological comfort. People, have the right to decide what constitutes their culture and how they relate to it. I don’t have any problems with those people who aren’t so enthusiastic about Somali culture – as long as they spare me their superior ways; I’m not bothered by it. We have to understand that not everyone is brought up the same way. Whilst both my parents were culture-loving folks, I have cousins who don’t speak the language and get a little uncomfortable when with Somali people, the girls would never go to weddings or seen dead wearing a dirac. I don’t think, it’s because they consider it inferior and they are really cool, sweet people who were never exposed to Somali dhaqan, Somali people.

My point is; to love your culture is great and of benefit only to you but we need to be both tolerant and respect those who choose other cultures… after all, nationality isn’t what makes a person but their experiences- and Somalis isn’t the only community that questions the place of their culture … man we have more curry houses than traditional chip shops in the Great British Islands stealing from other cultures is a favourite past-time in this country – does that mean the English are self-hating… don’t bet on that!

If our culture is so great, why do we fear for it so much?

OG_Girl   

I respect our unique culture BUT not every thing in our culture soo good and have to keep it if any of our culture against the ISLAM well we have to throw it.So basically our culture should be Islamic Culture.

:D:D

salam

NGONGE   

NGONG

Whats wrong with having a 14 year old chat to his elders. In th era where 'mentoring' 'role models' are common features of conversation regarding the downfall of Somali youth, am surprised that you have a problem with interaction between young and old. And mothers throwing obsenity at tehir children is not something encourage by dhaqan iyo deenba. Most mothers I know don't display such behaviour, so I don't see how that can be generalised or considered a Somali tradition.

Nothing wrong with a 14-year-old sitting with his elders, but when he starts acting as if he’s one of them is the problem. It’s great that Somali culture encourages kids to speak their minds in the presence of adults; however, the lines of what’s right and polite and what’s rude have been blurred.

As for the mothers swearing at their kids, hey I didn’t make that one up. It’s a fact of life in Somali society. Swearing and habar are tolerated. In fact, they’re the norm. What would you call something that’s repeated and replicated by a society? I personally would call it a tradition.

I’m surprised you have not seen it! I seriously am!

Somali culture has its good points, most outweigh its bad points but we all conveniently decide to ignore them and pretend that none of it exists.

Blessed   

^^^^ I'm not exactly sure by your definition of 'Somali Society'. My interpretation of the accepted norms of Somalis is based on my observation of the Somalis that I grew up around. Now, whilst I have observed some parents who do insult their children and mothers who curse, I can't see how this can be interpreted as a common cultural practice.

Is this a practice exclusive to Somalis? Is it something that is enocouraged by psych of the average Somali, say like FGM (which is one of our negatives) and Qat are?

My point was that it can't be cosidered cultural as it isn’t a general trait of Somalis and as I said it is not something that is encouraged in the value system and religion of Somalis –! It’s like saying child abuse, which is a common occurance in this country is an accpted norm of British culture…

I think both scenarios that you have painted reflect bad etiquette on parts of adults in dealing with children. I was raised in a household, where adults were never to be referred on a names basis, where we were told our position as youths and clear boundaries were set. And this is how most of the Somalis I know were raised .. so as a result am assuming that it is an accepted practice.

I always thought the Somali culture was strict in that sense, that children were seen and not heard and that adults held all the wisdom, whilst the young once didn’t have any. Not a view that I’m crazy about, but it goes totally against your representation of Somali culture… again am talking about the commonly accepted ideas of society and not the actions of some ppl.

NGONGE   

There are rules which people accept as being right and just then there are practices, which are the realities that exist. All Somalis, as Muslims, will agree that praying is a duty but not all would pray. The cases I’ve mentioned above follow a similar line. I suspect that all Somalis know that bad behaviour and swearing in front of children is wrong, but the reality is that the majority do it. Those that don’t will at least tolerate it. It’s not something that’s exclusive to Somalis of course; other cultures suffer from it too. But, in our case we ACTUALLY tolerate it (or give the impression that we do). As I said in an earlier post, most of these things are born out of the lack of direction that we seem to have. There are no reminders for people of our culture. The original Somali culture might not condone any of these practises but the current prevalent culture does.

In the past, the lines and borders of Somali life were clearer but now it’s all one big blurr. This is why people “prefer” other cultures to their own. This might I add has nothing to do with conflict and war, it’s the fact that we’ve become lazy (or maybe we’re confused). We’re not adding anything new to the society. Where is our Somali media? We don’t have films and soap operas that tell stories about good and evil, thus reminding those who forgot of their obligations. We don’t have enough news that covers things other than politics. We don’t have documentaries that paint a picture of Somalia in the past and Somalia now. Even the poets are not as inspiring as they used to be. The lack of all this leads people to go their own way, creating their own version of Somali culture. Having a free hand to do so with no condemnation of guidance, in more cases than not, usually leads to the practices I’ve mentioned above (maybe I should say LED).

And breath....

Blessed   

I think that we have different interpretations of what culture is. For me it’s the unique set of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, and beliefs, institutions shared by a group of people...how do you define it?

I also think that these practices also change with time and with circumstances. Obviously, you’d get sub-cultures within the main culture and individual interpretations of it. But what makes something cultural to Somalis? Take our weddings for example, white dress, tuxedos, cakes music – all socially accepted by today’s Somali society…. common practice by Somalis from Toronto to Berbera…. But is it our culture. Does it belong to us exclusively and is it reflected by our beliefs? How can we call something ours when our mindset is against it?

As for the lack of activity on the part of those that are supposed transmit the cultural practices of Somalis (what ever that is)- I agree it is a major contributory factor.

Obviously, people were more concerned with survival than the edutainment industry. Alxamdulilah, recently there seems to be a revival taking place in that front…seen any good films from back home lately? I was watching the one about the geeljire that was going to the city to get a job on the way, he met a couple and lost their chickens.. *oh* sorry, I don't now why am giving you a commentary :rolleyes: .

So maybe you can start planning a clip teaching parents the effects that habaar has on their kids? You know, like one of those with a science bit?

Blessed   

I think that we have different interpretations of what culture is. For me it’s the unique set of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, and beliefs, institutions shared by a group of people...how do you define it?

I also think that these practices also change with time and with circumstances. Obviously, you’d get sub-cultures within the main culture and individual interpretations of it. But what makes something cultural to Somalis? Take our weddings for example, white dress, tuxedos, cakes music – all socially accepted by today’s Somali society…. common practice by Somalis from Toronto to Berbera…. But is it our culture. Does it belong to us exclusively and is it reflected by our beliefs? How can we call something ours when our mindset is against it?

As for the lack of activity on the part of those that are supposed transmit the cultural practices of Somalis (what ever that is)- I agree it is a major contributory factor.

Obviously, people were more concerned with survival than the edutainment industry. Alxamdulilah, recently there seems to be a revival taking place in that front…seen any good films from back home lately? I was watching the one about the geeljire that was going to the city to get a job on the way, he met a couple and lost their chickens.. *oh* sorry, I don't now why am giving you a commentary :rolleyes: .

So maybe you can start planning a clip teaching parents the effects that habaar has on their kids? You know, like one of those with a science bit?

Blessed   

^^^LOL! Dee mayee, waxa fiican inaad ku dadaasho sidaad dadkeena dhaqan xumada uga caawin lahayd..maxadaad uga sheekayn hadii aadan wax ka qabanayn.. ;) . I'm just encouraging you, even if I don't necessarily agree :D

Paragon   

Intepration of a given culture depends on the environment in which one is raised. Maybe we should define what culture is to certain people and then remark on it.

NGONGE   

Heh. I know, Ameenah. I was just teasing.

Dictionary.com defines culture as the following.

cul·ture P Pronunciation Key (k l ch r)

n.

a. The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.

b. These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population: Edwardian culture; Japanese culture; the culture of poverty.

c. These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: religious culture in the Middle Ages; musical culture; oral culture.

d. The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.

Intellectual and artistic activity and the works produced by it.

Fazliyah   

Salaam to you all

Ngonge I agree with you everything you said really I feel that in this point in time there is nothing to be proud about being Somali

And what kind of culture do we have anyway who are we kidding with