Sign in to follow this  
Elysian

need some advise from londoners

Elysian   

Dear SOLers,

For the last five months I’ve been living in London. So far so good, I’ve settled in quite well. Up until last week I hadn’t encountered any problems whatsoever. But since last week people have tried to steal from or scam me.

Last Saturday I was on a packed bus 25. As I was preparing myself to get off the bus, a short man in front of me turned towards me. At first I didn’t mind him, but a second later for some reason, lets say my intuition, told me to look down on my bag. I couldn’t see it due to the fact that the man had his coat on his arm and the coat was on my bag. I panicked and dived into my bag, where I felt the man’s hand quickly withdrawing… INSIDE my bag! I wanted to shout, but as the doors opened, I quickly went through my stuff and could see that he hadn’t taken anything I just got off the bus a bit shaky.

As I’m looking for a flat closer to work, a couple of days ago I registered on a homepage posting flats for rent. I’ve been in contact with two women so far who seemed serious, however when I asked to see the flat they came up with the weirdest explanation why I had to pay money in advance via Moneygram, or give them all my personal details before I could even see the property!

And today I got a call to my new mobile number, from someone claiming to be from T-mobile asking me to confirm my DOB. As I had just got the number from T-mobile, I didn’t think twice but gave them my DOB, and they just hang up on me. I called T-mobile, they haven’t tried to contact me, and the number (who had called me) didn’t belong to them.

I’m confused and worried, what can they do with my date of birth?? :(:(

nuune   

First welcome back to SOL,

Second, you are too worried, don't panick, and handle the situation in extreme care, settling in a new place is not an easy thing, you will come across all different things and weird stuff, always be extra vigilant.

Always have good information and reliable sources about what you are looking for.

Malika   

Elysian they can smell the Swed in you..Lol,a new comer in town..

Why not pop in any police station and report what happened..You never know,this might be an Identity fraud you just complied with..

As for the ad, girl what did you write in it? You didnt tell them your new in London,and a foreigner? did you?

Listen these are the times being Somali pays,find a relative,they might know someone whom knows someone with a flat to rent..There are people with council flats and they rent them out cheap..Tolkii uu tag smile.gif

Pick Pocketing is norm in any big city,so close the zip of your bag, be vigilant..It comes with the territory!

Stay safe girl...This reminds me of when I was a new Swed in town,smiled at anybody and everybody soon to learn,it can attract weirdos!..lol

Maaddeey   

Maasha Allah, Malika, i wanted to help, i couldnt come up half of what u gave, i even thought of "changing the DOB ASAP"!.

I used to check Indian shops windows to see what they have, but now its the East YURUBIANS, u can even find some help from ur local Mosque/Centre, but i'm not sure if the sis attends one.

Get a boyfriend(scratch that!).

Get a male companion,be it a friend or bro or cousin to help you find these things like flats etc.

As for pick pocketing and bag stealing, that is normal for any big city. My instinct tells me you should blend with the locals. The first thing that comes to mind is: Mess up your teeth,really bad.. dress up like lady gaga or rusell brand(i know,he is a dude). stop staring and looking confused. grab a daily newspaper. thats all i think of now.

Juxa   

First get out of east london. Not best place to live.

I agree with malika, you shont be on yr own. Contact family and friends, if u don't have any then u came to right place.

Elysian   

Thanks for the tips Malika. It’s probably written all over my forehead, we Swedes are to gullible lol…

I actually googled the phone number and I got so many hits… basically warning to give out personal details!

About asking relatives for a flat to rent, I’ve been doing that for the last three months… The only thing that comes up is in Tower Hamlet! Juxa, sis, I am trying to get out of east london. All my colleagues seem to have used gumtree and similar sites and been successful, so I thought why not give it a try.

LS, thanks for the concern bro!

Faarax-Brawn wrote:

The first thing that comes to mind is: Mess up your teeth,really bad..

:D

Juxa   

U sound genuinely nice person. I too was once an alien in this town. Anyways get savy anyone acting funny scream London is different than rest of europe.

I won't advise u to use websites. If you can afford use letting agencies. I will pm you few numbers but all in the north.

There might be sisters in sol who live in shared property and may have room

Malika   

Elysian,check your pm.

As LST,said make contact with the sisters in London,it sure helps if you know a few people here and there.

As for Swedes,being gullible yeah! life in Sweden is so peaceful..No chokora's!..heh

Baluug   

LOL let's see if J11's in the giving spirit :D

I never had a problem when I was in the east end and I must've had "foreigner" tattooed on my forehead, the only person within a 50 mile radius with a hat and no jacket on, but then again I only went for vacation and I'm a rather large gentleman icon_razz.gif Yeah, take everyone's advice and get yourself a roommate, or better yet go back to Sweden, it must be better than London, at least I don't hear SOLers complaining on a daily basis like they do about UK icon_razz.gif

Jane   

as everyone said just be careful iA, especially on the 25 bus. :eek:

Don't worry about being rude, jst clutch unto your stuff like there is no 2mrw.

I'll pm you about a sister looking to rent.

I don't think there's a particular problem with the East, there's shady people all over london.